archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Design a Better Boston

Design a Better Boston Are you disappointed with the state of Boston's current architecture/development? Think you have a better idea? Post it here.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
stick n move

Reclaim South Bay

The #1 thing I would like to see is boston take back a part of the south bay that was once there and was filled in. It will never be as big as it was but the part i edited in this pic is just train tracks and fill. If we extended fort point further in it would be even more accessable than the charles is and there could be lots of docks and restaurants and it would give boston a more defined boundary from south boston. I feel like this part of the city is too tangled up and hard to navigate and this would make mass ave, berkley steet etc, go directly to the water front where a road could wind along following the waterfront and go up past where the ups is now. I know its never gonna happen but in a perfect world it would be pretty sick.

[IMG][/IMG]
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
MBTAddict

Re: Reclaim Fort Point

I have no idea about the technical feasibility of something like this, but I love the idea. The Tea Party Museum has me looking at Fort Point in a whole new way. I'd love to see more things happening both in the channel and along the edges. Boston was a ton of waterfront, but I feel like a lot of it doesn't get used to its potential. This would be a great way to create some more waterfront that could be used for the types of things you mention - restaurants, cultural attractions, etc.
MBTAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Ron Newman

Send a message via AIM to Ron Newman

Keep in mind that the Congress Street, Summer Street, and (I think) Dorchester Ave bridges are no longer operable, which limits the kinds of navigation that can happen here.
Ron Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
AmericanFolkLegend

This is a nice idea but I don't think removing land from a land constrained city is the best move. You can say it's "just train tracks", but rail yards need to exist somewhere. In the future, you can develop rail yards. Once you turn something into a body of water, you're not getting it back. Ever.
AmericanFolkLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
stick n move

i kno its more of a what if they hadnt filled it all in type of deal
Old 06-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
whighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFolkLegend View Post
This is a nice idea but I don't think removing land from a land constrained city is the best move. You can say it's "just train tracks", but rail yards need to exist somewhere. In the future, you can develop rail yards. Once you turn something into a body of water, you're not getting it back. Ever.
AMF-- HUH? -- where do you think all the land the train track are located upon came from -- they was water or mud

The only constraint is obnoxious bureauKrapy regulations -- otherwise just like when you were a little kid -- water + dirt = mud and mud - water = dirt
whighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
vanshnookenraggen

Re: Reclaim South Bay

I changed the name to be more appropriate to what you are proposing.

Interestingly there is historic precedent for this. The South Bay was actually expanded at one time and the dug out fill going to fill in other parts of downtown (I don't remember which parts exactly, Bulfinch Triangle?). Eventually that part of the bay was refilled in.

The main problem with this proposal is the land that's there has to be pretty nasty as it's been used for industrial and transportation for a hundred years. Also the bay was filled in because the Roxbury creek was so heavily polluted. You'd have to address these environmental concerns before anything.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
czsz

I was hoping this thread would have to do with the South Bay strip mall extravaganza. I'd love to see that reclaimed in any way possible, including water.
czsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #9
stick n move

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
BostonUrbEx

Seems like a waste if it's going to be flanked by a massive highway.
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #11
Shepard

Will South Bay Strip Mall ever be redeveloped?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #12
omaja

Wouldn't that become some of the most valuable undeveloped land in the area if the rail yard was relocated? Can't imagine the city eliminating a potentially lucrative tax-generating land area like that.
omaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
datadyne007

Lol, Viva la Shawmut Peninsula!
datadyne007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #14
Charlie_mta

The South Bay re-establishment idea made me think of Millers River, which used to exist between Cambridge, Somerville and Charlestown. The Millers River used to serve flood control and navigation functions. Re-establishment of Millers River as shown here could help spur high density redevelopment of the area, augmented by the proposed downsizing of McGrath Highway. Better flood control in the area would also be a bonus from such a project.

Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
BussesAin'tTrains

Northpoint development and the MBTA would LOVE that
BussesAin'tTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #16
Justin7

At one point there was some discussion around here about turning the Seaport (or whatever we call it now) into a "canal district." This would be along the same lines. I think both would be pretty great, but obviously neither will ever happen.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #17
whighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_mta View Post
The South Bay re-establishment idea made me think of Millers River, which used to exist between Cambridge, Somerville and Charlestown. The Millers River used to serve flood control and navigation functions. Re-establishment of Millers River as shown here could help spur high density redevelopment of the area, augmented by the proposed downsizing of McGrath Highway. Better flood control in the area would also be a bonus from such a project.

Ahah -- I knew it -- this is a stealth attempt by the "pre-rail" cabal to regenerate the Middlesex Cannal as the prime means of traveling from NH and Lowell to Boston so that they can board sailing sloops bound for the docks of London

Personally I favor the return of the Horse Cars between Haaaaaaahvd2 and Boston -- a lot more pleasant than decending into the earth to be transported by that new-fangled electric traction
Old 06-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
vanshnookenraggen

That is my favorite post of yours.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
whighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
That is my favorite post of yours.
Note in Oxford they are still a viable means of recreational travel -- so why not

Quote:
Welcome to the wonderful world of inland waterways, the fastest way of slowing down!

Oxfordshire Narrowboats is proudly independent. We offer a real voice at the end of the phone to help you choose the right boat and location for your valuable escape from the pressures of modern day living! Our boats are fully equipped with everything you might need, from phone charging points and DVD players, to all your bed linen and washing up kit... all you need to do is bring your own personal clothing, food and drink provisions, and a sense of fun!

Your holiday is one of the safest on water - we even have a 24hr manned emergency callout phone for your added peace of mind - and we willingly provide buoyancy aids for children and non-swimmers. Full tuition is provided so that even a total novice will set off feeling confident about their first waterway adventure!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
AmericanFolkLegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by whighlander View Post
AMF-- HUH? -- where do you think all the land the train track are located upon came from -- they was water or mud

The only constraint is obnoxious bureauKrapy regulations -- otherwise just like when you were a little kid -- water + dirt = mud and mud - water = dirt
When was the last time you heard of a major body of water being filled in in Greater Boston?
AmericanFolkLegend is offline   Reply With Quote