archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #4981
jass

Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
There's not enough time to check fares between BBY and SST so they functionally don't. On the Providence/Stoughton line, at least, this actually applies out to Ruggles.
Correct, Back Bay to South Station was promoted as free as a weak attempt to advertise the service..

It has functionally been free forever because tickets never have been and never will be checked between the two.There is not enough time. So why not use it as a selling point?

Same reason SEPTA has free travel between the three underground urban stations. There is simply no time to check fares.

Ironically, the new fare system would allow them to charge for this free ride.

Back in the day, they WOULD collect fares coming inbound from Yawkey because it was a low floor platform so the conductor would easily see the 2 people who got on. I am guessing with full high platforms and automated doors, fares are rarely collected inbound.
jass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:36 PM   #4982
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
There's not enough time to check fares between BBY and SST so they functionally don't. On the Providence/Stoughton line, at least, this actually applies out to Ruggles.
I don't think they check fares on any of the NEC lines until after Ruggles. The stops are just too close together for the conductors to engage in that before having to run off to operate a door (another pet peeve of mine). I also know plenty of people who buy the 1A pass, which is checked before Forest Hills, but then actually deboard at Roslindale, Belvue, etc., because the trains are still too crowded for a second check or review of whether people rode too far.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:44 PM   #4983
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
I don't think they check fares on any of the NEC lines until after Ruggles. The stops are just too close together for the conductors to engage in that before having to run off to operate a door (another pet peeve of mine). I also know plenty of people who buy the 1A pass, which is checked before Forest Hills, but then actually deboard at Roslindale, Belvue, etc., because the trains are still too crowded for a second check or review of whether people rode too far.
Lately I have seen them checking again after Forest Hills - but generally that has been true (if they even checked at all by Rozzie Square/Bellevue).
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:36 AM   #4984
cden4

Just to clarify, BBY to BOS is free. BOS to BBY is not.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #4985
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
Just to clarify, BBY to BOS is free. BOS to BBY is not.
Interesting. I'm assuming this is a personal verification?
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:39 AM   #4986
The EGE

Here's a 2006 press release from when the policy was implemented. It does appear to be inbound only. I assume that is to allow ticket checks to take place on outbound trains immediately after departing South Station.
The EGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #4987
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by The EGE View Post
Here's a 2006 press release from when the policy was implemented. It does appear to be inbound only. I assume that is to allow ticket checks to take place on outbound trains immediately after departing South Station.
As I mentioned previously, outbound checks arent done until after BBY anyway, and thats always been the case, because theyre both in the same zone.

The press release was just clarifying that train staff didnt have to pay attention to who got on at BBY
jass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #4988
sm89

New story on West Station:
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/tra...-west-station/

How is it that so many MBTA and MassDOT board members and elected officials are all for this, but apparently it can't happen. Don't they have that power?
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:32 PM   #4989
kingofsheeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
New story on West Station:
https://commonwealthmagazine.org/tra...-west-station/

How is it that so many MBTA and MassDOT board members and elected officials are all for this, but apparently it can't happen. Don't they have that power?
The only plausible defense for the delay that I can see has to do with the fact that the planned neighborhood has yet to be built. And with a local DMU already in place, it seems silly to build a commuter rail station without including other future Red/Blue/Green/MRT line extensions.

Trust me, I want West Station to be built as well. But I'm not going to go Don Quixote on this delay. Has to be done right though. Even if I do feel that 2040 might be a bit silly.
kingofsheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #4990
DominusNovus

Laymanís question: Wouldn't that station be far more useful if we had EMUs (or DMUs), given how close together all these commuter rail stations would be? Between Yawkey and Brighton, it seems like a lot of stop and go in a short distance. Not a problem for trains designed for that, but a real pain for full locomotives.

Not to mention that those layover problems would be ameliorated by NSRL...
Old 12-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #4991
jklo

Yeah West Station would be much more useful with Indigo/NSRL given how close B is to it.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #4992
DominusNovus

Almost entirely unrelated, but I donít remember seeing this mentioned on here, but during the Wollaston reconstruction, riders can take the commuter rail from Quincy Center for a subway price.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...7DJ/story.html

Weíll have to check this out come January.

Last edited by DominusNovus; 12-12-2017 at 10:57 PM.
DominusNovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:01 PM   #4993
CSTH

Cool.

(But why does anyone pay more to take CR instead of subway on a regular day?)
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:57 PM   #4994
DominusNovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
Cool.

I cant think of a good reason myself.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:30 PM   #4995
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominusNovus View Post
I cant think of a good reason myself.
The TransitMatters Regional Rail plan will call for the rationalization of fare zones. It makes no sense why it costs $6.25 to ride from Quincy Center to South Sta and $6.75 to ride from Braintree to South Station on Commuter Rail, compared to flat $2.75/$2.25 on the Red Line.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:07 AM   #4996
DominusNovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
The TransitMatters Regional Rail plan will call for the rationalization of fare zones. It makes no sense why it costs $6.25 to ride from Quincy Center to South Sta and $6.75 to ride from Braintree to South Station on Commuter Rail, compared to flat $2.75/$2.25 on the Red Line.
Such a tease. PS, do you guys have any plans to refresh your website? There's some out of date stuff all over the place.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #4997
datadyne007

Quote:
Such a tease. PS, do you guys have any plans to refresh your website? There's some out of date stuff all over the place.
Yes. I've raised this.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #4998
djimpact1

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
I've been asking about that for years...found a post from 4 years ago I made, concerning this same exact observation/scenario: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewt...23615#p1223615
djimpact1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #4999
Joel N. Weber II

Re: EMUs

Quote:
Laymanís question: Wouldn't that station be far more useful if we had EMUs (or DMUs), given how close together all these commuter rail stations would be? Between Yawkey and Brighton, it seems like a lot of stop and go in a short distance. Not a problem for trains designed for that, but a real pain for full locomotives.

Not to mention that those layover problems would be ameliorated by NSRL...
Wouldn't it be great if Tesla would build trucks that you could drop any existing unpowered commuter rail coach onto, that had some approximation of a Tesla Roadster 2020 drivetrain hooked up to each axle and the battery pack mounted in the truck so that all you have to do after that is hook up the brake lines and MU control cables?

https://www.tesla.com/roadster reports a 1.9s 0-60 time, which is better than 30 mph/s; I think some Metro North EMUs and some US streetcar specs list 3 mph/s, and if F=ma, if you're willing to have 1/10th the acceleration, you should be able to accelerate 10 times the weight. If the Roadster ends up weighing 4000 pounds (the weight isn't public AFAIK, but it does seem to have quite a large battery pack which probably isn't light), then each Roadster drivetrain ought to be able to accelerate 40,000 pounds, so four of them would be able to handle 160,000 pounds, and http://www.kawasakirailcar.com/CT_MBTA claims the heavier of the Kawasaki bi-levels are only 131,000 pounds, which leaves some room for the battery packs to add a bit to the weight of the train.

There might be a need to improve the cooling and adjust the gear ratio in adapting the Roadster powertrain to commuter rail.

Edit: an alternate way to look at this is that the Tesla Semi claims 20 second 0-60 with 80,000 pounds and four motors (the 2020 Roadster has 3 of the same motors); perhaps a fourth motor per train axle would be needed to do 10 second 0-60 for 40,000 pounds per axle.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:31 PM   #5000
Joel N. Weber II

Re: Orange Line bustitution

Apparently the Orange Line was bustituted today due to a broken rail on the bridge over the Mystic.

What I'm curious about is why the express track wasn't used to avoid the broken rail. Perhaps that would have meant no northbound trains would have stopped at Assembly, but wouldn't getting off at Assembly by changing to a southbound train at Wellington or heading from Assembly to stops north of the Mystic by changing at Sullivan have been less of a pain than bustitution?
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote