archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > General

General Misc. topics.

Old 02-04-2018, 11:03 AM   #4401
TheRifleman

Re: Open Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
I'd take ten of them every one of your type.
Whatís my type?
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:17 AM   #4402
kmp1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
Whatís my type?
I kind of envision you as a racist George Costanza with even less self awareness.
kmp1284 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #4403
TheRifleman

Quote:
I kind of envision you as a racist George Costanza with even less self awareness.
Sorry that I demand accountability and transparency concerning individuals.
The bottom line, men vs women, Black, white, green, red, Asian, whatever.
Money determines freedom in America. ó-it doesnít matter what race or color you are.

Ask yourself why isnít Weinstein in prison right now? The guy is serial rapist. Talk about great American justice system we have. No but arrest people for smoking pot?

I actually hated Seinfeld.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:53 AM   #4404
Jouhou

Quote:
I picture him like some free state project libertarian of the coos county nh variety with a heavy Massachusetts accent that's always ranting about the traffic.

... And immigrants. Even though the only border near us is Canada. Granted, the Quebecois can be quite obnoxious.
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:08 AM   #4405
Jouhou

Also. Truth here. Rifle don't you think maybe trump is attacking the fbi because he's either guilty or an idiot with authoritarian tendencies? I know you people know. I've gotten a few of y'all to admit it. Doesn't it worry you that you're supporting a movement that is constantly attacking our institutions and constitution? Do you want to be like China? North Korea? Russia? Turkey?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:32 AM   #4406
CSTH

Quote:
Sorry that I demand accountability and transparency concerning individuals.
The bottom line, men vs women, Black, white, green, red, Asian, whatever.
Money determines freedom in America. ó-it doesnít matter what race or color you are.

Ask yourself why isnít Weinstein in prison right now? The guy is serial rapist. Talk about great American justice system we have. No but arrest people for smoking pot?

I actually hated Seinfeld.
{Kisses fingers like an Italian chef} This made my morning
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #4407
tysmith95

Rifle thinks everything is a conspiracy. It's hilarious.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:37 PM   #4408
CSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
Do you want to be like China? North Korea? Russia? Turkey?
You forgot 'Rhodesia'...
Old 02-06-2018, 01:45 PM   #4409
KentXie

Quote:
How can people think itís okay to have unregistered people running around our country
Me thinks that you and other Trump supporters think it's okay to have unregistered people running around in our country as long as they are WHITE.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:00 PM   #4410
Brad Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
Me thinks that you and other Trump supporters think it's okay to have unregistered people running around in our country as long as they are WHITE.
Hmmm, so much for your recent call for civility. You must be so used to throwing out this kind of casual racism you can't even see it for the racism it is.
Brad Plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #4411
CSTH

Quote:
How can people think itís okay to have unregistered people running around our country?
To be clear, there was until recently a very successful program that had been in place for many years, which turned "unregistered" people into "registered" people, and once they "registered" they were able to pay taxes, comply with OSHA, get their kids vaccinated, invest in their own education, call the police to report crimes and dangerous situations, etc.

But now the current administration is kicking these "registered" people out of the country anyway. And it has stopped the program that was very successfully "registering" large numbers of "unregistered" people. And it has blocked proposals to expand the program to additional groups of "unregistered" people.

All of these actions have the effect of increasing the number of "unregistered" people "running around the country". To be clear - yes, this is the effect of the current GOP & Trump admin policy.

So it should be clear that "unregistered people running around the country" is not the real issue (or at least, not the real target of the Trump/GOP policy) ... and if you think it is, then I can only suggest that you should consider finding better sources of news and information.

Last edited by CSTH; 02-06-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #4412
KentXie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Plaid View Post
Hmmm, so much for your recent call for civility. You must be so used to throwing out this kind of casual racism you can't even see it for the racism it is.
Racism is to say that white are inherently inferior to other races which I did not make any mention of. Racism is to treat a white person differently because of their skin which I did not. I did not once disparage white people in my statement. I stated that Trump supporters do not care for illegal immigrants who are white (i.e. of European descent) which can be inferred, as Trump and his supporters never once mentioned kicking illegal Europeans out but mentioned many times when they happened to be black, Hispanic, or of Middle Eastern descent. That, by the way, is what racism actually is because you are treating a group of people differently (read 'worse') based on their skin color. It would have been casual racism if I said that white illegals should be treated worse than other illegals, which I didn't. Instead, I'm pointing out they are not subjected to the same treatment as other illegal immigrants. In this case, illegal immigrants who are Europeans are given a pass whereas other illegal immigrants are not.

But nice try Brad Plaid. Stick to something you actually know about.

Last edited by KentXie; 02-06-2018 at 03:22 PM.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:14 AM   #4413
Jouhou

Just a more neutral explanation about political appeals to various demographics- the gop narrative to rail on "illegals" while quietly working to also disadvantage legal immigrants is so that they won't lose the support of their surprisingly large Latino electorate while at the same time touting accomplishments to their um. Angry old white guy demographic. The GOP itself isn't racist. They are just executing a strategy that involves racial demographics. Talk to a Republican Latino in the southwest, they seriously think the rhetoric is only targeting "illegals".

Unfortunately the angry white guy demographic is still important for winning elections... So you know. Pandering to them.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:09 AM   #4414
Sprngh2o

Angry Black guy? Who panders to them?
Sprngh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #4415
Brad Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
...In this case, illegal immigrants who are Europeans are given a pass whereas other illegal immigrants are not.
Source? I'd like to see this mysterious pass.
In other much more positive news congratulations to Elon Musk and his team on their SpaceX Falcon Heavy achievement. There is now a Tesla roadster orbiting the sun! Love the can-do spirit of go getters, such a contrast to the sad pathology of professional victims and safe space betas.
Brad Plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:07 PM   #4416
statler
Administrator

You forgot "snowflakes" and "cucks".

I almost had Bingo with that one post dammit.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:20 PM   #4417
bigpicture7

Quote:
Source? I'd like to see this mysterious pass.
Here is your hard evidence:
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/...03122414553656

It takes a particularly insecure person to be jealous of the so called "entitlement" of others.

Quote:
Love the can-do spirit of go getters...
Those with true can-do spirit take the high road and concern themselves with their own quality-of-being, rather than belaboring themselves with concern over whether someone else has it slightly "easier" than they *think* is equitable. I thought Atlas was supposed to shrug?
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:26 PM   #4418
bigpicture7

http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/...03122414553656

Quote:
Despite current U.S. laws that forbid discrimination on the basis of nationality, we find that labor certification approvals differ significantly depending on immigrantsí foreign citizenship, even after controlling for key factors.
This was a rigorously controlled study. A "scientist" or "engineer" from "Germany" is significantly more likely to gain legal status than an otherwise IDENTICALLY credentialed applicant from "Mexico"
Old 02-07-2018, 12:29 PM   #4419
bigpicture7

Honestly, I really don't understand why libertarianism has to go hand-in-hand with an obsession that the present system must already be 100% meritocratic?

Why can't one (such as Brad) believe in the value of freedom and can-do spirit, while also being willing to admit that we might not, at present, have a perfect meritocracy?

(Here's a hint: yes, Brad, you can believe in can-do attitude AND look at quality data and admit we might not be at a state of meritocracy yet.)
Old 02-07-2018, 02:31 PM   #4420
Jouhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
Honestly, I really don't understand why libertarianism has to go hand-in-hand with an obsession that the present system must already be 100% meritocratic?

Why can't one (such as Brad) believe in the value of freedom and can-do spirit, while also being willing to admit that we might not, at present, have a perfect meritocracy?

(Here's a hint: yes, Brad, you can believe in can-do attitude AND look at quality data and admit we might not be at a state of meritocracy yet.)
Koch Brothers spending lots of money to teach Americans the evils of "collectivism", Ayn Rand, etc. have distorted American libertarianism. It's more ideological zealotry than it is real libertarianism.