archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 12-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #41
Arlington

Re: Charlie Card/MBTA Fare Replacement system

I'm responding in this thread, assuming that things will be merged:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahvon09 View Post
The MBTA is planning to replace the present ways that you pay to commute on the system. Click on the link below.
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s..._youll_be.html
That's a really great article, with pictures showing all the new machines (subway fare machines, bus fare pylons, and new fare gates). I assume that the new $5 fare media (which lets you go into deficit for 1 trip, as long as you have it on you) will still need to be given away to the lowest-income / most-reduced-fare patrons.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #42
fattony

I have a question about the proposed fare gates. Wider gates means fewer gates, right? At many stations, the fare gates present a significant bottleneck during rush hour to both the passengers exiting the station en mass as well as the people trying to enter the station at the same time.

Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of something that amounts to a few seconds delay, but I think it is already a small problem and fewer fare gates will only exacerbate the problem.

Or perhaps the root cause of the problem is overcrowded trains and decreased headways is the real solution? The same passenger load spread over more trains will mean smaller crowds with each arriving train. Even with more frequent trains, stations like Kendall will still be under crush load every single morning and I worry that these fare gates will be a real obstacle.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #43
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
I have a question about the proposed fare gates. Wider gates means fewer gates, right? At many stations, the fare gates present a significant bottleneck during rush hour to both the passengers exiting the station en mass as well as the people trying to enter the station at the same time.
Not necessarily. There's a lot of room spent on the gate mechanisms themselves. It looks like the new ones will be much thinner = wider gates.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #44
fattony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Not necessarily. There's a lot of room spent on the gate mechanisms themselves. It looks like the new ones will be much thinner = wider gates.
I suppose. It is tough to eyeball from this picture, but you are right it isn't a big difference in total width for the whole mechanism.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:40 AM   #45
Arlington

Subway/Elevated Stations with significant bus connections (Davis, Porter) should have fare vending on the bus/surface level, not just the Mezzanine.

Not just "should have happened once FVMs we're no longer exotic/mysterious" and not just " bus-centric" users, but also to complete online-and-TVM-tap refills but particularly in anticipation of a "no farebox" future.

Old Lechmere should long have had a FVM on the Busway side.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #46
whittle

A couple people have complained on reddit over the past week of having difficultly getting Charlie Cards. They report employees saying that they haven't been getting new ones lately and even indicated that no more would be coming since Charlie Cards are being phased out. Since we're over a year from the scheduled beginning of AFC 2.0 pilots, anyone know what's up here?

https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comm...ie_card_epoch/

https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comm..._charliecards/
whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:44 AM   #47
dwash59

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittle View Post
A couple people have complained on reddit over the past week of having difficultly getting Charlie Cards. They report employees saying that they haven't been getting new ones lately and even indicated that no more would be coming since Charlie Cards are being phased out. Since we're over a year from the scheduled beginning of AFC 2.0 pilots, anyone know what's up here?

https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comm...ie_card_epoch/

https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comm..._charliecards/
all the convenience stores still have them. my guess is the mbta is just phasing out random stations having them because they always wanted people to get them from convenience and grocery stores anyways...
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote