Manchester Infill & Small Developments

The market-rate units, between 315 and 530 square feet, likely will offer lower rents than others because of the size. The plans call for 30 one-bedroom units and six studio apartments, with rents ranging from $1,500 to $1,700, according to documents submitted to the city.

"My understanding in the downtown is that there has been a cry for a lot more one-bedrooms," Cronin said.

I'd be impressed if they are capable of building the units with rents that low. Even in Manchester. There's condos/apartments in the area available right now that would be roughly in that range but they are all old.

$1500 is still a lot for one person though.

Sad thing is, because the wages are so low back east, doing the same job as I am here in Metro Portland--Oregon--I can (relatively) comfortably afford a nice 2BR at 1700/month, while I still get recruiters contacting me in Greater Boston offering at best 2/3's the pay I make here.

The whole of New England needs to increase things like minimum wage--in addition to dramatically increasing the housing supply--if it wants to staunch the bleed of population to other regions. I suspect that at least in NH, that won't change until we toss out our nepo-baby governor, and reform our governance so there's not the over-representation of fiscally-draining wealthy suburbs in state governance that we have now.

Honestly, the whole state just feels like a refuge for people who've never gotten over the loss of the '64 Goldwater campaign. If Mass hadn't spent decades making a mess of its housing and transportation situation, it'd probably be half as populated as it is now. Of course I have a lot of nostalgia for the place, but New Hampshire is a pretty backwards corner of the country. I worked with a travel nurse from Mississippi once who called New Hampshire "the Alabama of New England", and I think he's probably right.

Last edited:
Manchester’s World Famous Taco Tour this week was insane!
IMG_5624.jpeg

Back