archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #461
FitchburgLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 229
Re: MBTA Bus & BRT

Everett Mayor gets sworn in, promises:
More bus lanes
Transit signal priority
Silver Line extension
Lower parking mins, micro-units and zoning reform
http://www.everettindependent.com/20...gural-address/
FitchburgLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:58 PM   #462
Joel N. Weber II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 363
29 and 26 and 22

The 29 and 26 bus routes both have mediocre service frequency.

At first glance at the system map, 29 looks like it performs sort of the same function as 31 in providing a relatively direct path from part of Blue Hill Ave to the Orange Line in a way that doesn't go all the way to Dudley and Ruggles. 31 has good weekday frequencies in connecting the southern part of 28 to Forest Hills. The southern part of 29 duplicates 31 without providing such a direct path to the Orange Line (if you live along Blue Hill Ave south of Morton St, you're probably going to take 31 and not 29 to the Orange Line), and the northern part of 29's segment on Blue Hill Ave is duplicated by 22, which does have pretty good frequencies (although I think after the northbound 22 meets the Orange Line at Jackson Sq, it might be more useful for it to go to Heath St at the end of the E branch along 14's route instead of continuing to Ruggles). For the handful of stops on Blue Hill Ave between Morton St and Talbot Ave, the 28 does provide frequent, high capacity service, and walking to the 22 or 31 (or 21) may also sometimes be an option if those folks want to get to the Orange Line without riding 28 through Dudley.

Some 29 trips also serve Westview St / Ames St as an awkward deviation, and I'm wondering if there'd be an effective way to reroute 29 to always serve that deviation in a way that wouldn't be a deviation, by having it continue to Ashmont instead of Mattapan. If a small bit of Stratton St could be made two way, perhaps the routing could be Westview St -> [Edit: Ames St] -> roughly southbound on Stratton St -> roughly westbound on Stratton St -> Lyford St -> Woodrow Ave -> Milton Ave -> Rockwell St -> Bailey St -> Dorchester Ave, and in the reverse direction Dochester Ave -> Fuller St -> Milton Ave -> Edson St -> Norfolk St -> Woodrow Ave. This might cover the parts of 26's service area not covered by 21 and 22 well enough that 26 could be discontinued and 26's vehicles reallocated to improving frequency on the rerouted 29. (This is also based on assuming that east of the Fairmount Line we want to avoid reconfiguring one way streets, but a slightly different routing might make sense if changing one way streets is an option.)

I'm also assuming if all this rerouting happens that the Ames St @ Franklin Field stop would be replaced by stops roughly 300' west at the Ames St / Stratton St / Westview Way intersection.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #463
Joel N. Weber II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 363
Blue Hill Ave to Savin Hill / UMass Boston

31 does 5-6 minute headways at the peak of weekday rush hour. Perhaps that implies it would benefit from 60' buses whenever we become confident that we can buy battery powered 60' buses that will work reliably and be cost effective, especially since the Blue Hill Ave segment already has stops set up for 60' buses for 28 (it appears that the two directions of 31 combined have a total of a dozen bus stops not served by 28, excluding Forest Hills), but if we assume that much of the ridership comes from Blue Hill Ave and not a whole lot from Morton St, we could also look at possibly adding a bus route providing a connection to the Red Line.

In particular, I think going from Mattapan Station to Savin Hill Station along Blue Hill Ave, Harvard St, Bowdoin St, Pleasant St, and Savin Hill Ave would likely work, and if the Old Colony Terrace / Morrissey Blvd intersection were to be modified to allow a left turn from Old Colony Terrace to Morrissey Blvd, that bus route could also be extended to UMass-Boston.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:17 PM   #464
Joel N. Weber II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 363
31's Morton St opp Shattuck Hospital

31's bus stop on Morton St opposite Shattuck Hospital doesn't look too pleasant: it requires crossing four lanes of highway.

If we could build roughly 500' of new road to connect Circuit Drive to American Legion Highway near Austin St, the Mattapan bound bus could skip 131 Morton, which is way too close to Arborway @ Shea Sq, follow Forest Hills Dr and Circuit Dr, stopping at Shattuck Hospital wherever 16 does (it looks like Google Street View may not have a bus stop sign for that stop?), stop at 14's American Legion Highway opp Kingbird Rd instead of Morton St at Canterbury St, and then take Canterbury Lane to Morton St.

Edit: Austin to Harvard to Morton is probably a better route than traveling along American Legion Highway.

Edit 2: Maybe even Austin to Harvard to Paxton St to Blue Hill Ave if losing the eastern Morton St stops is acceptable.

Edit 3: Looks like Austin St has two disconnected pieces. On the other hand, filling that in east of American Legion Highway probably isn't any harder than the ~500' extension of Austin west of American Legion Highway.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 PM   #465
Joel N. Weber II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 363
Re: MBTA Bus & BRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchburgLine View Post
Per today's FMCB meeting, Somerville striped and implemented a new, permanent bus lane across the Prospect St bridge into Union Square last week! https://d3044s2alrsxog.cloudfront.ne...8-fmcb-dgm.pdf
It's not clear to me what the thinking is as to exactly where bicycles are supposed to ride at this point.

From east to west, there's sidewalk, relatively wide lane, relatively narrow area with flex posts near its western part, the northbound automobile lane, the southbound lane, and the sidewalk.

The narrow area has arrows with bicycle symbols, suggesting it is a narrow bicycle lane.

But there is also some text saying ``BUS BIKE LANE'' or ``BIKE BUS LANE'' or something in that wider, more easterly section, which seems to perhaps imply that bikes are maybe supposed to just use the bus lane, and maybe that narrow area is a buffer area to make the bus lane a flex post protected bike lane? When there is no bus around, having the bikes take the full bus lane would provide more separation and thus probably a bit more safety.

I'm also wondering what instructions bus drivers get regarding following bicyclists in shared bus / bike lanes. I think if the goal is to make the lane comfortable for cyclists, having the bus drivers maintain a 4 or 5 or 6 second following distance might have some advantages.

The bus lane runs from Webster to the 30 Prospect bus stop, and the bus stop is the northern end of the bus lane.

One other thing I noticed, while taking a Lechmere bound 87 a little after 10 PM to get to near where this bus lane was so that I could walk past it to check it out, was that the wait at the light at the Webster / Somerville Ave / Bow St / Washington St intersection seemed pretty long, and it would be nice to have Transit Signal Priority at that light.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #466
sm89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somerville
Posts: 622
Re: MBTA Bus & BRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel N. Weber II View Post
It's not clear to me what the thinking is as to exactly where bicycles are supposed to ride at this point.

From east to west, there's sidewalk, relatively wide lane, relatively narrow area with flex posts near its western part, the northbound automobile lane, the southbound lane, and the sidewalk.
It started out as a parking lane and bike lane, but since no one ever parked there, drivers starting forming an illegal second lane, endangering cyclists. They then decided it could make a good bus-bike lane. No need to spend the money to remove the bike lane markings they just put in though, so they left them.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:31 PM   #467
Joel N. Weber II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 363
Essex St bus tunnel with Ave de Lafayette portal

Might it be possible to extend the South Station bus tunnel under Essex St as far as Kingston St, and then build a portal in the Ave de Lafayette right of way between Chauncy St and Kington St? Google Street View seems to suggest Ave de Lafayette is quite wide, probably quite low traffic, and has parking on both sides, and presumably the parking could go away if that's what it takes to make space for the portal.

I'm thinking if we could get a contraflow bus lane on Washington St from Ave de Lafayette to Avery Pl and reverse the one way section of Avery Place, we could have the buses come out the portal, follow Ave de Lafayette to Washington St to Avery Place to Tremont St to terminate at Boylston Station, then take Boylston St which turns into Essex St to Chauncy St back into the portal. Or there's probably some way SL4 could use that portal, once it starts running on batteries.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #468
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,397
Re: Essex St bus tunnel with Ave de Lafayette portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel N. Weber II View Post
Might it be possible to extend the South Station bus tunnel under Essex St as far as Kingston St, and then build a portal in the Ave de Lafayette right of way between Chauncy St and Kington St? Google Street View seems to suggest Ave de Lafayette is quite wide, probably quite low traffic, and has parking on both sides, and presumably the parking could go away if that's what it takes to make space for the portal.

I'm thinking if we could get a contraflow bus lane on Washington St from Ave de Lafayette to Avery Pl and reverse the one way section of Avery Place, we could have the buses come out the portal, follow Ave de Lafayette to Washington St to Avery Place to Tremont St to terminate at Boylston Station, then take Boylston St which turns into Essex St to Chauncy St back into the portal. Or there's probably some way SL4 could use that portal, once it starts running on batteries.
You really don't want to dump those buses onto many of those downtown street. Several of the corners are going to be turn nightmares, and taking a lane from Washington for the counter flow bus lane is not happening. Traffic there is horrendous, particularly around theatre times.

If you are going to spend the effort of tunneling from the busway loop; go for a twin tunnel deep bore under Essex/Boylston, and convert the line to light rail/bus dual use. The elevation change up from the waterfront then down from Washington makes this a pretty straightforward trajectory (not really diving too much deeper.). Biggest challenge is the station at Chinatown/Bolyston -- likely a single center island mega station connecting to both. Connect to the Green Line at the site of the old portal between Charles Street South and Arlington (there is room there to merge up into the tunnel.) This is strictly a line for one of the Green Line branches from the West; but you make downtown connections at Chinatown (Orange) or Boylston (Green) from the mega station platform.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #469
Upstruk
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 65
Re: Essex St bus tunnel with Ave de Lafayette portal

http://www.archboston.org/community/...t=5003&page=21[

In post 408 of the Green Line reconfiguration thread I had proposed something similar to this. F-line believed Ave de Lafayette was not wide enough for a portal.

QUOTE=Joel N. Weber II;311384]Might it be possible to extend the South Station bus tunnel under Essex St as far as Kingston St, and then build a portal in the Ave de Lafayette right of way between Chauncy St and Kington St? Google Street View seems to suggest Ave de Lafayette is quite wide, probably quite low traffic, and has parking on both sides, and presumably the parking could go away if that's what it takes to make space for the portal.

I'm thinking if we could get a contraflow bus lane on Washington St from Ave de Lafayette to Avery Pl and reverse the one way section of Avery Place, we could have the buses come out the portal, follow Ave de Lafayette to Washington St to Avery Place to Tremont St to terminate at Boylston Station, then take Boylston St which turns into Essex St to Chauncy St back into the portal. Or there's probably some way SL4 could use that portal, once it starts running on batteries.[/quote]
Upstruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #470
Joel N. Weber II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 363
Re: Essex St bus tunnel with Ave de Lafayette portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstruk View Post
http://www.archboston.org/community/...t=5003&page=21[

In post 408 of the Green Line reconfiguration thread I had proposed something similar to this. F-line believed Ave de Lafayette was not wide enough for a portal.
Page 41 of https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Port...l_03-31-14.pdf seems to think that just under 27' is wide enough for the paved area for the busway in Chelsea under the new Washington St bridge. Do retaining walls really have to be 11' thick on each side?

I'm also now wondering if the Boring Company's elevator idea (minus the silly sleds to carry cars in the tunnels) could work for buses. Heading west on Essex St, there's about 200' from Kingston St before you reach the first building on the north side of the street. I'm guessing 80' might be sufficient for an elevator capable of carrying a 60' bus. Or perhaps a bus elevator could fit on the north side of Essex St just west of South St, especially if the landscaping (and maybe ventilation shaft?) could be reconfigured. Of course, a downside of the elevator approach is that it doesn't seem like there's an obvious way to scale it to a 350' Green Line train.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #471
Joel N. Weber II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 363
Re: Essex St bus tunnel with Ave de Lafayette portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
You really don't want to dump those buses onto many of those downtown street. Several of the corners are going to be turn nightmares, and taking a lane from Washington for the counter flow bus lane is not happening. Traffic there is horrendous, particularly around theatre times.
Sounds like we have way too much parking capacity in that neighborhood.

Quote:
If you are going to spend the effort of tunneling from the busway loop; go for a twin tunnel deep bore under Essex/Boylston, and convert the line to light rail/bus dual use. The elevation change up from the waterfront then down from Washington makes this a pretty straightforward trajectory (not really diving too much deeper.). Biggest challenge is the station at Chinatown/Bolyston -- likely a single center island mega station connecting to both. Connect to the Green Line at the site of the old portal between Charles Street South and Arlington (there is room there to merge up into the tunnel.) This is strictly a line for one of the Green Line branches from the West; but you make downtown connections at Chinatown (Orange) or Boylston (Green) from the mega station platform.
I thought we'd seen lots of skepticism that putting that station under Boylston St between the existing Orange Line and Green Line station could happen without damaging historic buildings, and that the new tunnel would be expected to have one level for each direction because of the limited street width (platforms on the north side of the track probably go best with connecting to Boylston).

Having one of the branches that serves Copley and Arlington stations serve South Station instead of Government Center to free up slots at Government Center for Dudley service does have some appeal, but if we're only going to be able to run one train every 6 minutes or something through the new station deep under Boylston St if everything has to continue through the tunnel to Arlington Station and merge with trains from Park St, that sort of limits capacity through the South Station Transitway.

I'd also expect a configuration with no underground station to cost substantially less than a configuration with an underground station.

So while a new tunnel at Boylston / Chinatown certainly has some appeal, I'm concerned that focusing on a risky and expensive project has a high probability of leaving the no build alternative favored.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:12 AM   #472
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 494
Re: Essex St bus tunnel with Ave de Lafayette portal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel N. Weber II View Post
Page 41 of https://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Port...l_03-31-14.pdf seems to think that just under 27' is wide enough for the paved area for the busway in Chelsea under the new Washington St bridge. Do retaining walls really have to be 11' thick on each side?

I'm also now wondering if the Boring Company's elevator idea (minus the silly sleds to carry cars in the tunnels) could work for buses. Heading west on Essex St, there's about 200' from Kingston St before you reach the first building on the north side of the street. I'm guessing 80' might be sufficient for an elevator capable of carrying a 60' bus. Or perhaps a bus elevator could fit on the north side of Essex St just west of South St, especially if the landscaping (and maybe ventilation shaft?) could be reconfigured. Of course, a downside of the elevator approach is that it doesn't seem like there's an obvious way to scale it to a 350' Green Line train.
Not to derail, but kind of verging on Crazy Transit pitches.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:19 PM   #473
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 1,733
Re: MBTA Bus & BRT

http://www.bostonbrt.org/local-pilots/

I apologize if this has already been posted but it looks like they're gonna test some BTR for Bus 71, 73 and 77 along with the already in place bus lanes in Everett.

Interesting how there are no routes actually in Boston.

Last edited by tysmith95; 02-14-2018 at 02:35 PM.
tysmith95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #474
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,791
Re: MBTA Bus & BRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Interesting how there are no routes actually in Boston.
Entirely predictable when you elect a self proclaimed car mayor.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #475
millerm277
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 126
Re: MBTA Bus & BRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
http://www.bostonbrt.org/local-pilots/

I apologize if this has already been posted but it looks like they're gonna test some BTR for Bus 71, 73 and 77 along with the already in place bus lanes in Everett.

Interesting how there are no routes actually in Boston.
Well, that's just the BostonBRT (Barr Foundation I think?) supported work.

The Roslindale/Forest Hills bus lane is supposed to going in for real next year, TSP is going in for the B + E branches of the Green Line, and they've got some other projects I've seen mentioned:

Quoted from this presentation:

"Case Study: Blue Hill Ave. & Warren St. Traffic Signal Improvement Project
- Joint Highway/BTD initiative to rebuild 16 intersections, including new traffic signals by 2019
- MBTA is working to ensure that TSP is included in the project during design.
- Touching on bus routes 14,19, 23, 28, 29, 44"

So Boston is doing some things in this realm.
millerm277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:24 PM   #476
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 1,733
Re: MBTA Bus & BRT

I take that back. The Boston BRT site has a big page on all door boarding for the silver line (SL4 and SL5)

It also posts corridors that it wants to see.



And yes this is the Barr foundation.

Anyway I would love to see some BRT in Southie. Some bus lanes on a lynn to wonderland route would also make sense.

Last edited by tysmith95; 02-14-2018 at 05:47 PM.
tysmith95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Redesigned MBTA c_combat Design a Better Boston 30 12-19-2013 09:38 PM
MBTA Porn shmessy Transit and Infrastructure 0 04-13-2013 12:57 PM
MBTA Art found5dollar Transit and Infrastructure 10 04-04-2011 07:49 PM
MBTA Forum PaulC Transit and Infrastructure 13 06-17-2009 02:10 AM
The Future MBTA PerfectHandle Transit and Infrastructure 10 03-14-2007 02:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.