archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #161
kz1000ps

Re: Verizon Building Tower

Yeah, what the heck...
Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 PM   #162
davem

I don't think its another building, I believe what you are seeing are the actual windows that meet the interior, wheras the stuff they removed was built over it since glazing was in its infancy at the time and probably not weather tight. Kind of like windows facing an interior atrium
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #163
statler
Administrator

Don't know how accurate this is, but I found it while looking for older pictures of the building (of which there are hardly any - it's like this building didn't exist until PO Sq park opened.)
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 PM   #164
Ron Newman

Send a message via AIM to Ron Newman

I see no Bell System logo in that rendering. Is it really going away?
Ron Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #165
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post
I don't think its another building, I believe what you are seeing are the actual windows that meet the interior, wheras the stuff they removed was built over it since glazing was in its infancy at the time and probably not weather tight. Kind of like windows facing an interior atrium
Strange that it would be in entirely different style than the rest of the exterior, no? I am surprised there are any windows at all there.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #166
statler
Administrator

I swear I remember seeing a photo of the building with a different facade at one point, but I'm not having any luck finding it.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #167
TheRifleman

I feel like they are trying to ruin this antique.

This should be a "CRIME"

Last edited by TheRifleman; 05-03-2013 at 12:01 PM.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #168
Roxxma

What garbage. This is architectural vandalism. Those responsible for this ought to be ashamed.
Roxxma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #169
statler
Administrator

Too be fair this building was built in 1949, not exactly Art Deco's hay day. I've always referred to it as a Faux Deco building. I love Deco buildings but this one never really lit my fire.

6 Bowdoin Sq is the real deal, though that's been mostly gutted now.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #170
davem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Strange that it would be in entirely different style than the rest of the exterior, no? I am surprised there are any windows at all there.
It was never meant to be seen, so they grabbed the cheapest steel double-hungs they could find.

I'm also not 100% convinced the part they removed was original. First it looks closer to the po-mo interpretation of deco than the real thing, and second it matches those aforementioned phone booths so closely I'm suspicious. I am basing this entirely off the google street view, so I could be wrong. My guess is it probably had an understated geometric patterned glazing similar to the old Hancock, which was then redone to "improve" the building when they renovated PO square, similarly to how it is being "improved" now...

I'll agree with Rif however, it does appear they are ruining the bit of dignity this building had. The new doorway treatment is inappropriate, and the removal of the bell system logos is akin to removing a builders mark. Even Verizon didn't remove it (even though the logo is used by AT&T).
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #171
statler
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem View Post

I'm also not 100% convinced the part they removed was original. First it looks closer to the po-mo interpretation of deco than the real thing, and second it matches those aforementioned phone booths so closely I'm suspicious. I am basing this entirely off the google street view, so I could be wrong. My guess is it probably had an understated geometric patterned glazing similar to the old Hancock, which was then redone to "improve" the building when they renovated PO square, similarly to how it is being "improved" now...
I have a feeling you are right. I'm asking around if anyone remembers this building from the 50's-60's. No luck yet.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #172
bbfen

Who said they're removing the Bell logo? The pic on the prior page still shows it, and the pic Statler posted is from an older, defunct proposal. I mean, has anyone walked by to confirm? Does anyone even know what they're actually doing to it? Breathe into a paper bag folks.
bbfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #173
palindrome

[IMG][/IMG]
palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #174
vanshnookenraggen

Needs a glass tower on the top.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #175
BostonUrbEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
Wow, they're razing all the buildings around it!
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #176
Czervik.Construction

With that building all glowing inside, it sort of reminds me of the haunted apartment building in Ghostbusters. "There is no Dana, there is only Zuul".

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post

Don't know how accurate this is, but I found it while looking for older pictures of the building (of which there are hardly any - it's like this building didn't exist until PO Sq park opened.)
Czervik.Construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #177
vanshnookenraggen

55 Central Park West.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #178
AdamBC

Out with the old, in with the new.

AdamBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #179
GMACK24

oh and due to construction on the 6th floor the employees on that floor were transferred to Bowdoin due to health concerns. Dust, Heat, ETC. A few agencies were called in to verify the conditions. All conditions were "normal" but the employees were still concerned and asked to be moved. So off they go.

So that floor is now empty and the fate of the employees on 3,4,5 are still up in the air.
Floor 1 is retail and floor 2 is for the CO. I am on the 3rd floor.

So stay tuned as they say.
GMACK24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #180
Padre Mike

Looked for help in google images. The old facade was really wonderful, IMO:
https://www.google.com/search?site=&...w=1454&bih=693

I surmise that the weird interior windows were prob. to let some light into storage or mechanical rooms and so they were able to get away with cheapies, since they were going to be covered over anyway.
Padre Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addition, art deco, dean cornwell, downtown, financial district, mural, new england telephone, preservation