Portland International Jetport | PWM

JetBlue not only lost the Spirit merger, they also lost the alliance they had with American (which I guess American is appealing), so I have to think they're in a bit of strategic floundering right now. I hate to see it; when my brother was a frequent traveler he loved them and proudly proclaimed himself #Mosaic4Life .

It is in the upper concourse to the left of Starbucks around where the new terminal addition starts. I'll miss those big couches and you have to be departing on a flight to be able to see the exhibit. I wonder if Linda Bean's Lobster Cafe will remain open now that she has passed? Have a safe flight Mark, I'm heading to Los Angeles next month and booked on Delta's A350 from LAX to ATL on the return which I'm really looking forward to.

IMG_1508.jpeg

Last edited:
I'd like to see Linda Bean's space replaced by the Bissell Brothers. Not only do they have some of the most tasty and interesting brews--and know how to design a space that is unique and fun--but they have a full-time chef and food operation going on now. In the old Cellardoor Winery space next door, in a corner of it will be a micro Northern Italian concept. And please, not a giant franchise like Panera Bread. Give it some local fare. Call Peter up. He'll ponder it. Why not? A lot more eyeballs from around the country will see what they do.

P.S. hate that couch. Looks so 80s.

I'd like to see Linda Bean's space replaced by the Bissell Brothers. Not only do they have some of the most tasty and interesting brews--and know how to design a space that is unique and fun--but they have a full-time chef and food operation going on now. In the old Cellardoor Winery space next door, in a corner of it will be a micro Northern Italian concept. And please, not a giant franchise like Panera Bread. Give it some local fare. Call Peter up. He'll ponder it. Why not? A lot more eyeballs from around the country will see what they do.

P.S. hate that couch. Looks so 80s.
More like 90s.....it has some serious Ross & Rachel vibes going on.

I'd also think of delays stacked up over LAX as an additional limit on nominal range.

I'd also think of delays stacked up over LAX as an additional limit on nominal range.
Fairly minor point but taxi fuel is a separate thing and usually isn't held against an aircrafts total range. Planes burn very little fuel at taxi speed even with delays.

Regarding runway length, the A220's specified takeoff distance is 6,200 ft. That assumes the aircraft is at full MTOW (maximum takeoff weight)

The A220's engines also produce more thrust than previous generations of engines used on older A320's and 737 NG's. An A220 actually has more takeoff thrust than a first generation A320. More thrust means less runway required.

In short, the A220 can definitely fly from PWM-LAX.

Thanks guys! I deleted my post last night after more research revealed the Breeze route between PVD and LAX realizing that Portland is only around 60 miles further east. All of my anxiety on whether the A220 could reach the other coast from PWM is now gone. My only concern was our runway length being 1500' shorter than PVD, would it make a big difference when it comes to weight limitations but it appears that those fuel efficient Pratt & Whitney engines can handle it. (y)

Last edited:
FLL or MIA seem like absolute no-brainers for PWM especially with cruise ship connections. Even BGR has seasonal FLL flights with Allegiant.

AA isn't flying seasonal MIA this year. That route might have been a little bit too long and thin for an E-175. it would be nice to see it come back with mainline equipment.
As the spouse of an Embraer 175 crew member, I can tell you that a PWM-MIA or FLL is not a stretch for that aircraft which has a range of 2,500 miles. The PWM-MIA flight is 1,353 miles. I absolutely wish American Eagle would add that route. I'd fly the hell out of that. For free. ;)

Just putting this out there, Breeze using PWM as a Breeze thru for BGR? PIT-PWM-BGR, CHS-PWM-BGR, ISP-PWM-BGR, for utilization of the routes?
Allowing passengers to reach Acadia, etc
Just like Elite tried to do.

Not unrealistic due to Breeze having only having 22 A220's in service (68 on order) and the Embraer aircraft going away later this year. It still amazes me on how they keep adding destinations and routes with a limited amount of aircraft and it must be a logistical headache especially when weather or maintenance issues occur. Would that officially give PWM hub status? :)

Last edited:
Not unrealistic due to Breeze having only having 22 A220's in service (68 on order) and the Embraer aircraft going away later this year. It still amazes me on how they keep adding destinations and routes with a limited amount of aircraft and it must be a logistical headache especially when weather or maintenance issues occur. Would that officially give PWM hub status? :)
I think a breeze-thru from PWM to BGR is pretty unlikely given the very short distance between the two...but if they add a few more destinations and frequencies from PWM I wouldn't be totally surprised if Breeze eventually opens a crew base at the Jetport.

I am not sure if anyone other than Portlander and myself might remember the time Business Express (a regional that flourished prior to 9/11 and at one point flew 24 flights/day from PWM) wanted to create a maintenance hub at PWM. The city was against it due to a perceived lack of space, but Gov. Angus King spoke up and said the state's land on the other side (probably where MAC Air is now) could be made available. In the end, the city and state agreed there was no room for a 75000 square foot hangar and BEx (per Wikipedia) eventually was absorbed into American Eagle.

I wasn't aware of the history! Shame that never came to pass.

A crew base doesn't have to be a maintenance base. Breeze has crew bases at PVD and BDL but no full maintenance facilities at either. A crew base would be an airport where Breeze can overnight aircraft. Breeze tries to make sure all their crews start and end their days at their base of origin rather than paying for overnight crew accommodations. a crew base would have mechanics and ground support but it wouldn't necessarily need a dedicated hangar.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware of the history! Shame that never came to pass.
I didn't recall all the details myself. If you have a subscription to the Press Herald / Telegram, they have made their archives available for free via newspapers.com. A quick search in there found it. (And after looking at Historic Aerials, I believe that much of the land King was suggesting is now the Long Creek youth facility.)

Elvis and his private jet at the Jetport. Did not know that. I've heard that a few celebrities or notable personalities have been flying in and out privately to the MAC Jets ramp. Former Bulls and Lakers coach Phil Jackson does. Anyone else fun coming into the Jetport?

Back