archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:11 PM   #261
tysmith95

Re: Landmark Center Expansion | Fenway

[quote=shmessy;304231]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayResident View Post
I can't read the Boston Globe so I'm not sure what it says in there,.......QUOTE]

Sure you can. Just clear the history in your browser every 2 articles. Presto. free Globe.
If you don't want to do that there is a workaround. I set up internet explorer to delete all cookie and other saved information every time I close the browser. So whenever i want to look at the globe I switch from my normal browser (chrome) to IE.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #262
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthEnder88 View Post
Bisnow got an interview with the CEO and Samuels...sounds like Time Out is going to launch a Boston version of the magazine, and vendors are selected based on how well they are reviewed (or at least partially that way):

https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/r...79974?rt=48563
It's a very interesting approach to running a food hall. It is supposed to be some sort of local culinary meritocracy whereby vendors earn the opportunity to run a stall. It's designed to prevent pay-to-play / ensure high quality food.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:09 PM   #263
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
It's a very interesting approach to running a food hall. It is supposed to be some sort of local culinary meritocracy whereby vendors earn the opportunity to run a stall. It's designed to prevent pay-to-play / ensure high quality food.
But it also means that only established, well-known chefs will be able to run a stall.

A stall in a food hall would be the perfect spot for an up-and-comer who doesn't have the experience of running his/her own restaurant, but with this "only 4- and 5-star" model it sounds like the hall won't be open to that sort of chef.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #264
FenwayResident

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
But it also means that only established, well-known chefs will be able to run a stall.

A stall in a food hall would be the perfect spot for an up-and-comer who doesn't have the experience of running his/her own restaurant, but with this "only 4- and 5-star" model it sounds like the hall won't be open to that sort of chef.
I took a look at their NYC ratings and it seems like they have a lot of down to earth restaurants rated at 4-5 stars. Granted we won't be seeing any Singapore-style hawker food stalls where it's just one random guy making amazing food, but I'm happy they're at least trying to make the food as high quality as possible. The worst case scenario would be another Quincy Market.
FenwayResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #265
bigpicture7

^ Jumbo has a point, but what I believe they are going for is: "sample the best of [city] under one roof". It is meant to be somewhat of a showcase - almost like a live version of a restaurant guide. So yes, there's definitely an element of establishing oneself with hopes to earn entry. But from my experience in Lisbon, the stalls definitely weren't limited to multi-restaurant uberchefs...the whole point of the business model is there might be these great hole-in-the-wall places that are tough to get to, but you can sample their offerings here.

Not saying it's the best model, but it is unique, and its a vast improvement over corporatized food courts.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #266
Mike

according to the Globe 401 Park was approved last week.

Quote:
Builders with permitted sites from Dorchester to the Fenway to downtown are also weighing whether to go the spec route.

Were actively discussing it, said Peter Sougarides, executive vice president at Samuels & Associates, which on Thursday won city approvals for a 14-story office building at Landmark Center in the Fenway. Its a very unique time in the marketplace for Boston. We have some very large users who are ready to go.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...o3K/story.html

http://www.bldup.com/projects/landmark-center-expansion
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #267
JohnAKeith

Remember when we DID have a Time Out?
Old 12-04-2017, 08:19 PM   #268
stick n move

From the bldup link posted above:

stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 PM   #269
Czervik.Construction

I bet this black metal look with mullion bar windows will get played out like offset windows, but I really like it. We have a few down here in the Meatpacking that pull it off quite well.
Czervik.Construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #270
GW

I like the design, too. Just wish we still had the housing....
GW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:47 PM   #271
vanshnookenraggen

That'll do nicely.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #272
odurandina

All that housing @ retail seemed like a natural fit..... would have been a great place for people to call home.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #273
JumboBuc

^ I think it's a pretty safe bet that once "Phase II" is complete we'll see a residential "Phase III" proposed for the NW portion of this site along the GL tracks where BB&B is now.

JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #274
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
^ I think it's a pretty safe bet that once "Phase II" is complete we'll see a residential "Phase III" proposed for the NW portion of this site along the GL tracks where BB&B is now.
I agree. They didn't cancel that portion of the project, only postponed it.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #275
cjbski

There will be two "pods" for food/drink in front of Landmark Center - they're taking submission ideas now: https://www.thefenwaypods.com/
cjbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #276
DigitalSciGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
From the bldup link posted above:

I love it! It feels distinct, weighty, and modern, yet I can't help but be reminded of One Liberty Plaza in downtown Manhattan.
DigitalSciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #277
mdd

It's the big brother to 10 Farnsworth St.
mdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:23 AM   #278
FK4

Looks very nice. Love the nod to industrial windows.

Interesting to notice how the design - at first glance - makes the floor number look like half of what it actually is due to the window divisions only every other floor.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #279
cadetcarl

I'm gonna start calling that move the Boston window. It's the architectural equivalent of your mom telling the person at the ticket counter you were still 9 so you could get children's prices even though you were clearly in middle school.
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #280
FenwayResident

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetcarl View Post
I'm gonna start calling that move the Boston window. It's the architectural equivalent of your mom telling the person at the ticket counter you were still 9 so you could get children's prices even though you were clearly in middle school.
If only the FAA requirements were based on windows instead of feet!
FenwayResident is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brookline ave, fenway, landmark center, steve samuels