Somerville Infill and Small Developments

It doesn't look like they listened to the city from the last proposal, so hopefully this once again goes back to the drawing board.

Somerville has been dragging their feet on planning around the new stops. They were floating a 5-year development moratorium at Ball Square despite no publicly known proposals at the time, it has been absolute silence with Gilman, and they can't seem to pass any planning studies for East Somerville. Each stop is screaming for new housing, but it seems the city doesn't want to be blamed for the additional gentrification that comes with it and squeeze it all in at Union, despite begging for GLX...
yea, really thought we'd seen the last of UHaul's proposal.
Apparently not.
Wonder why they kept such poor care of their existing operation if they knew they were going to apply again.
East somerville is my closest T station and tho I love the new service, a cant imagine a more VE'd station.
The saving grace is that it might spur some decent new development in the area and not drive in self storage.
I think local governance has gone down hill fast in recent years, there seems to be little to no cooperation between groups or wards and nothing is getting done.
Makes me worry that proposals like this will just slide through and we'll be left with a housing crisis and a T stop in the middle of industrial blight for years.

The current mayor has benefited greatly from running against an opponent, in both of her elections, who is repulsive to many voters. Given Somerville’s strong mayor system, her propensity for sandbagging and slow-walking things can proceed unabated.

The current mayor has benefited greatly from running against an opponent, in both of her elections, who is repulsive to many voters. Given Somerville’s strong mayor system, her propensity for sandbagging and slow-walking things can proceed unabated.
It doesn't help that their husband flips houses here....

yea, really thought we'd seen the last of UHaul's proposal.
Apparently not.
Wonder why they kept such poor care of their existing operation if they knew they were going to apply again.
East somerville is my closest T station and tho I love the new service, a cant imagine a more VE'd station.
The saving grace is that it might spur some decent new development in the area and not drive in self storage.
I think local governance has gone down hill fast in recent years, there seems to be little to no cooperation between groups or wards and nothing is getting done.
Makes me worry that proposals like this will just slide through and we'll be left with a housing crisis and a T stop in the middle of industrial blight for years.
The current lack of new housing development is really all about the lack of affordable capital for larger scale of development. Now would be the time for the feds or state to come in a pump up the 100% affordable housing market with low interest loans, but, we are stuck with inaction.

Apparently the city Union Square Neighborhood Council has hired "Culture House" to be using the Homan's site for popups this summer. I find this to be really disappointing that they've dragged their feet on partnering on development, but at least the space is being used for something...

Yup, Ballantyne succeeding Curtatone ended Somerville's aggressive growth vision. She's terrible.

Last edited:

Back