archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #21
gregrc75
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: New Bedford, MA
Posts: 70
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
That's one of those places that would look better if literally nothing had been built after 1950. Looking at that picture and knowing that the only "tall" buildings are low income housing is kind of a stark reminder that despite all of its assets, it's never going to be the place that it could be.
I understand your point, especially Meliville Towers. The tallest, Regency Tower, is actually not low income. It might be a small skyline but it's all we got here!
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #22
Hubman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anywhere, USA
Posts: 565
Re: New England Skylines thread

A lot of small cities' tallest buildings are public housing towers. This signifies bad planning.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #23
kmp1284
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Holland Park, W11
Posts: 1,684
Re: New England Skylines thread

^^^ And a non-existent economy, thus no demand for anything else.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #24
Hubman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anywhere, USA
Posts: 565
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
^^^ And a non-existent economy, thus no demand for anything else.
Exactly. Or at least an economy that is not interested in building tall (such as small cities like Burlington).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Gold doesn't signify luxury, it signifies bad taste.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
JohnJ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 10
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
^^^ And a non-existent economy, thus no demand for anything else.
I grew up in the Worcester area and go back a lot. I would say "non-existent" is strong, but it seems there is more demand on the 495 belt in Marlborough and Westborough. They have had Boston Scientific, BJ's and Cumberland Farms move west for new HQ's in the recent past.

Edit: WPI and UMass Medical school have added some office space near their respective schools. WPI just north of downtown and UMass on the east side of the city. Not exactly Kenmore Square but good stuff for the city. I mean not new but recent.
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #26
kmp1284
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Holland Park, W11
Posts: 1,684
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
I grew up in the Worcester area and go back a lot. I would say "non-existent" is strong, but it seems there is more demand on the 495 belt in Marlborough and Westborough. They have had Boston Scientific, BJ's and Cumberland Farms move west for new HQ's in the recent past.

Edit: WPI and UMass Medical school have added some office space near their respective schools. WPI just north of downtown and UMass on the east side of the city. Not exactly Kenmore Square but good stuff for the city. I mean not new but recent.
That comment was more directed at New Bedford and its Fall River/Lawrence/Brockton peers than Hartford/Providence/Worcester. Those three have their obvious shortcomings but don't seem nearly as badly off.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #27
Hubman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anywhere, USA
Posts: 565
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
That comment was more directed at New Bedford and its Fall River/Lawrence/Brockton peers than Hartford/Providence/Worcester. Those three have their obvious shortcomings but don't seem nearly as badly off.
The conversation originally stemmed from "Which cities have public housing as their tallest building?" Lawrence, New Bedford, and Fall River, Brockton all have public housing among their tallest towers while Worcester, Springfield and Hartford have office towers.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Gold doesn't signify luxury, it signifies bad taste.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #28
SHAZBAT73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon, Maine
Posts: 275
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
Exactly. Or at least an economy that is not interested in building tall (such as small cities like Burlington).
Chances for Burlington to go vertical are better than anytime before. Check out this sites:

https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/CEDO/BT...opment-Process

Plans:

https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/sites/d...gs%2030x42.pdf

Last edited by SHAZBAT73; 04-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.
SHAZBAT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #29
Hubman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anywhere, USA
Posts: 565
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAZBAT73 View Post
Chances for Burlington to go vertical are better than anytime before. Check out this sites:

https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/CEDO/BT...opment-Process

Plans:

https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/sites/d...gs%2030x42.pdf
Facsinating! In 10 years Burlington might overtake Springfeild!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Gold doesn't signify luxury, it signifies bad taste.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #30
bolehboleh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Posts: 382
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
Facsinating! In 10 years Burlington might overtake Springfeild!
I kind of hope not. It's a city of only 40,000 people, and while I do look forward to this development, tall buildings are not what make a great city. Keep it dense, but don't try to make it in to something it's not or shouldn't be.
bolehboleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #31
markhb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 247
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
The conversation originally stemmed from "Which cities have public housing as their tallest building?" Lawrence, New Bedford, and Fall River, Brockton all have public housing among their tallest towers while Worcester, Springfield and Hartford have office towers.
In Portland, the tallest habitable building is public housing (mainly elder housing), while the tallest building period is the steeple on the Cathedral.
__________________
All comments are my own and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person.
markhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #32
Hubman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anywhere, USA
Posts: 565
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I kind of hope not. It's a city of only 40,000 people, and while I do look forward to this development, tall buildings are not what make a great city. Keep it dense, but don't try to make it in to something it's not or shouldn't be.
You make a good point. I'd like it to become big, but flat. If it ended up like a bigger Biddeford, ME, I'd be happy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Gold doesn't signify luxury, it signifies bad taste.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #33
Patrick
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 3,280
Re: New England Skylines thread

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Burlington obviously blows Biddeford out of the water on all fronts, but that said Biddeford had really come extremely far in recent years (some nice re-use of the inner core, which has very attractive architecture in sections). Biddeford may not become a destination anytime soon, but it appears to be shaping up to be a cool urban alternative to Portland for certain demographics. Perhaps not analogous to Lowell-Boston, but that's the best example I could think of to compare it to. Personally while I am excited by some of the renderings in Burlington (and the project by and large remains quite small scaled), I don't particularly like the design overall and would like to see something better.
__________________
I like urbanism, big and small, near and far.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #34
Hubman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anywhere, USA
Posts: 565
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Burlington obviously blows Biddeford out of the water on all fronts, but that said Biddeford had really come extremely far in recent years (some nice re-use of the inner core, which has very attractive architecture in sections). Biddeford may not become a destination anytime soon, but it appears to be shaping up to be a cool urban alternative to Portland for certain demographics. Perhaps not analogous to Lowell-Boston, but that's the best example I could think of to compare it to. Personally while I am excited by some of the renderings in Burlington (and the project by and large remains quite small scaled), I don't particularly like the design overall and would like to see something better.
No, I'm not joking. I mean like Biddeford's architecture and feel. Not it's economy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Gold doesn't signify luxury, it signifies bad taste.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #35
SHAZBAT73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lebanon, Maine
Posts: 275
Re: New England Skylines thread

On the 5:30 report tonight WCSH did a report on how South Portland planning department is considering a change in the city's zoning to allow for buildings up to 14 floors.
SHAZBAT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #36
Hubman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anywhere, USA
Posts: 565
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAZBAT73 View Post
On the 5:30 report tonight WCSH did a report on how South Portland planning department is considering a change in the city's zoning to allow for buildings up to 14 floors.
Wow. South Portland isn't technically part of Portland though, is it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Gold doesn't signify luxury, it signifies bad taste.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #37
markhb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 247
Re: New England Skylines thread

No, it's a separate city.
__________________
All comments are my own and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person.
markhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #38
Hubman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anywhere, USA
Posts: 565
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhb View Post
No, it's a separate city.
But it borders, though, so tall buildings would fit into the skyline, sort of like how the Hancock sits far off from the High-rises in downtown.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Gold doesn't signify luxury, it signifies bad taste.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #39
PortlandArch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 158
Re: New England Skylines thread

It's not as close as Back Bay to the Financial District (or if it is, it's separated by much more suburbia) so it wouldn't have the same look. It's not as though this is the part of South Portland across the harbor from Portland which appears from aerials to be part of the same city. This is out by the shopping mall and is in a very unurban area. Strange place to propose such a tall building by itself but the concept in general is a good one (more density).

Trivial fact: Portland and SoPo considered merging once, over a century ago, but something at the State Legislature level stopped it.
PortlandArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #40
dwash59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Allston
Posts: 551
Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAZBAT73 View Post
On the 5:30 report tonight WCSH did a report on how South Portland planning department is considering a change in the city's zoning to allow for buildings up to 14 floors.
I assume this piece http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/coul...land/430305421
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skylines of the World stick n move General Architecture & Urban Planning 6 04-13-2018 01:07 PM
Future Skylines/Developments of the US stick n move General Architecture & Urban Planning 114 04-12-2018 05:18 PM
MY TOP 15 NEW ENGLAND CITIES Portlander Greater New England 131 02-20-2018 07:19 AM
Hiking New England DZH22 Greater New England 2 06-14-2010 09:58 AM
New England Sports grittys457 Greater New England 19 07-10-2006 04:46 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.