Fantasy T maps

Agreed, but those shops cluster still closer to the trolley stop than the Fairmount Line. Pairs of names that feel right to me (Fairmount Line, Trolley):
  • Woodhaven, Mattapan
  • Mattapan Landing, Mattapan Sq
  • Mattapan Landing, Mattapan Loop
I currently have it as 3 stops since there's a lot going on. Right now the first stop interchanges with the Fairmount Line and is called Woodhaven, the second stop is located at Fairway St to directly serve the shops there and is called Mattapan Sq, and the last is the interchange with the RL called Mattapan Yard and is where the current "Mattapan" station is.

I currently have it as 3 stops since there's a lot going on. Right now the first stop interchanges with the Fairmount Line and is called Woodhaven, the second stop is located at Fairway St to directly serve the shops there and is called Mattapan Sq, and the last is the interchange with the RL called Mattapan Yard and is where the current "Mattapan" station is.
Gottt it, I should have read your map better, sorry for making you re-explain yourself. Those names all sound right to me, then.

I'd still vote for "Mattapan Loop" as the trolley terminus since it sounds more downtown-ey than "Mattapan Yard", but that's just my own nitpicky aesthetics.

Gottt it, I should have read your map better, sorry for making you re-explain yourself. Those names all sound right to me, then.

I'd still vote for "Mattapan Loop" as the trolley terminus since it sounds more downtown-ey than "Mattapan Yard", but that's just my own nitpicky aesthetics.
On the one hand, having Mattapan Sq and Mattapan Yard nicely parallels Watertown Sq/Yard, but on the other hand Mattapan Loop sounds cooler, and let's be honest a lot of fantasy map making is rule of cool based.

On the one hand, having Mattapan Sq and Mattapan Yard nicely parallels Watertown Sq/Yard, but on the other hand Mattapan Loop sounds cooler, and let's be honest a lot of fantasy map making is rule of cool based.
FYI, "XXX Loop" isn't without precedent in Boston either: The 36 bus has a stop that's officially named "Charles River Loop".

FYI, "XXX Loop" isn't without precedent in Boston either: The 36 bus has a stop that's officially named "Charles River Loop".
I've used that name for my fantasy/unrealistic extensions of mainline HRT to Millenium Park and Dedham Mall. That area has had route terminals called "Charles River Loop" for the 36, and the 34 used to terminate at "Dedham Line", before the late 2019 bus routing (IIRC?) changes extended it a few extra blocks to "Dedham Mall".

I try to avoid using streets because it sometimes feels like it suggests that the only notable thing about the station is what road it's next to, not who or what it serves. Same with cardinal direction names, I feel like that says that the only interesting thing about a place is that it's kinda near some better place. Obviously this makes finding names significantly more difficult.

I've always been bothered with the Green Line's street running stops being on the subway maps, (they're on there since it's essentially a "urban rail + KBR map" and not a "rapid transit map"). For me, I generally treat them as streetcar lines as they are, or group them with bus routes, on my own maps. The only stops on streetcar/bus routes that I'd ever feel like assigning names would be whenever they intersect and meet another bus route, or if the streetcar/bus line is converted to proper rapid transit with rapid transit stop spacing.

Local stop services like buses & streetcars I'd assume only ever use the names of streets/roads, save for major squares where they may intersect another transit route. Only for rapid transit or mainline rail stop services would go the effort of assigning proper names for stops.

Isn't the trolley stop much closer to what people actually seem to consider Mattapan Square (Blue Hills Ave X Cummins Hwy)?

This is based on my one visit to the neighborbood, so anyone who knows better please correct me.
As somebody who goes to the area often (the Neponsett trail is outstanding), my opinion:

The Blue Hill Ave exit from the Fairmount Line platform is at the edge of the Square. The Cummins Hwy exit is distinctly not in the Square. The Square itself is exclusively on Blue Hill Ave, running north from Cummins Hwy to right before the Fairmount Line tracks. Essentially, both stations are at the edge of the Square, so neither wins on geography alone. But I'd say the trolley station has a long history of association with Mattapan Square and should be named accordingly. The railroad station is mostly not in the Square, lacks recent history, and therefore could easily be named for something else (Woodhaven, Mattahunt, Blue Hill).

View attachment 50141
We're going to call this the finger edition. Now that I've got the Green Line (mostly) done, the main reason I'm here is that I'm looking for feedback and suggestions for a whole wack ton of station names, both to make sure ones I've chosen make sense and to make the ones I haven't renamed yet less boring. I've got the C Branch, Arborway Line, and Fairmount Line mostly covered, the A and F branches are about half and half, and the B branch is not great. Here's a Google Mymaps with all the station locations. (edit: fixed)
  • The one that's really bothering me is Mattapan. I've chosen "Woodhaven" for the BHA Fairmount Line stop, but I've gone back and forth on what to call the stops at Mattapan Sq and the current Mattapan station. A previous iteration had "Mattapan Sq" and "Lower Neponset" respectively, but it just didn't feel right.
  • I'm fine with keeping Heath St, it has name recognition, but all the other "_____ St/Rd/Ave" ones I'd really like to have something more interesting for.
As a BLS alum, that "Boston Latin" station is grating on me. That's Latin Academy, not Boston Latin. Sumus Primi, etc.

1715032510058.png

Getting the UR to make a perfect U is so satisfying that I just need to share it. While I'm here, if there was a station under the Tobin Bridge at Tremont St, should it be called Charlestown, Bunker Hill, Navy Yard, or something else?

This might just be my preference, but I'd suggest adding a slight white highlight around each line. You've got it on the Washington St GL branch as it crosses the CR, and it looks good.

This might just be my preference, but I'd suggest adding a slight white highlight around each line. You've got it on the Washington St GL branch as it crosses the CR, and it looks good.
Yeah this is what the official MBTA style does, but I'm still finalizing the actual layout of the lines and so I just haven't gotten around to finishing up all the details. There's still some missing station names, missing terminus line blobs, missing outlines over the water and CR, etc. The only part of this map I'd consider truly finished is the SW Corridor and Huntington Ave.

Last edited:

Back