archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #3261
HenryAlan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,644
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
From wikipedia:
Boston density: 6,900/sq mi
DC: 11,158/sq mi

I was referencing density and not total population - you can have population density without building taller than about 6 stories, as DC also shows. Paris is on an entirely different level at 55,000/sq mi.
Where did you find those numbers? I'm looking at this Wikipedia entry listing cites above 10,000 ppm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

It states Boston at 13,321 and DC doesn't make the list.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #3262
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Fenway
Posts: 1,519
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
From wikipedia:
Boston density: 6,900/sq mi
DC: 11,158/sq mi

I was referencing density and not total population - you can have population density without building taller than about 6 stories, as DC also shows. Paris is on an entirely different level at 55,000/sq mi.
These numbers are not apples to apples.

The quoted DC density is 2016 population (681,170 people) divided by land area (61.05 sq miles). That yields 11,158 people per square mile.

The quoted Boston density is 2010 population (617,594 people) divided by total area (89.63 square miles). That yields 6,890 people per square mile.

If you use the same calculation DC uses for Boston (2016 pop / land area) you get (673,184 / 48.42) = 13,903 people per square mile. That's 24.6% more dense than DC.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #3263
fattony
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Davis/Ball Sq.
Posts: 1,537
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
These numbers are not apples to apples.

The quoted DC density is 2016 population (681,170 people) divided by land area (61.05 sq miles). That yields 11,158 people per square mile.

The quoted Boston density is 2010 population (617,594 people) divided by total area (89.63 square miles). That yields 6,890 people per square mile.

If you use the same calculation DC uses for Boston (2016 pop / land area) you get (673,184 / 48.42) = 13,903 people per square mile. That's 24.6% more dense than DC.
Good catch, you have to be careful with population density calculations!
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #3264
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,444
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
These numbers are not apples to apples.

The quoted DC density is 2016 population (681,170 people) divided by land area (61.05 sq miles). That yields 11,158 people per square mile.

The quoted Boston density is 2010 population (617,594 people) divided by total area (89.63 square miles). That yields 6,890 people per square mile.

If you use the same calculation DC uses for Boston (2016 pop / land area) you get (673,184 / 48.42) = 13,903 people per square mile. That's 24.6% more dense than DC.
Yes, Boston likes to promote the larger area number, because the city is really quite tiny. The land area of Boston is second smallest in the US for major cities, just above San Francisco.

Total area for Boston includes a huge chunk of Boston Harbor.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #3265
tocoto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 327
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Where did you find those numbers? I'm looking at this Wikipedia entry listing cites above 10,000 ppm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

It states Boston at 13,321 and DC doesn't make the list.
Fixed this on Wikipedia. There is so much disinformation on that site it's almost useless. You certainly have to be wary of mistakes or purposeful BS since anyone can edit it.
tocoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #3266
odurandina
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,127
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
From wikipedia:
Boston density: 6,900/sq mi
DC: 11,158/sq mi

I was referencing density and not total population - you can have population density without building taller than about 6 stories, as DC also shows. Paris is on an entirely different level at 55,000/sq mi.
your number for Boston looks like it's showing the metro statistical area.

Boston's density for the city proper is very close to 14,000/ sq mi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Where did you find those numbers? I'm looking at this Wikipedia entry listing cites above 10,000 ppm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

It states Boston at 13,321 and DC doesn't make the list.
This is also an old number. We topped 14,000 / sq mi sometime late last year. ....If you go to the Boston Wiki page, you'll see the updated numbers, which may also, soon need to be updated.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:05 PM   #3267
Coyote137
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 400
Send a message via AIM to Coyote137
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
Yes, Boston likes to promote the larger area number, because the city is really quite tiny. The land area of Boston is second smallest in the US for major cities, just above San Francisco.

Total area for Boston includes a huge chunk of Boston Harbor.
I guess it depends on how you define "major." Miami is 35.99 sq. miles (land).
__________________
All opinions expressed in this post represent the views of your employer.
Coyote137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:50 PM   #3268
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 574
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Where did you find those numbers? I'm looking at this Wikipedia entry listing cites above 10,000 ppm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

It states Boston at 13,321 and DC doesn't make the list.
It was from each city's individual pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
These numbers are not apples to apples.

The quoted DC density is 2016 population (681,170 people) divided by land area (61.05 sq miles). That yields 11,158 people per square mile.

The quoted Boston density is 2010 population (617,594 people) divided by total area (89.63 square miles). That yields 6,890 people per square mile.

If you use the same calculation DC uses for Boston (2016 pop / land area) you get (673,184 / 48.42) = 13,903 people per square mile. That's 24.6% more dense than DC.
Ah, thanks, and, yes Wikipedia always comes with a grain of salt. My point of Paris and other cities still stand, though, and I only added DC as I was curious when someone else mentioned it (although the figure of Boston should have jumped out at me as odd). Anyways, mid-census population estimates are curious at best - it will be interesting to see how the 2020 census actually turns out.

Also, I suppose, DC has way more reserved land than us with all the federal buildings, national mall, government agencies, vacant land owned by the feds/government, etc, that even with very height limited buildings they aren't that far off of us.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:25 AM   #3269
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,121
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
Also, I suppose, DC has way more reserved land than us with all the federal buildings, national mall, government agencies, vacant land owned by the feds/government, etc, that even with very height limited buildings they aren't that far off of us.
I just double checked and DC doesn't have an airport within city limits. Subtract out Logan and Boston is over 15,000/square mile.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:28 AM   #3270
KentXie
Senior Member
 
KentXie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fenway
Posts: 3,637
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

I think the point I'm making is that DC has a population slightly larger than Boston and it got to that level with 0 skyscrapers and without an expansive land area like Louisville.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:23 AM   #3271
odurandina
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,127
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

But, you'd have to bring the dozers to many areas of Boston to approach DC's mid-rise density. A mix of height all through the City is the perfect theme that stops the bulldozing of entire sections of neighborhoods.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:30 AM   #3272
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 574
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
I just double checked and DC doesn't have an airport within city limits. Subtract out Logan and Boston is over 15,000/square mile.
Logan is 2,384 acres or 3.725 sqr mi? The feds along own ~29% of DC's land (or 18 sq mi)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...marijuana-map/

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
But, you'd have to bring the dozers to many areas of Boston to approach DC's mid-rise density. A mix of height all through the City is the perfect theme that stops the bulldozing of entire sections of neighborhoods.
Just doing main streets like Dot Ave, Blue Hill, Washington St, Centre, etc to have solid street walls at 3-4 stories (add on existing like in Rozzie Square) or 5-6 stores on vacant/shit lots (see around Ashmont St) would do more than the Bromfield, Winthrop Square, Copley Square, South Station, etc towers that have been proposed.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #3273
Blackdog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 136
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
I think the point I'm making is that DC has a population slightly larger than Boston and it got to that level with 0 skyscrapers and without an expansive land area like Louisville.
So your point is more land, more people can live there? Brilliant.
Blackdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #3274
KentXie
Senior Member
 
KentXie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fenway
Posts: 3,637
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
So your point is more land, more people can live there? Brilliant.
Try again. You can do it Blackdog. I believe in you.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:20 AM   #3275
chrisbrat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Winter Hill, Somerville
Posts: 395
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

i wish any of these many recent posts had anything to do with news relating to 115 winthrop...
chrisbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:07 PM   #3276
HenryAlan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,644
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
This is also an old number. We topped 14,000 / sq mi sometime late last year. ....If you go to the Boston Wiki page, you'll see the updated numbers, which may also, soon need to be updated.
Agreed. The page I cited is using the 2010 census data, so obviously it's out of date. I was only trying to demonstrate that the bellow 7,000 number was wildly off.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:11 PM   #3277
stick n move
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dorchester
Posts: 4,010
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Boston and ny used to be the same size way back in the day. I feel like the more you build the more people move here and it does nothing for housing costs. From new amsterdam to 8 million people...
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:51 PM   #3278
dshoost88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,375
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Baker signs bill to allow proposed 775-foot tower to cast shadows on parks
dshoost88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #3279
617
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 748
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

boom! Attention turns now to the FAA
617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #3280
chrisbrat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Winter Hill, Somerville
Posts: 395
Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

finally, some actual news! thanks, dshoost
chrisbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter Garden | 100 Federal St. | Financial District datadyne007 Development Projects 260 04-22-2018 11:06 PM
What to do with the Financial District vanshnookenraggen Boston Architecture & Urbanism 33 04-08-2013 07:30 PM
Sad day in the Financial District czsz General 23 03-20-2009 06:45 PM
115 Federal St. (Winthrop Square) castevens Development Projects 807 05-29-2007 05:11 PM
Winthrop Square Tower Poll | Early Reaction Mike Development Projects 3 11-18-2006 05:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.