archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:39 PM   #81
whittle

Re: Comm Ave Bridge Replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
RE: Bus shuttles.

I believe the universities (especially BU) use transit-style buses for their internal services. Would have made more sense to lease those.
BU only has something like 6-8 buses.
whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:09 PM   #82
winstonoboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
They should have at least mandated two entry/exit doors.

On that note, anyone know why nearly all European coach buses have rear doors?
Then they would have got no responses. The bid issued preferred low-floor transit but allowed high-floor over-the-road coaches. Peter Pan was the only bidder. No private company has 35 extra transit buses just sitting around waiting for a two-week shuttle contract. Peter Pan is one of the few that has that many spare over-the-road coaches that they can make available.
winstonoboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #83
winstonoboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
So is Paul Revere not providing any of the service? Some of the T's tweets had Paul Revere transit-style buses in the background.
Comm Ave is just Peter Pan with over-the-road coaches. Newburyport/Rockport is primarily Yankee Lines with some other sub-contractors on weekdays, but all over-the-road coach.

I don't think Paul Revere is interested in bidding on any job that would take work away from 589.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:34 PM   #84
winstonoboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
So is Paul Revere not providing any of the service? Some of the T's tweets had Paul Revere transit-style buses in the background.
I forgot that Paul Revere is doing the weekend Boston Landing-Reservoir shuttle for the Worcester Line diversion around the Comm Ave work. But that only uses a small number of buses.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #85
statler
Administrator

Stupid question. What does "Hit 4 of 5 diversions" mean?
statler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:08 AM   #86
winstonoboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post

Stupid question. What does "Hit 4 of 5 diversions" mean?
They were running five diversions and he went to visit four of them to see how things were going.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:25 AM   #87
statler
Administrator

Oh. That makes sense. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:35 AM   #88
bigpicture7

Not to belabor this "where did the shuttle busses come from discussion," but I noticed something interesting today...

The side of the Peter Pan buses read "Owned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts / Operated by Peter Pan Bus Lines"

I also noticed "massDOT BUS+" decals on the buses.

So, being entirely naive about this sort of thing, my natural response was WTF?, and I had to look it up.
Here's our answer:
http://massdot.state.ma.us/main/tabi...-Services.aspx

The state owns these buses. They are part of a program to subsidize enhanced inter-city bus connectivity across the state, ensure minimal gaps in routes/service, etc...

So it would make sense that Peter Pan would perhaps have this reserve capacity, especially in support of a MassDOT project, (though they're not the only participating carrier)

It also explains why these coaches have a wheelchair row with a separate side-door (not used unless requested by a passenger) at mid-length along the coach.

EDIT/CORRECTION:
The buses appear to be a mix of those owned by the state and owned by PP.

Last edited by bigpicture7; 08-07-2017 at 09:01 AM.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:36 AM   #89
Jahvon09

According to the latest statistics, it has been reported on the news last night that the program is running ahead of schedule.
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #90
West

MassPike has been reopened to four lanes in each direction, this happened three weeks ahead of schedule:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...7wL/story.html

The installation of the main beams apparently went much faster than anticipated, which in turn allowed for the early removal of that large crane that had been parked on the Pike.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #91
statler
Administrator

My guess is that it went exactly how quickly they anticipated it going, but gave themselves a very long buffer, 'just in case'.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:14 AM   #92
West

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
My guess is that it went exactly how quickly they anticipated it going, but gave themselves a very long buffer, 'just in case'.
Fair guess. I'd have done that, in their place.

But three weeks shaved off the Pike closure time, as a percentage of the original number of weeks predicted to be closed, suggests to me that just about every single thing that needed to go right, did go right. And I would assume not only by chance, but by good planning: one of those cases where a group manages to swing "luck" their way via attention to detail.

So if they take a victory lap on this aspect of the project, I'd applaud it.

They still have all the rest of it to get done. I'd love to see them get the B line back in action ahead of schedule. Not because I ride it (I only rarely do), but because it'd be yet more signs of organizational progress at DOT. We need whatever good news we can get.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:48 AM   #93
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
Not to belabor this "where did the shuttle busses come from discussion," but I noticed something interesting today...

The side of the Peter Pan buses read "Owned by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts / Operated by Peter Pan Bus Lines"

I also noticed "massDOT BUS+" decals on the buses.

So, being entirely naive about this sort of thing, my natural response was WTF?, and I had to look it up.
Here's our answer:
http://massdot.state.ma.us/main/tabi...-Services.aspx

The state owns these buses. They are part of a program to subsidize enhanced inter-city bus connectivity across the state, ensure minimal gaps in routes/service, etc...

So it would make sense that Peter Pan would perhaps have this reserve capacity, especially in support of a MassDOT project, (though they're not the only participating carrier)

It also explains why these coaches have a wheelchair row with a separate side-door (not used unless requested by a passenger) at mid-length along the coach.

EDIT/CORRECTION:
The buses appear to be a mix of those owned by the state and owned by PP.
Thats how NJ operates. The state buys everybody buses and the private carriers operate them.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #94
goldenretrievers

https://app.oxblue.com/open/BU/bridgedeck
goldenretrievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:52 PM   #95
Jahvon09

Went by there 3 weeks ago f0r the first time. Looks nice!! No more crumbling concrete debris!
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote