archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:16 PM   #481
Cobean

Re: Somerville Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrat View Post
this is just down the street from me and it's amazed me ever since it closed that it REMAINED vacant. a giant parcel in frickin somerville -- yeah, yeah, i get that it's winter hill and not davis square, but still -- just sits there, doing nothing, for 11 years?!?! i'm very happy to finally see movement on this. will be happier when i see demo and construction begin for real.
Same here.

Winter Hill has the potential to be a very cool neighborhood. Mixing this new development with the other building and 5 retail spaces that just opened on Temple and Broadway will give the neighborhood a nice mix.

There are already some great cheap eats and markets along with Winter Hill brewing. I hope that the retail mix in this new project will liven up the area and add some balance in options.
Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #482
chrisbrat

i was not at all encouraged that the first announced tenant of the new building at temple/broadway (which, itself, is an ugly prefab blob) is.... a nail salon.

winter hill has lots of nail and hair places. winter hill brewery was a great addition and sarma (if you consider that to be in winter hill) is, of course, top notch, but enough with the pizza places (5 on a 1/2 mile stretch of broadway. i love leone's and mama lisa, but ENOUGH) and salons.

a sit-down restaurant, another bar, some retail that's NOT some budget cell phone store, not yet another bank or drugstore.

i don't understand why they ever closed the bickford's. that was always hopping. then they tried that fancy, overpriced italian place which was totally tone-deaf to the neighborhood (also, it never works when you take a former mcdonalds, ihop, etc -- any building that clearly served a very different purpose -- and then plop a new sign on and try to pass it off as "high end"), and now it's... an urgent care center. exciting!

i don't want to over-fancify the neighborhood -- and for what it's worth i hope when the larger star market area is redone they leave winter hill liquors -- but, yeah, it's really weird for such a wide swath of one of the most in-demand cities in the area (hell, in the country) to be so barren.

Last edited by chrisbrat; 03-08-2018 at 06:46 PM.
chrisbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #483
ryblogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrat View Post
i was not at all encouraged that the first announced tenant of the new building at temple/broadway (which, itself, is an ugly prefab blob) is.... a nail salon.

winter hill has lots of nail and hair places. winter hill brewery was a great addition and sarma (if you consider that to be in winter hill) is, of course, top notch, but enough with the pizza places (5 on a 1/2 mile stretch of broadway. i love leone's and mama lisa, but ENOUGH) and salons.

a sit-down restaurant, another bar, some retail that's NOT some budget cell phone store, not yet another bank or drugstore.

i don't understand why they ever closed the bickford's. that was always hopping. then they tried that fancy, overpriced italian place which was totally tone-deaf to the neighborhood (also, it never works when you take a former mcdonalds, ihop, etc -- any building that clearly served a very different purpose -- and then plop a new sign on and try to pass it off as "high end"), and now it's... and urgent care center. exciting!

i don't want to over-fancify the neighborhood -- and for what it's worth i hope when the larger star market area is redone they leave winter hill liquors -- but, yeah, it's really weird for such a wide swath of one of the most in-demand cities in the area (hell, in the country) to be so barren.
I suppose winter hill has been seen as "less sexy" due to the lack of transit options. With the GLX rebooted, a lot of potential has been "unlocked", so to say.
ryblogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #484
chrisbrat

absolutely. when/if the gilman square station finally materializes (near sarma, down the hill from city hall and about a five-minute walk to the very area of broadway we're talking about) it'll be a whole different ballgame.
chrisbrat is offline   Reply With Quote