archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > General

General Misc. topics.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Justin7

McDonald's restaurants to open at the Louvre

McApocalypse?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...he-Louvre.html
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
czsz

Re: McDonald's restaurants to open at the Louvre

I don't know what it means.

Call a symbologist!
czsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Lurker

France surrenders?

"And please, I wear my Harvard Yard shorts a seersucker with crimson whales when I ghost-ride the limozine with my mangy fat cats." -Kennedy

Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
kz1000ps

I hope they'll be serving freedom fries there.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
briv
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to briv

It's only fitting. The Louvre is the McDonalds of art museums and the Mona Lisa is its Big Mac.

They both inhabit a prominent place in the average Joe's consciousness as a result of intense marketing, cultural or otherwise. You can even look at the world's lesser museums as franchises.
briv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #6
JohnAKeith

I think I'm the only person in the world who tried to visit a trip to Euro Disney and the Louvre into the same day ... and the Louvre lost. My partner went on his own. I believe they have a "speed" tour where you can see the big ticket items (at the Louvre ... actually at Euro Disney, too) such as the Mona Lisa and the Venus De Milo (is that there?). I seem to remember they even have a path painted on the floor so you can get to them , fast. No?

But, perhaps the Louvre is smart and puts their famous stuff in the back, sort of like where supermarkets put the milk, hoping you'll stop along the way to look at a couple things.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Lurker

Redesign the exhibits in the Louvre to be like an Ikea, or any long term relationship, and force visitors to plod through everything else first before getting to the good stuff.

"And please, I wear my Harvard Yard shorts a seersucker with crimson whales when I ghost-ride the limozine with my mangy fat cats." -Kennedy

Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
czsz

From what I remember tourists have to tramp through some other stuff to get to the Mona Lisa...but it's a total waste. They just single mindedly stampede their way there.
czsz is offline   Reply With Quote