archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 01-27-2018, 01:02 PM   #701
tysmith95

Re: General Infrastructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
The phases are:
1. Mass Ave through, both directions (no turns allowed) - long crosswalk on is on. This is also the longest vehicular phase, so the crossing time for that crosswalk actually increases despite the island being removed. Also cars can no longer turn right into the crosswalk while it is on walk as they have a red arrow.
Actually according to the Mass Vehicle code you can take a right on red even with an arrow as long as there isn't a no turn on red sign.

Also on a one way road intersecting another one way road you can take a left on red. I wish more drivers would figure that one out.
tysmith95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:50 PM   #702
ceo

If the other road is one way right-to-left, that is. :-)
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #703
sm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Actually according to the Mass Vehicle code you can take a right on red even with an arrow as long as there isn't a no turn on red sign.

Also on a one way road intersecting another one way road you can take a left on red. I wish more drivers would figure that one out.
It will be no turn on red. Almost every intersection is Cambridge is no turn on red.

The lane arrangement is 2 through, 1 right, 1 bike through, so turning on red will not be allowed as it would cut off bikes.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #704
odurandina

How do they assume that? Do they give out licenses to people who can't drive?

I'm looking at what's coming before i move into the path of a possible bike.

btw, some of these crazies on bikes would do themselves a solid by not blasting through intersections.

All those 'no turn on red's' accomplish is jam up traffic.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #705
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
How do they assume that? Do they give out licenses to people who can't drive?

I'm looking at what's coming before i move into the path of a possible bike.

btw, some of these crazies on bikes would do themselves a solid by not blasting through intersections.

The right hook is probably the most deadly collision that bike riders regularly face (besides dooring). Most drivers aren't used to having to check their side mirrors for bikes.
tysmith95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #706
chmeeee

Quote:
Apparently pedestrian safety is not a thing.
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #707
fattony

Quote:
Aside from pedestrian protection, which I don't think requires any additional explanation, "no turn on red" is actually a very effective protection against gridlock. I mean literal gridlock - when cars wedge themselves into intersections that they cannot clear, get trapped, and thus obstruct cars from moving on the next light phase.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:29 AM   #708
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
Aside from pedestrian protection, which I don't think requires any additional explanation, "no turn on red" is actually a very effective protection against gridlock. I mean literal gridlock - when cars wedge themselves into intersections that they cannot clear, get trapped, and thus obstruct cars from moving on the next light phase.
Also, there are intersections where the sight lines simply do not support safe right turn on red (but drivers will be dumb if you let them).

Great example is Herald Street where it ends at Albany Street. Herald Street drivers (aggressively trying to get to I-93) would love to turn right on red, but it is not allowed. Albany Street moves pretty quickly out of downtown, and the right hand lane is a pop up exit out of the O'Neill Tunnel. Sight lines from Herald can not see this traffic until it is too late.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:09 PM   #709
Roxxma

No turn on red is a vestige of the energy crises in the 1970s, meant to prevent excessive idling. In urban areas it should be the default. Per a FHWA study on practices in other countries, Germany, where safety is taken into account over ease of moving vehicle traffic when designing intersections, right on red is only permitted "if the following criteria are met: Motorized traffic has clear lines of sight to all bicycle or pedestrian crossings. Signals are present to control pedestrian crossings. Conflicting pedestrians do not cross more than two lanes. No bicycle traffic is present. No more than two serious accidents have occurred at the intersection in the past three years."
Roxxma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #710
Charlie_mta

I agree. You're lucky if the driver even makes a full stop on "right turn on red." Many times they just blow right on through.
Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #711
Joel N. Weber II

Re: Porter Sq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel N. Weber II View Post
It might also be possible to reconfigure the plaza to provide a separated right turn lane from Somerville Ave to Mass Ave on a more direct path sort of like how the Wilson Sq right turn from Somerville Ave to Elm St works (but probably without copying Wilson Sq's parking). It might also make sense to move the 83 bus stop into that area.
If this ends up being done, it might make sense to reconfigure the existing mall entrance and right turn exit to be an entrance only, and then use part of the existing left turn exit to feed right turning traffic into that new Somerville Ave to Mass Ave northbound path, and have the traffic from Somerville Ave merge onto Mass Ave a bit to the southeast of that mall entrance, with the traffic from Somerville Ave having a stop sign at Mass Ave. (Mall traffic heading to Mass Ave northbound would probably then encounter two stop signs, the first when merging with the traffic from Somerville Ave and the second when merging with traffic from Mass Ave.)
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote