archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 12-20-2017, 04:10 PM   #2381
meddlepal

Re: Fan Pier

I can't really figure out what is suppressing hotel construction in Boston. Collusion among the bigger players and city to maintain status quo? Land? Costs > ROI?

It just doesn't make a lot of sense.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:33 PM   #2382
JumboBuc

What is "suppressing hotel construction in Boston" is the same thing that's suppressing every other type of construction in Boston. That and opportunity cost: every hotel that you build is a residential or office project that your don't build.

And besides, there has been a decent amount of hotel construction in this area lately (as previous commentors have shown).

Fallon isn't saying that he can't build a hotel and turn a profit. Any time you evaluate an investment, you have to evaluate it in comparison to other investments that you could make instead. If a hotel makes you 10 million bucks but a condo building makes you 12 million, then it doesn't "make economic sense" to build the hotel. I think that's what he's saying here, not that a hotel would be an absolute money loser.

The guy is probably making an absolute killing off of 22 and 50 Liberty. He wants to keep those condo dollars coming, and passing up an opportunity to build another condo project so that he can build a hotel instead doesn't make sense to him.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #2383
odurandina

Anyone know what the two parcels are getting/

re: # res units/sq ft, office sq ft?
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:00 PM   #2384
jklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddlepal View Post
I can't really figure out what is suppressing hotel construction in Boston. Collusion among the bigger players and city to maintain status quo? Land? Costs > ROI?

It just doesn't make a lot of sense.
He can make more money renting 'condos' out on AirBnB?
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #2385
Bergeron37

Hotel construction lending has all but dried up at this point in the cycle and most lenders have too much exposure. There is a lot of new supply coming with the convention center hotel and in order to have a slam-dunk hotel development, you better have a flag from one of the major operators. Problem with the seaport is most of the good flags from good brands are spoken for and no one wants to build a full-service hotel if you don't have to. How many full service Marriott's or Hilton's have you seen built in the last 10 years? Fallon probably couldn't get the flag he wanted and that's really the only way to secure good financing in the hotel industry.

The lending issue is why I firmly believe we won't see the dual-branded Homewood/Hampton built in the seaport. Construction costs are through the roof and hotel developers know the end is in sight
Bergeron37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #2386
BosDevelop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron37 View Post
Problem with the seaport is most of the good flags from good brands are spoken for
St. Regis
Peninsula
Rosewood
Waldorf
Grand/Park Hyatt
JW Marriott

I don't believe we have any of these hotels in town nor any plans I have heard to add any. So, certainly plenty of options left in the 4 star+ category.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #2387
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosDevelop View Post
St. Regis
Peninsula
Rosewood
Waldorf
Grand/Park Hyatt
JW Marriott

I don't believe we have any of these hotels in town nor any plans I have heard to add any. So, certainly plenty of options left in the 4 star+ category.
Three of these are currently having a serious identity crisis with the Marriott/Starwood merger. I wouldn't expect to see a new Waldorf, St. Regis or JW Marriott for a while until Marriott figures out which of these brands will survive (they simply have to many undifferentiated brands now).
Old 12-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #2388
BosDevelop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
Three of these are currently having a serious identity crisis with the Marriott/Starwood merger. I wouldn't expect to see a new Waldorf, St. Regis or JW Marriott for a while until Marriott figures out which of these brands will survive (they simply have to many undifferentiated brands now).
I highly doubt the JW Marriott and St. Regis brands are going anywhere soon. They consistently rank among the best chain hotels in the country along with Mandarin, Four Seasons etc. Marriott would be crazy to kill those off.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #2389
BeeLine

Looks like they are starting organize the D parcel. They have moved in jersey barriers along the north side and are starting to move site offices over to the east side of the site. They have also taken all the 50 Liberty site information off the Project Information Board and only left the Parcel D specs.

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #2390
34f34f

From 3/3:

34f34f is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elkus manfredi, fallon, fan pier, new construction, seaport, south boston