"Dirty Old Boston"

That's a great shot. It really shows the unique way Boston's skyscrapers in the Financial District are juxtaposed at myriad orientations, looking like a collage of photos mixed together, compared to the straight linearity of other cities' grid-based skyline.
So true. There is nothing like it.

1713070260808.jpeg

Some "dirty old cars" in Somerville. Probably run on leaded gas, very dirty! 1970 VW Bus, late 60s Chevy pick up, early 80s Chevy pick up (Scottsdale?), ??? Early 80s Lincoln and ???

View attachment 50041
That '80s Chevy Pickup isn't quite right, looks like it has the roofline of a more modern truck and they grafted the classic nose on.

Looks like a Mercedes SL behind it.

1713070260808-jpeg.49586

What a great picture! I wonder how much pearl clutching there was when this was going up! Ditto for the taller Hancock and Pridential tower in the 60s
I could be wrong, but the pearl clutching/NIMBYism rose to significance later, in the late 1960s after the BRA's urban renewal projects thoroughly traumatized the public. Before that, I think Boston was pretty much forward-looking and open to new development. That said, I don't recall any opposition to the newer Hancock tower when it was proposed and built in the late 60s/70s.

Last edited:
View attachment 48214
Looking through this thread, it's amazing how this building on Milk St has survived so many changes to the area. (Taken earlier this year)

In a very odd way, 177 Milk suffered significantly with the demolition of the Central Artery, in that it no longer had the platform for wrapping the giant Christmastime red ribbon around it each December. That was one of the more memorable branding gimmicks in late-20th century Boston that I can think of.

Back