archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > General Architecture & Urban Planning

General Architecture & Urban Planning All things architectural or urban in general, or withinin cities outside of Boston & Greater New England.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #1
stick n move

New us masterplanned city.

Ive been thinking about this for a while but how cool would it be if the united states decided to build a new masterplanned city in a centrally or strategically located position. They could start from scratch like cities over seas align the airport not to affect downtown and make something great. It would create a ton of jobs too. Masterplan a new mega city from scratch where we take the good from all the great cities and incorporate them. You can build the subways and roads ahead of time where they are perfectly designed to go exactly where they need to go with all brand new trains and stations. Then build a grid but with certain things to keep it interesting.

We build pretty nice art deco towers these days too so there would be no need for the skyline to be boring. If I was a billionaire id do this. Built a ton of wonderful supertalls in all the different styles over time. Make the highways go next to the city not through. Create smsterdam like channels if neeed be. You could really make something incredible in america since we always do good ground levels vs dubai and china. I think this would be a good idea because our population is exploding. Create a green masterplanned mega city where everything is brand new and perfectly designed where we incorporate the best ideas from great cities all over the world.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:30 PM   #2
CSTH

Re: New us masterplanned city.

I like the big-picture thinking.

With all the under-utilied infrastructure in shrunken cities like detroit, what's the potential for overlaying your 'new masterplanned megacity' on a place like that?
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #3
Hubman

Great idea! I've dreamed many times about this.

Why should China have all the fun? They get to build new ones every year or so.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
tysmith95

Where though? Would it be in a mid-west city.

Maine could be an option.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
stick n move

Idk somewhere along the coast is obviously preferable. Probably somewhere with generally good weather as well but doesnt need to be florida or anything. Id think maybe like maryland or virginia maybe. It would be a mega city so probably along the east coast where the major cities are and within transit distance. I know from living in the nc area there is tons of land where weirdly the worst towns are by the ocean and it gets better inland. I think this could be a cool solution to our mega population and all our cities being very old. You could literally include the best parts from every great city and not the bad. I wonder how it would work in the us vs over seas. You could have the govt be the main party financially and lay out the initial road grid and transit system then sell off the blocks to developers from the country and all around the world. It could be a dubai type situation without the mess that is. It could be an up and coming city thats cheap to move into. Id imagine start in the middle and build your way outward. You see these masterplanned cities popping up all over the world but their kind of horrible because theyre like huge office parks. We could really do it right here.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #6
Hubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Where though? Would it be in a mid-west city.

Maine could be an option.
Some of the islands could do. Some minuscule coastal townships between BH and Eastport would also work. There are lots of un-incorporated territories up on the St. John River and other places in Northern Maine.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
Hubman

https://www.worldtravelguide.net/fea...-simple-steps/
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...step-diy-guide
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._own_town.html
Old 04-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
stick n move

All of those "finger" peninsulas on the Potomac/Chesapeake bay are just farmland and even the peninsula on the right that the Chesapeake bay bridge goes to is as well, so those could easily be used as a blank slate for a brand new waterfront east coast city that ties into the rest of BOS-WASH. Its close to DC also and could be tied right into the Amtrak system and other train lines that run down the coast and you have a blank slate to start from so they don't have to be added in later.

You could use something like Quincy Market as your city hall.

Then knock out a big piece of the grid to give it a central park as the main park also like we have in Boston.

Then you'd have water on both sides of the city with bridges leading over to one of those peninsulas like New York which would give downtown a distinct area from the rest of the city.

They wouldnt be old like these, probably concrete, but that would look cool because no other city has a bunch of new school concrete cable stay bridges leading to the city in the way New York has with its older bridges.

Theres plenty of different styles now, and you can also paint them different colors if you want and have different colored cables like grey or black or even red if you want.

It would be on a peninsula so the downtown would be separated from the rest of the city because of the water giving it an NY feel, but new school and probably not 2 distinct skylines so it would look more like just midtown as the whole city.

You could also have public spaces every couple of blocks and small parks like Paris.

Give it a high line like New York but you could build it out of scratch from concrete and have it encompass the entire city.

Make sure any garages in the city are covered up like this side of the garage in Assembly.

It would look different than this but heres and example of some planned cities.

Make sure theres no less than 5 story buildings on all main roads, on a gridded street system, but have a few roads that change it up and maybe circle around or something. The area on the Chesapeake bay looks good, but I just took a quick look and saw that, but theres tons of places along the eastern seaboard that you could use.

Last edited by stick n move; 04-04-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
kmp1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
All of those "finger" peninsulas on the Potomac/Chesapeake bay are just farmland
Right, it's just farmland. What do we need that for? We can bulldoze it all and feed the new residents Soylent Green.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
stick n move

Im saying you wouldn't have to displace whole towns and people from their homes and thats the only way your going to get a blank slate to start from. I didn't anywhere say farmland isn't important, but theres LOTS of it if you've ever taken a flight over the center of the US thats literally all it is. Using up a few farms on waterfront eastern seaboard property I think is a good trade off as you can easily just move them somewhere else, not a huge deal.

Theres sooooo much land in America that literally the entire middle of the country is farmland. In the Marines I took a flight from Pensacola Fl to Seattle diagonally across the entire United States and it was just farmland for hours on end basically the whole way with some scattered small towns here and there. Theres a lot of it in this area too and you could move it from whatever peninsula you take to somewhere else.

Its a lot easier to move a farm than a town, your not really displacing anyone from their home. This is waterfront property on the Chesapeake Bay, great for a city, doesn't really matter that much for a farm. I think it would be a worthwhile trade off if they were serious about doing this. Like I said I just looked for 2 seconds and saw this on google earth theres a million other options and this is just one idea. It would be important to build on the ocean either on the eastern seaboard or out west, but its much more populated out west. This would tie in directly to the highways and train lines already running down the east coast. Nowhere did I say take all the farms in America and build cities on them lol. Theres plenty to go around, and if you want to stay in the area theres plenty of land to move to.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #11
Shepard

Build AMERICA CITY smack in the middle of a solidly-red state cornfield, with urban plans straight out of the Bible. A "libertarian" paradise governed by a strict evangelical moral code, with 24/7 gun shows in the Walmart parking lot. Recruit heavily from purple districts in swing states across the country (this is key). Surround AMERICA CITY with a beautiful wall to, um, keep out undesirables.

Profit.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #12
coleslaw

This would be incredibly wasteful and it makes far more sense to adapt existing urban spaces rather than build a new one out of the blue for no reason. Of course you can't start from zero in the same way but the idea that you even should and that the formation of our lived spaces should happen that way is a problem in my eyes. It needs to be a dialectical process.
coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:19 PM   #13
kmp1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Build AMERICA CITY smack in the middle of a solidly-red state cornfield, with urban plans straight out of the Bible. A "libertarian" paradise governed by a strict evangelical moral code, with 24/7 gun shows in the Walmart parking lot. Recruit heavily from purple districts in swing states across the country (this is key). Surround AMERICA CITY with a beautiful wall to, um, keep out undesirables.

Profit.
Everything has to be tall, like yuuge bigly tall. Also, free Porsches for the first fifty residents.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:35 PM   #14
Brad Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post

Profit.
Nah, LEFTOPIA is a much better idea:
A magnificent unicorn airport staffed by gentle forest creatures;
A Jerry Brown train to absolutely-nowhere-at-all that runs on renewable progressive farts;
State of the art Higher Re-Education centers, er I mean colleges, staffed by gentle KGB creatures;
In the Red Square, er I mean the Town Square, could be a message board that continually updates all the deplorables responsible for Hillary's sad, sad defeat (the latest villains are Marvin the Martian and the Hamburglar!);
Think how beautiful the income-redistribution building, the Karl (M.) Kool-Aid Kafe, and the White Male Haus of Correction staffed by gentle Antifa creatures could be!
Oh, if only! LEFTOPIA!

Last edited by Brad Plaid; 04-05-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Brad Plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #15
kmp1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Plaid View Post
Nah, LEFTOPIA is a much better idea:
A magnificent unicorn airport staffed by gentle forest creatures;
A Jerry Brown train to absolutely-nowhere-at-all that runs on renewable progressive farts;
State of the art Higher Re-Education centers, er I mean colleges, staffed by gentle KGB creatures;
In the Red Square, er I mean the Town Square, could be a message board that continually updates all the deplorables responsible for Hillary's sad, sad defeat (the latest villains are Marvin the Martian and the Hamburglar!);
Think how beautiful the income-redistribution building, the Karl (M.) Kool-Aid Kafe, and the White Male Haus of Correction staffed by gentle Antifa creatures could be!
Oh, if only! LEFTOPIA!
Sorry, we already have all the best cities in the world. Try Moscow.