archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:26 AM   #1
dbartman

Office attached to Residential?

With all the infill activity going on does anyone know of any examples where an office building is attached to a residential or mixed use building at the side (whether or not by a party wall). attached buildings use to be built all the time, but its rarer to see office attaching to residential with the standard floorplans desired today. I'm curious to see the floor plans along the walls that attach of any examples you all may know of.

Thanks,
dbartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #2
vanshnookenraggen

Re: Office attached to Residential?

I know the Hancock Tower in Chicago is part office and part condo. The slope design means smaller floor plates at the top which are better for residential. But I don't know too many other buildings like this.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #3
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbartman View Post
With all the infill activity going on does anyone know of any examples where an office building is attached to a residential or mixed use building at the side (whether or not by a party wall). attached buildings use to be built all the time, but its rarer to see office attaching to residential with the standard floorplans desired today. I'm curious to see the floor plans along the walls that attach of any examples you all may know of.

Thanks,
How large a scale are you talking about (e.g., coexisting within a skyscraper versus an infill or small stand-alone project?).

A very recent Boston example of mid-scale size is the Lovejoy wharf redevelopment: offices on one side of a party wall (the Converse headquarters); residential on the other side. This is admittedly a 2-part development, but the master plan for the wharf was designed with mixed use intentions
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #4
dbartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
How large a scale are you talking about (e.g., coexisting within a skyscraper versus an infill or small stand-alone project?).

A very recent Boston example of mid-scale size is the Lovejoy wharf redevelopment: offices on one side of a party wall (the Converse headquarters); residential on the other side. This is admittedly a 2-part development, but the master plan for the wharf was designed with mixed use intentions
This is exactly what i'm talking about, any examples like this large or small would be helpful.

EDIT: I am not talking about vertically mixed uses.
dbartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:32 PM   #5
LH421

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
I know the Hancock Tower in Chicago is part office and part condo. The slope design means smaller floor plates at the top which are better for residential. But I don't know too many other buildings like this.
There are a number of vertical mixed use properties with part residence+hotel/office or residence/office vertically.

Liberty Place, Philadelphia
Espírito Santo Plaza (Conrad Miami), Brickell Miami
900 N Michigan Avenue, Chicago
The Shard, London
Burj Khalifa, Dubai
Greyhound Building, Dallas
LH421 is offline   Reply With Quote