archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #3581
Cobean

Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post
Two items for discussion.

JetBlue will launch 3 daily A320 Boston-Minneapolis on May 3rd. No press release yet but its bookable.

LATAM Brasil (formed from the merger of LAN Chile and TAM) has leaked out an intention to fly Sao Paulo-Boston. Stay tuned.

http://www.mercadoeeventos.com.br/no...oston-em-2018/
Long overdue on the Brazil development. I have to fly through Newark for my trip in November. But great news for future travel.
Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:00 PM   #3582
jass

Theres some folks here who need to put their bibs on because the crow has come home to roost
jass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #3583
mass88

What Massport has done in the last 5-6 years is pretty remarkable and it has really transformed Logan into a true global airport.

Tokyo Narita - year round
Vancouver - seasonal
Mexico City - year round service returns
Panama City - year round
Bogota - year round
Hong Kong - year round
Shanghai - year round
Beijing - year round
London Gatwick - year round service returns
Istanbul - year round
Doha - year round
Dubai - year round
Lisbon - year round service returns
Copenhagen - year round
Oslo - seasonal
Tel Aviv - year round service returns
Toronto Billy Bishop - year round
Manchester UK - seasonal service returns
Sao Paulo - new service to start in 2018
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:00 AM   #3584
Arlington

^ how much of the credit actually belongs to the Boeing 787 and the low cost of fuel and not Massport?

It seems to me that it was Boeing's vision for a world of nonstop flights in long and thin markets that has driven change in Boston, either directly through new 787 service or indirectly from competitive responses from carriers with less appropriate aircraft but access to cheap jet fuel.

We will get another bump when A380 services ramp, but the big lift seems over--driven by the 787s vision of a breakthrough in long range flight that could use existing facilities.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:08 AM   #3585
bigpicture7

^ I think there's been some of both.

Definitely a paradigm shift overtook the entire aircraft and airline industries: instead of pronounced hub-spoke systems dependent on enormous 747s connecting hubs, latest generation technology much more practically supports origin-destination networking. (btw, an analogous thing happened with domestic networks whereby the Embraer e-jets allowed O-D routes that never would have happened before)

I agree with Arlington that the above shift was prerequisite - no matter how hard Massport tried, they could not make that list of destinations happen without the new aircraft designs. I remember in the 1990s Korean Air wanted to fly Boston-Soeul w/ 747s, and it just wasn't going to happen....fully loaded/fueled/cargoed 747s couldn't make it there off of Boston's 10k-ft runways (e.g., as compared to JFK's 14k's).

But that said, we know there was tremendous outreach efforts going on in parallel w/ the launch of new aircraft designs.

I'd summarize as follows: the opportunity appeared (e.g., based on the new aircraft), and massport recognized it and launched a full-court press to seize the opportunity. There was enough proactivity going on to ensure Boston was among the first to capitalize on the new aircraft.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #3586
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
I'd summarize as follows: the opportunity appeared (e.g., based on the new aircraft), and massport recognized it and launched a full-court press to seize the opportunity. There was enough proactivity going on to ensure Boston was among the first to capitalize on the new aircraft.
Agreed. An agency/administration(s) that didn't seize this opportunity would have wasted it.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:35 AM   #3587
Jouhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
^ how much of the credit actually belongs to the Boeing 787 and the low cost of fuel and not Massport?

It seems to me that it was Boeing's vision for a world of nonstop flights in long and thin markets that has driven change in Boston, either directly through new 787 service or indirectly from competitive responses from carriers with less appropriate aircraft but access to cheap jet fuel.

We will get another bump when A380 services ramp, but the big lift seems over--driven by the 787s vision of a breakthrough in long range flight that could use existing facilities.
That and jetblue using Boston as a focus city and their willingness to buddy up with foreign carriers for codeshares.
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 12:18 PM   #3588
mass88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
^ I think there's been some of both.

Definitely a paradigm shift overtook the entire aircraft and airline industries: instead of pronounced hub-spoke systems dependent on enormous 747s connecting hubs, latest generation technology much more practically supports origin-destination networking. (btw, an analogous thing happened with domestic networks whereby the Embraer e-jets allowed O-D routes that never would have happened before)

I agree with Arlington that the above shift was prerequisite - no matter how hard Massport tried, they could not make that list of destinations happen without the new aircraft designs. I remember in the 1990s Korean Air wanted to fly Boston-Soeul w/ 747s, and it just wasn't going to happen....fully loaded/fueled/cargoed 747s couldn't make it there off of Boston's 10k-ft runways (e.g., as compared to JFK's 14k's).

But that said, we know there was tremendous outreach efforts going on in parallel w/ the launch of new aircraft designs.

Well said and I agree on all points.

Now, if Massport can get the Terminal E expansion going things will really get interesting at Logan.
Old 10-18-2017, 12:19 PM   #3589
FenwayResident

While all of the above points are valid, it's also important to give credit to Boston's economic boom. I think we would have seen a couple of these flights happen even if the 787 didn't exist. A deeper pool of high-yield customers always helps regardless of the aircraft available or incentives given.
FenwayResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #3590
BosDevelop

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayResident View Post
While all of the above points are valid, it's also important to give credit to Boston's economic boom. I think we would have seen a couple of these flights happen even if the 787 didn't exist. A deeper pool of high-yield customers always helps regardless of the aircraft available or incentives given.
I also think all of the colleges and universities helped at least a bit initially with the post 9/11 increase in international non-stop travel to and from Logan.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:11 PM   #3591
atlantaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
Now, if Massport can get the Terminal E expansion going things will really get interesting at Logan.
Massport seems to be timid when it comes to large scale expansion projects, they seem to be more comfortable with smaller scale projects though I have to say, lately, the smaller scale projects that have come on line have been very, very nice.
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 06:17 PM   #3592
Lrfox

Thoughts on Delta’s future in Boston with the new Bombardier C-series? It’s the next gen regional jet designed to fly “long, thin” routes. Routes where there is demand, but they are traditionally too long for a regional jet with too few passengers to justify a larger plane. This seems to be a good fit for a lot of borderline routes out of Boston. This could potentially do for domestic routes what the 787 has done for Boston with long haul routes. What’s more is that it could encourage Delta (or partners) to establish more long haul operations here.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #3593
mass88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Thoughts on Delta’s future in Boston with the new Bombardier C-series? It’s the next gen regional jet designed to fly “long, thin” routes. Routes where there is demand, but they are traditionally too long for a regional jet with too few passengers to justify a larger plane. This seems to be a good fit for a lot of borderline routes out of Boston. This could potentially do for domestic routes what the 787 has done for Boston with long haul routes. What’s more is that it could encourage Delta (or partners) to establish more long haul operations here.
We'll have to wait and see until next year what Delta's long term plans are for Boston. Once they get the 5 mainline Southwest gates they should be adding services.

The only glaring Sky Team partner that does not serve Boston if Korean Air - people on various forums, namely airliners.net, feel it's only a matter of time before they re-launch Boston service. Massport also needs to get the project in Terminal E done as well.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:18 PM   #3594
tysmith95

I think the C series will just replace the MD80, MD90, and 717 on routes as Delta retires those planes.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #3595
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
We'll have to wait and see until next year what Delta's long term plans are for Boston. Once they get the 5 mainline Southwest gates they should be adding services.

The only glaring Sky Team partner that does not serve Boston if Korean Air - people on various forums, namely airliners.net, feel it's only a matter of time before they re-launch Boston service. Massport also needs to get the project in Terminal E done as well.
Agreed. I'd love to see Korean, and like others, I'm shocked they're not here yet. I'm interested to see what Delta does here in the near future though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I think the C series will just replace the MD80, MD90, and 717 on routes as Delta retires those planes.
Right, but it wouldn't be prudent to just swap equipment without acknowledging the different capabilities of the new aircraft. The C-Series is a more fuel efficient aircraft with a significantly longer ranger than those three which should definitely open some doors. It's comparable in size to the 717 with a 30%+ longer range. It's smaller than the MD-80/90 and still has a significantly longer range than either of those aircraft (and is still far more efficient). Delta may choose to just swap it and use it on the same routes, but the added range and lower fuel costs could change the feasibility status for certain un/under-served routes. Maybe potential for San Antonio, Albuquerque, Omaha, Calgary, Winnipeg, etc. I think places that were borderline in terms of O&D numbers would become feasible with this aircraft. Especially if there's also an effort to expand long-haul operations in conjunction (meaning increased transfers at BOS as well).

Last edited by Lrfox; 11-08-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #3596
Lrfox

I'm seeing Primera Air advertising all over the internet. Flights in May are now bookable (seeing +/- $300 or so for the most basic fares to/from London Stanstead).

Old 11-14-2017, 11:04 AM   #3597
jass

How is the AeroMexico route doing?

My dad was on it the other day and he says the flight was less than 40% full. Had a row to himself.
jass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:07 PM   #3598
greenline

LATAM to Brazil is now bookable effective JULY 1

JJ8164 - GRU 23:55 - 09:10 BOS 763 Sun,Tue,Wed,Fri
JJ8165 - BOS 18:05 - 05:25 GRU 763 Mon,Wed,Thu,Sat
greenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #3599
adamh8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenline View Post
LATAM to Brazil is now bookable effective JULY 1

JJ8164 - GRU 23:55 - 09:10 BOS 763 Sun,Tue,Wed,Fri
JJ8165 - BOS 18:05 - 05:25 GRU 763 Mon,Wed,Thu,Sat

Good connections to other parts of Brazil - I checked Rio/Belo Horizonte/Porto Alegre/Recife/Florianopolis

One needs to choose Buenos Aires Aeroparque Airport instead of Ezeiza to get better connections to there. That airport is closer to city center.
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:48 AM   #3600
tysmith95

So frontier airlines just ordered 134 aircraft which will more then double their fleet over the next 10 years.

When will they come to BOS, or MHT/PVD.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote