archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:15 PM   #1041
Arlington

Re: North-South Rail Link

If you think NSRL should be "worked on" between now and 2040, please submit this as a comment to the Mass State Rail Plan 2018, which is now taking comments.

Attn: Jennifer Slesinger - State Rail Plan
Massachusetts Department of Transportation
10 Park Plaza, Suite 4150
Boston, Ma 02116

or

Email: Planning@dot.state.ma.us

Visit the site: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/rail-plan
Read the draft plan: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...8PubComm_1.pdf

Last edited by Arlington; 02-08-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #1042
DominusNovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
...and if you squint you can see Brophy Park on Jeffries Point in Eastie
I’m more intrigued by the two dozen or so households living on the Logan runways...
Old 02-08-2018, 04:48 PM   #1043
dwash59

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
And also it's interesting that they only included Boston numbers but half of their dotted map includes locations outside of Boston. I'd say that income inequality is worse if you only look inside of Boston boarders then it would be if you included the inner suburbs. Boston itself includes both the richest (Beacon Hill, Back Bay) and the poorest (Roxbury, Mattapan, etc) parts of the region. It doesn't include places like Malden, Medford, Quincy, Watertown, etc that are mostly middle class.
Just to add to this, the Brookings data shows that the metro area inequality ratio is 10.5 rather than 17.8 for just the city. And we become ranked 6th instead of first.
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:33 AM   #1044
Joel N. Weber II

In looking at an article discussing the Senate Launch System and Clipper, I found myself thinking that these space exploration projects probably cost in the ballpark of what the NSRL would. Asking either/or is probably wrong because we could probably both build NSRL and explore Europa (although I don't think we should keep funding SLS), but at the same time, it seems like if we're only going to have one, NSRL would be more useful than Europa exploration.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 AM   #1045
RandomWalk

“Senate” Launch System? Very nice Freudian slip.
RandomWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:35 PM   #1046
Joel N. Weber II

People were calling it the Senate Launch System in 2011 http://www.competitivespace.org/issu...launch-system/ https://www.huffingtonpost.com/rick-..._b_843607.html
Old 04-24-2018, 09:15 AM   #1047
tangent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel N. Weber II View Post
In looking at an article discussing the Senate Launch System and Clipper, I found myself thinking that these space exploration projects probably cost in the ballpark of what the NSRL would. Asking either/or is probably wrong because we could probably both build NSRL and explore Europa (although I don't think we should keep funding SLS), but at the same time, it seems like if we're only going to have one, NSRL would be more useful than Europa exploration.
Well, the Federal budget is mostly fake money... ie invented money borrowed from the Federal Reserve with any profit made by the Federal Reserve on interest legally required to go back to taxpayers... So borrow away and stop being stingy on projects that would actually build infrastructure that will improve people's lives. State governments actually have to tax people and balance budgets, so the state matching money is the real issue.

The downsides to Federal borrowing for stupid spending is the potential for inflation, asset bubbles, and a general shift in power from individuals being able to save and cobble together capital for local investment to all the economic power being in the big banks and investment firms that are hooked into the Federal Reserve System and more geographically focused on just the big cities. The Federal Reserve System is the real "trickle down" economic system.
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:29 AM   #1048
Shepard

^ Very intelligent post.

So long as the Fed is doing its job of not allowing the US currency to be devalued, and so long as the dollar remains a major world reserve currency, then yes - money can and should be "created" for value-added projects like these. Reaganist mantra of 'government bloat' and 'no-can-do' and 'we can't afford anything' are what's really taken a toll on this country.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #1049
tysmith95

I think the fed should wait until the next recession to launch a big infrastructure initiative on the national level. Deficit spending during good economic times is not wise, but it makes sense during poor economic times.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #1050
Joel N. Weber II

From about the 28 minute to 30 minute mark, this video argues that the thing people often call the federal debt would be better thought of as national savings that happens to be invested in treasury bonds.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:23 AM   #1051
Joel N. Weber II

I'm not sure if we really have a good thorough understanding of where inflation actually becomes a problem, but it seems that inflation may tend to be caused by resource shortages, and if that's the case, we ought to be investing in projects which will reduce the shortage of housing near high quality transit.