archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #21
gregrc75

Re: New England Skylines thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
That's one of those places that would look better if literally nothing had been built after 1950. Looking at that picture and knowing that the only "tall" buildings are low income housing is kind of a stark reminder that despite all of its assets, it's never going to be the place that it could be.
I understand your point, especially Meliville Towers. The tallest, Regency Tower, is actually not low income. It might be a small skyline but it's all we got here!
gregrc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:17 AM   #22
Hubman

A lot of small cities' tallest buildings are public housing towers. This signifies bad planning.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:34 AM   #23
kmp1284

^^^ And a non-existent economy, thus no demand for anything else.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #24
Hubman

Quote:
Exactly. Or at least an economy that is not interested in building tall (such as small cities like Burlington).
Old 04-03-2017, 08:33 AM   #25
JohnJ

Quote:
I grew up in the Worcester area and go back a lot. I would say "non-existent" is strong, but it seems there is more demand on the 495 belt in Marlborough and Westborough. They have had Boston Scientific, BJ's and Cumberland Farms move west for new HQ's in the recent past.

Edit: WPI and UMass Medical school have added some office space near their respective schools. WPI just north of downtown and UMass on the east side of the city. Not exactly Kenmore Square but good stuff for the city. I mean not new but recent.
JohnJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:14 AM   #26
kmp1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
I grew up in the Worcester area and go back a lot. I would say "non-existent" is strong, but it seems there is more demand on the 495 belt in Marlborough and Westborough. They have had Boston Scientific, BJ's and Cumberland Farms move west for new HQ's in the recent past.

Edit: WPI and UMass Medical school have added some office space near their respective schools. WPI just north of downtown and UMass on the east side of the city. Not exactly Kenmore Square but good stuff for the city. I mean not new but recent.
That comment was more directed at New Bedford and its Fall River/Lawrence/Brockton peers than Hartford/Providence/Worcester. Those three have their obvious shortcomings but don't seem nearly as badly off.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #27
Hubman

Quote:
That comment was more directed at New Bedford and its Fall River/Lawrence/Brockton peers than Hartford/Providence/Worcester. Those three have their obvious shortcomings but don't seem nearly as badly off.
The conversation originally stemmed from "Which cities have public housing as their tallest building?" Lawrence, New Bedford, and Fall River, Brockton all have public housing among their tallest towers while Worcester, Springfield and Hartford have office towers.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:10 PM   #28
SHAZBAT73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubman View Post
Exactly. Or at least an economy that is not interested in building tall (such as small cities like Burlington).
Chances for Burlington to go vertical are better than anytime before. Check out this sites:

https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/CEDO/BT...opment-Process

Plans:

https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/sites/d...gs%2030x42.pdf

Last edited by SHAZBAT73; 04-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.
SHAZBAT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #29
Hubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAZBAT73 View Post
Chances for Burlington to go vertical are better than anytime before. Check out this sites:

https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/CEDO/BT...opment-Process

Plans:

https://www.burlingtonvt.gov/sites/d...gs%2030x42.pdf
Facsinating! In 10 years Burlington might overtake Springfeild!
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #30
bolehboleh

Quote:
Facsinating! In 10 years Burlington might overtake Springfeild!
I kind of hope not. It's a city of only 40,000 people, and while I do look forward to this development, tall buildings are not what make a great city. Keep it dense, but don't try to make it in to something it's not or shouldn't be.
bolehboleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:23 PM   #31
markhb

Quote:
The conversation originally stemmed from "Which cities have public housing as their tallest building?" Lawrence, New Bedford, and Fall River, Brockton all have public housing among their tallest towers while Worcester, Springfield and Hartford have office towers.
In Portland, the tallest habitable building is public housing (mainly elder housing), while the tallest building period is the steeple on the Cathedral.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #32
Hubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
I kind of hope not. It's a city of only 40,000 people, and while I do look forward to this development, tall buildings are not what make a great city. Keep it dense, but don't try to make it in to something it's not or shouldn't be.
You make a good point. I'd like it to become big, but flat. If it ended up like a bigger Biddeford, ME, I'd be happy.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #33
Patrick

I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Burlington obviously blows Biddeford out of the water on all fronts, but that said Biddeford had really come extremely far in recent years (some nice re-use of the inner core, which has very attractive architecture in sections). Biddeford may not become a destination anytime soon, but it appears to be shaping up to be a cool urban alternative to Portland for certain demographics. Perhaps not analogous to Lowell-Boston, but that's the best example I could think of to compare it to. Personally while I am excited by some of the renderings in Burlington (and the project by and large remains quite small scaled), I don't particularly like the design overall and would like to see something better.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:48 PM   #34
Hubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I can't tell if this is a joke or not. Burlington obviously blows Biddeford out of the water on all fronts, but that said Biddeford had really come extremely far in recent years (some nice re-use of the inner core, which has very attractive architecture in sections). Biddeford may not become a destination anytime soon, but it appears to be shaping up to be a cool urban alternative to Portland for certain demographics. Perhaps not analogous to Lowell-Boston, but that's the best example I could think of to compare it to. Personally while I am excited by some of the renderings in Burlington (and the project by and large remains quite small scaled), I don't particularly like the design overall and would like to see something better.
No, I'm not joking. I mean like Biddeford's architecture and feel. Not it's economy.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #35
SHAZBAT73

On the 5:30 report tonight WCSH did a report on how South Portland planning department is considering a change in the city's zoning to allow for buildings up to 14 floors.
SHAZBAT73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #36
Hubman

Quote:
On the 5:30 report tonight WCSH did a report on how South Portland planning department is considering a change in the city's zoning to allow for buildings up to 14 floors.
Wow. South Portland isn't technically part of Portland though, is it?
Old 04-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #37
markhb

No, it's a separate city.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #38
Hubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhb View Post
No, it's a separate city.
But it borders, though, so tall buildings would fit into the skyline, sort of like how the Hancock sits far off from the High-rises in downtown.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #39
PortlandArch

It's not as close as Back Bay to the Financial District (or if it is, it's separated by much more suburbia) so it wouldn't have the same look. It's not as though this is the part of South Portland across the harbor from Portland which appears from aerials to be part of the same city. This is out by the shopping mall and is in a very unurban area. Strange place to propose such a tall building by itself but the concept in general is a good one (more density).

Trivial fact: Portland and SoPo considered merging once, over a century ago, but something at the State Legislature level stopped it.
PortlandArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #40
dwash59

Quote:
I assume this piece http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/coul...land/430305421
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote