Potential Soccer Stadium | Portland peninsula

Was there even a need to necessarily tie it back to state symbolism? Sometimes people take that stuff too far... not a fan of the name. Hearts of Soft Wood.

"Go Hearts of Pine. WOO" hmmm.

"Go Big Wood! WOO"

"Go HOP! WOO"

I dunno.

Huh? This name is...bad.

Portland Puffins?
Portland Beachcombers?
Portland Potheads?

From the US League One website, they’re drawing a connection to globally recognized teams — they did their research:
The Hearts nickname also draws upon global soccer traditions, as it is shared by esteemed clubs such as Scotland's Heart of Midlothian FC and Ghana's Accra Hearts of Oak SC.

The club motto is ‘Lead with Your Heart,’ putting a new spin on Maine's motto ‘Dirigo,’meaning ‘I Lead’ in Latin. "Leading with your heart is what drove the founding of this club,”

Yes, but the U.S. is a vastly different culture than anywhere else in the world. But I can see the new name working, or well enough. The mascot thing will be interesting. Will there be one? Does there need to be one? It doesn't have to be literal, a running jumping gesturing pine tree firing the T-shirt gun into the stands. I'm so glad it's not going to be something silly, like a puffin or a lobster. The most important design in all of this will be the forming of a community feel with food and drink. That's where the real revenue enters into the picture. I'd say a large, covered elevated beer garden with views of the field would be smart. And then another with tables for families, like Hancock has. Both have to be elevated to see the action properly.

I could see 'Hearts of the Sea' or 'Hearts of the Forest' or even 'Hearts of Maine' working. As nomc noted above, pine is a soft wood. It doesn't exactly invoke images strength. I guess pine is strong when you put a lot of it together and/or laminate it.

Hearts of Laminated Pine

There, that works. 😂

I am hoping Fitzy will be able to hold some UMaine soccer and football games once the renovation is completed. 10k is a decent-sized soccer venue, but curious how long this league will last.

I could see 'Hearts of the Sea' or 'Hearts of the Forest' or even 'Hearts of Maine' working. As nomc noted above, pine is a soft wood. It doesn't exactly invoke images strength. I guess pine is strong when you put a lot of it together and/or laminate it.

Hearts of Laminated Pine

There, that works. 😂
Hearts of Reclaimed Laminated Pine

It is 2024 after all

Back