archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:01 PM   #341
tysmith95

Re: Brookline Developments

The Seaport and East Boston have this thing called the airport that they have to deal with. They can't build tall towers.

Anyway the seaport is being built very densely and providing lots of new (mostly expensive) housing and office/retail space. Eastie is a historically dense neighborhood that is getting even denser. You don't need height to have density.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #342
odurandina

oh, i wasn't talking about the lack of skyscrapers in the Seaport. i'm talking about all the assholes who post in the Globe about the Seaport being ruined (at just the current scale), and other Globe bullshit peddling.,

Sure, in a perfect world, a few moderately tall buildings might peak above 260' zoning.... But the Seaport is fine just the same.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #343
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
A very poor rationale. Don't need it. This part of Brookline is urban, (like Somerville). But you still should not have to use an "equal to" type of justification (such as comparing the neighborhood to Somerville) for Brookline to plan modest increases of density in Boston's urban core.
What are you talking about? The point was that there are already bigger buildings along the same bleeping road, so it's not as if this would be out of scale for Brookline. Even the largest building in the original proposal is still right in line with many of the residential buildings surrounding Coolidge Corner and Washington Square.

I certainly wasn't saying "at least there are still some taller buildings in Brookline." I was saying that there is already a precedent for going larger on Beacon Street! They shouldn't have cut a single floor or a single square foot from the original proposal.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:23 PM   #344
odurandina

i know. i simply wanted to admonish something we all do too often: offering equivalency to justify what will be modest. incremental growth (as you took the initiative to demonstrate). That's precisely what it is: What is required and nothing more... scaled up, but appropriate in Brookline's urban peninsula i never said build a 500' building in Brookline. The original proposal was perfect.... one size-cutting event isn't the end of Boston's metro; but endless size-cutting is having an accumulative effect of which, ultimately, the result will be disastrous.

I respect what Brookline is, and what it should be. Brookline needs to participate in the future greatness and "scaling up" of Boston in some reasonable way. Nothing out of bounds. This doesn't rise to the acceptable level; it's just tossing away land (by design) and sticking it's middle finger up at Boston.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #345
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
But hey, I guess some of you would rather raze more Dainty Dots and Times Buildings than build at the appropriate scale in sensible locations the first time around.
I would have preferred the original scale as well, but this statement is absurd.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #346
GW

I'm not surprised at all this was reduced - I'm sure the developer expected it - but it looks like we didn't loose too many residences, which are more important (in my opinion) than the hotel rooms.

I would have preferred the original plan, too, but in all honesty I think this will look better at least.
GW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 AM   #347
Bergeron37

I don't think this was ever posted but if it was my apologies. This is the final planning board presentation from October which shows the final hotel design and program for 700 Brookline Ave (formerly 25 Washington Street). This is directly across the street from the Children's project at Brookline Place. Construction expected to start within the next month or so

http://www.brooklinema.gov/DocumentC...ome/View/13033

If someone wants to strip out the renders from the presentation that would be awesome.
Bergeron37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #348
cjbski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron37 View Post
I don't think this was ever posted but if it was my apologies. This is the final planning board presentation from October which shows the final hotel design and program for 700 Brookline Ave (formerly 25 Washington Street). This is directly across the street from the Children's project at Brookline Place. Construction expected to start within the next month or so

http://www.brooklinema.gov/DocumentC...ome/View/13033

If someone wants to strip out the renders from the presentation that would be awesome.
Now that's a nice looking building and location.
cjbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #349
BosDevelop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbski View Post

The front entrance looks like a bit like a mini (very mini) version of the new Four Seasons going up on Dalton St (see p. 32 of link). I doubt the materials will be the same quality. LOL.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:03 PM   #350
Beton Brut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbski View Post
Really slick. Better than a lot of the Seaport and the entire Bulfinch Triangle.

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote