archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:36 AM   #1
EdMc

Boston Urbanism June 2017

Quote:
BOSTON URBANISM, June, 2017
A mix of street life and the built environment
227 photographs
Quote:
"Oh, Boston, you're my home" - The Standells, "Dirty Water"
Quote:
Happy 4th!

Women and kids visiting Boston find downtown to be attractive, safe and interesting; a telling situation for any city.

South Boston Waterfront Transportation Center site

Echelon site, Seaport parcels M1-M2

Boston Society of Architects awarded the 2016 Harleston Parker Medal for the
Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building (Mecanoo Architecten with Sasaki)
"This annual honor seeks to recognize “the single most beautiful building or other structure” built in the metropolitan Boston area in the past 10 years."
https://www.architects.org/awards/ha...parker-medal-3

boston curbed .com, August 29, 2017
"Boston area has nation's third largest share of millionaire households"
7.5 percent, about 139,00 households

Boston Business Journal, June 26, 2017
"TripAdvisor says these are the most-visited restaurants in Boston"
Italian (tops for travelers): Babbo Pizzeria

Italian (tops for locals): Strega Waterfront

July 11, 2017 - Travel+Leisure readers rated Boston #14 of top fifteen cities in the United States.
Readers rated cities on their sights and landmarks, culture, cuisine, friendliness, shopping, and overall value.

With its outward slant, 100 Federal has a commanding street presence.

Future winter garden, completion "first of the year"

Garage is future site of 115 Winthrop Square skyscraper

Boston Globe, May 26, 2017
"Boston has more millennials than other large cities, study finds"
"More than one-third — 34 percent — of the city’s population is between 20 and 34 years old, ..."

253 Summer St. is the yellow brick building on the right, I believe, and on July 10, 2017, the Boston Globe reported ("Amazon says it will bring 900 jobs to Fort Point" by Tim Logan) that Amazon leased 150,000 square feet at this location and will hire 900 people to fill the office space scheduled to open in spring 2018. Mayor Martin J. Walsh was quoted to say, "This is a big win."

Seaport, indeed!

Boston Globe, "Tall Ships’ visit to Boston deemed a success"
By Kiana Cole GLOBE CORRESPONDENT JUNE 26, 2017
"Sail Boston is deeming its tall ships extravaganza a success. The five-day event, which concluded Thursday (June 22) attracted more than 3 million people, organizers said."

"Pat Moscaritolo, president of the Great Boston Convention & Visitors Bureau, said before the event that Sail Boston was expected to inject $120 million into the local economy, ..."

As of this month, 53 State Street, or 1 Exchange Place, is the new home of the Boston Globe.

Boston Calling Block Party

rosekennedygreenway.org
Titled “Spaces Of Hope” by Iranian artist Mehdi Ghadyanlooit, it is the fifth mural to adorn the popular 76'x70' Greenway Wall.

Trillium Beer Garden

Last edited by EdMc; 01-20-2018 at 09:49 AM.
EdMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:57 AM   #2
FitchburgLine

Re: Boston Urbanism June 2017

These are fantastic, great job!
FitchburgLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
BeeLine

EdMc, totally enjoyed your fantastic photo journey. Thanks for sharing.
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:40 PM   #4
EdMc

^
^
Really appreciate the comments, thanks.
I find walking around downtown Boston on a beautiful day fascinating, the workers out at lunchtime create a palpable buzz, the new and old architecture are a fascinating study and three(!) waterfronts, namely the Charles River, the harbor and Fort Point Channel (sorry, Atlanta) make for a photographic and pretty city. All of it creates urban eye candy.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
chrisbrat

what an amazing series of shots -- thanks so much! really enjoyed that virtual tour of a good-sized chunk of the city. there's so much in the way of cool, newer developments of all sizes -- really puts all the bellyaching and bitching that goes on around here in perspective.
chrisbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
EdMc

Thanks, you won't find me complaining much.
Old 07-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
atlantaden

Wow!!!! Such a pictorial journey through the Seaport, Financial District, Rose Kennedy Greenway, the Pru area, Cambridge, and places in between! You sure caught the spirit of Boston, the vibrancy, the urban streetscapes, the juxtoposition of the old and the new architecture side by side, along with the water where it all began for the city. No question, she's one of the top five cities in the country in so many ways. To me, nothing is more festive than the umbrellas and the street furniture (and of course the restaurants) that have sprouted all around the city over the past few years. Adds so much to the city and to it's residents and visitors. Thanks from someone who loves the town but doesn't get to spend much time in it when I'm visiting home.
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 03:46 PM   #8
vanshnookenraggen

When you put it all together like this it's amazing how much Boston has changed in the last decade.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:32 PM   #9
BussesAin'tTrains

Awesome photo journal! Thanks for sharing!
BussesAin'tTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
EdMc

den, I look for color to add attractiveness to my photos, and I'm always alert for sidewalk scenes with colorful umbrellas. For me, al fresco dining is a quintessential cityscape for picture taking. The Parisian city cafe is a standard, I have a framed poster of a painting of one in my home. Thanks.

Van, the current Boston building boom is the biggest I've witnessed in my lifetime. The construction photos on this website show new development all over the city, as you are aware. Previous Boston building booms were mostly restricted to downtown, as I remember them. There are several other American cities that are booming, too. I want our American cities to prosper, it's exciting for me to see. In your backyard, I'm looking forward to visiting Hudson Yards when it is completed. As the largest real estate development in the country under construction, it should be impressive to visit. Thanks for your post.

Thanks, Busses.

Last edited by EdMc; 07-04-2017 at 09:18 AM.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:40 PM   #11
Mike

thread of the year!
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 04:10 AM   #12
Padre Mike

Loved this more than you can imagine! It's my link to the city I truly love and have followed for over 5 decades...seeing it develop and bring in fresh architectural language, texture, and life. I now live in Tampa, which has promise, but is now where Boston was 40 years ago...struggling to bring in new development, but for an entirely different climate than Boston's. Keep up the good work in photo-journaling!
Padre Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:14 AM   #13
EdMc

^ Thanks, Mike
^ Thanks, Padre Mike, one thing that Tampa (assuming) and Boston both have to worry about is rising seas. During king tides, some Miami streets flood and Long Wharf in Boston gets a little water on its surface. Hopefully, we can do something about it to protect the progress we've made in our downtowns.

One person's opinion of Boston

Boston Globe
"Glen Day gives short Salem CC an endorsement"
By Kevin Paul Dupont GLOBE STAFF* JULY 02, 2017

Tom Lehman, American professional golfer from Minnesota
"I’d love to play here every year,” said Lehman. "I think it’s an amazing city and a great sports town". "It’s just that kind of place,” said Lehman. “I love it. I just think it’s a great energy in this city, and I would love to be back more often.”