archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:18 AM   #3661
adamh8297

Re: Logan Flight Additions

OAG thread on airliners.net had some developments this week.

1)IcelandAir is increasing to four daily Reykjavik flights for June through September - 3x 757 and 1 x 767.

Flight times (departures from Boston) are even crazier: 2:30pm, 8:15pm, 8:45pm, 9:30pm. Its practically shuttle service at peak times.

2) Delta increases frequencies on Pittsburgh (three daily), Kansas City (up to 2 daily), Jacksonville (up to 2 daily), Nashville (three daily), and Charleston-SC (now daily)

3) Alaska going to 2 daily on Portland, OR for summer.

4) Air Europa cut Boston-Madrid in this weeks filing - this may be a reshuffle or refile.

5) JetBlue appears to have added some sort of frequency on Montego Bay Jamaica service but I couldn't get it to come up on matrix but I think its double Saturday service from what I saw on their site.

Speaking of Caribbean, flights to the area, especially the JetBlue weeklies, are higher this year. I'm guessing its due to hurricane damage to St Thomas, St. Maarten, and Puerto Rico has removed options for travelers thus filling up these flights. One example was Boston-Liberia 3/10-3/17 going for $2170 as of right now. Handful of seats are remaining on it per seat map (not always 100% accurate but indicative of low remaining capacity).
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #3662
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post
OAG thread on airliners.net had some developments this week.

1)IcelandAir is increasing to four daily Reykjavik flights for June through September - 3x 757 and 1 x 767.

Flight times (departures from Boston) are even crazier: 2:30pm, 8:15pm, 8:45pm, 9:30pm. Its practically shuttle service at peak times.

2) Delta increases frequencies on Pittsburgh (three daily), Kansas City (up to 2 daily), Jacksonville (up to 2 daily), Nashville (three daily), and Charleston-SC (now daily)

3) Alaska going to 2 daily on Portland, OR for summer.

4) Air Europa cut Boston-Madrid in this weeks filing - this may be a reshuffle or refile.

5) JetBlue appears to have added some sort of frequency on Montego Bay Jamaica service but I couldn't get it to come up on matrix but I think its double Saturday service from what I saw on their site.

Speaking of Caribbean, flights to the area, especially the JetBlue weeklies, are higher this year. I'm guessing its due to hurricane damage to St Thomas, St. Maarten, and Puerto Rico has removed options for travelers thus filling up these flights. One example was Boston-Liberia 3/10-3/17 going for $2170 as of right now. Handful of seats are remaining on it per seat map (not always 100% accurate but indicative of low remaining capacity).
4 Daily!?! Christ. With that plus Wow Air you've got some serious capacity to Reykjavik. I would think that Norwegian would jeopardize some of Icelandairs connecting traffic, but who knows.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #3663
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
4 Daily!?! Christ. With that plus Wow Air you've got some serious capacity to Reykjavik. I would think that Norwegian would jeopardize some of Icelandairs connecting traffic, but who knows.
Those flights aren't for people. They're for fish (really).
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #3664
adamh8297

One more Air Canada widened the season for Boston-Vancouver.

May 18th - September 23 for Summer 18

Summer 17 was June 23 to September 4
Old 01-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #3665
tysmith95

Quote:

It would be nice if they could make that year round service.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #3666
Jouhou

Quote:
It would be nice if they could make that year round service.
I feel that they are cautiously expanding in that direction
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #3667
mass88

How well does the Vancouver flight time for connections? AC and their partners (namely Air New Zealand) have a solid Pacific network from Vancouver. Come June they will have non-stop flights to Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Auckland. I am wonder if AC could target connections to these flights as well as their Asian flights.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #3668
jass

Quote:

Lots more cruise ships going up there, and the cruise season has expanded
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:01 PM   #3669
adamh8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
How well does the Vancouver flight time for connections? AC and their partners (namely Air New Zealand) have a solid Pacific network from Vancouver. Come June they will have non-stop flights to Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Auckland. I am wonder if AC could target connections to these flights as well as their Asian flights.
Connects to the three Australian cities going towards Oceania but doesn't connect to Air NZ's Auckland flight since it arrives too late.

The connection on the return is tight in Vancouver 90 minutes and factor pre-clearance into that one... you may wind up on a Vancouver-Toronto flight if you miss the connection.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:12 PM   #3670
Jouhou

Pvd lost bergen. Can we have Oslo back now?
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:56 AM   #3671
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Those flights aren't for people. They're for fish (really).
Interesting. Apparently Boston is Icelandair's biggest market for fresh fish shipments (by far) and the value of that shipment is up to $20k on a 757 (or the equivalent of 50-60 economy cabin seats) or $31k on a 767 (or 70-80 seats). Source: https://www.icelandairgroup.is/servl...urfinnsson.pdf

I wonder if the added capacity will benefit passengers with lower fares (especially considering WOW's capacity on the route)? Never flown Icelandair, and I'm hesitant to try WOW, but I have to imagine PAX loads aren't extremely high. I'd definitely prefer Icelandair if the price point was competitive with WOW.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #3672
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Interesting. Apparently Boston is Icelandair's biggest market for fresh fish shipments (by far) and the value of that shipment is up to $20k on a 757 (or 50-60 economy cabin seats) or $31k on a 767 (or 70-80 seats). Source: https://www.icelandairgroup.is/servl...urfinnsson.pdf

I wonder if the added capacity will benefit passengers with lower fares (especially considering WOW's capacity on the route)? Never flown Icelandair, and I'm hesitant to try WOW, but I have to imagine PAX loads aren't extremely high. I'd definitely prefer Icelandair if the price point was competitive with WOW.
For much of northern Europe Icelandair and Wow Air are the cheapest carriers.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #3673
Lrfox

Quote:
For much of northern Europe Icelandair and Wow Air are the cheapest carriers.
WOW is definitely one of the cheapest in my experience, but not Icelandair. I search flights to Northern Europe weekly (not always for myself unfortunately) and WOW and Norwegian dominate the results regularly because of their basic fares (no meals, seats, carry-on or checked bags, etc. included). When you add in any of those things, the fares are typically comparable to full-service carriers. In my experience, the Star Alliance carriers (especially Swiss, Lufthansa, and Turkish) have the lowest fares to Northern Europe on a regular basis for anyone looking to check or carry on bags and select their seats. Icelandair is almost never a top result.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #3674
adamh8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
Pvd lost bergen. Can we have Oslo back now?
May not be a good idea for Norwegian to do this. Seems like they are taking a hit on Scandinavian Longhaul to USA. Stockholm was worst loss per seat - that's why we haven't seen it yet!

Hartford-Edinburgh must have been brutal since it was cut but Providence-Edinburgh was cut slightly and Newburgh-Edinburgh wasn't touched.

https://www.aviationanalytics.com/20...overstretched/

Cork was the most profitable!!! If Cork's runway was longer they could hub NAI there.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:14 PM   #3675
tysmith95

I think it just shows that the new 737MAX routes are more profitable then the 787 ones.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #3676
mass88

Quote:
May not be a good idea for Norwegian to do this. Seems like they are taking a hit on Scandinavian Longhaul to USA. Stockholm was worst loss per seat - that's why we haven't seen it yet!

Hartford-Edinburgh must have been brutal since it was cut but Providence-Edinburgh was cut slightly and Newburgh-Edinburgh wasn't touched.

https://www.aviationanalytics.com/20...overstretched/

Cork was the most profitable!!! If Cork's runway was longer they could hub NAI there.
Who thought yellow was a good idea for a graphic? Can't see Bergin, Rome and Dublin.

They take a beating to the big Scandinavian cities.

We'll have to wait and see what becomes of this airline, they've been expanding at a rapid pace. Over on airliners.net there are a lot of people railing against them and seem giddy at the thought of their collapse.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:48 PM   #3677
tysmith95

Quote:
We'll have to wait and see what becomes of this airline, they've been expanding at a rapid pace. Over on airliners.net there are a lot of people railing against them and seem giddy at the thought of their collapse.
Cause many of them work for the big US Airlines and aren't happy about Norwegians labour policies. The unions and the big US Airlines tried to block Norwegian (specifically the Irish subsidiary) from entering the US market.

Personally as a customer not employed by any airline I want to see them succeed. More competition is good for customers.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:18 PM   #3678
mass88

Quote:
Cause many of them work for the big US Airlines and aren't happy about Norwegians labour policies. The unions and the big US Airlines tried to block Norwegian (specifically the Irish subsidiary) from entering the US market.

Personally as a customer not employed by any airline I want to see them succeed. More competition is good for customers.
The labor angle certainly is a factor. I always an amazed (not in a good way) and humored at how worked up people get over different airlines, airports, routes, etc. over in airliners.net.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:27 AM   #3679
adamh8297

Quote:
The labor angle certainly is a factor. I always an amazed (not in a good way) and humored at how worked up people get over different airlines, airports, routes, etc. over in airliners.net.
Especially a certain airport that was a former Northwest hub. The threads are insane - at least the Boston thread uses logic and critical thinking.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #3680
Lrfox

Quote:
Who thought yellow was a good idea for a graphic? Can't see Bergin, Rome and Dublin.

They take a beating to the big Scandinavian cities.

They do a decent cargo business too (Like, apparently, Icelandair) which probably offsets some lower loads to certain markets and factors into their route selection.

I've flown them a few times out of Boston. Frankly, I think their Premium economy is one of the best values in the sky. For not all that much more than a standard economy ticket on a mainline carrier like BA, Delta, Virgin, etc. You can have a 19 inch wide seat with 47 inches of pitch, leg/foot rest, and serious recline and great IFE on the Dreamliner. You also get priority access, lounge access in BOS and LGW, and priority boarding/deplaning. Service and food are comparable to economy products on those other carriers (with free booze), but the hard product alone (well, and the lounge access and expedited security) make it worth the difference on most trips. Especially when I want to sleep on the Eastbound leg.

So I want them to succeed, though I'm hesitant to fly their narrow bodies across the ocean.