archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #801
scorpio02150

Re: Silver Line to Chelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnstonb View Post
Hey there. I live in Chelsea so I'm looking forward to the silver line. I just noticed the massport 77 takes an alternate route up 1A north (from what i can tell) when the bridge is up. Given that it stops at the eastern ave stop and follows a similar route as slg, who can I contact to request the slg use the same alternate route? It makes so much sense (if I'm right and that route exists), but I bet it hasn't been discussed
most smart people will head towards Rt1A from eastern ave.
Unfortunately, the MBTA (112) decides to wait until that god awful bridge goes up and down, which takes about 40 mins.
scorpio02150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #802
cybah

Quote:
Hey there. I live in Chelsea so I'm looking forward to the silver line. I just noticed the massport 77 takes an alternate route up 1A north (from what i can tell) when the bridge is up. Given that it stops at the eastern ave stop and follows a similar route as slg, who can I contact to request the slg use the same alternate route? It makes so much sense (if I'm right and that route exists), but I bet it hasn't been discussed
That actually is the bridge alternative route for the SLG/SL3 when the bridge goes up

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio02150 View Post
most smart people will head towards Rt1A from eastern ave.
Unfortunately, the MBTA (112) decides to wait until that god awful bridge goes up and down, which takes about 40 mins.
Boy people like to exaggerate this.. I ride the 112 every day, and its 18-22 minutes each and every time from up to down. Don't believe me, check out bridges twitter account and see how long.
cybah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #803
djohnstonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybah View Post
That actually is the bridge alternative route for the SLG/SL3 when the bridge goes up
That's great to hear! On an unrelated note, have there ever been discussions about adding on-street stops to the 77 or any of the massport chelsea - logan routes? If they dropped at Curtis St before turning onto 1A, for example, that could enable people to walk to Wood Island.
djohnstonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:12 PM   #804
datadyne007

Quote:
That's great to hear! On an unrelated note, have there ever been discussions about adding on-street stops to the 77 or any of the massport chelsea - logan routes? If they dropped at Curtis St before turning onto 1A, for example, that could enable people to walk to Wood Island.
The 77 is solely to get employees to and from the airport/employee garage. Massport has no interest or stake in connecting people to the Blue Line.
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #805
CSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
Massport has no interest or stake in connecting people to the Blue Line.
...unless some of those people are....airport employees?
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM   #806
djohnstonb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
Right. Massport does have an interest/stake in connecting people to the Blue line - that's why many Massport lines stop at the Blue line. The fact that the 77 has an arbitrary designation doesn't mean it can't be reviewed as an exercise in improving overall regional transit. Given its what, 2 minute headway, there's a lot that it could offer if its scope changed.
djohnstonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM   #807
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
Quote:
Right. Massport does have an interest/stake in connecting people to the Blue line - that's why many Massport lines stop at the Blue line. The fact that the 77 has an arbitrary designation doesn't mean it can't be reviewed as an exercise in improving overall regional transit. Given its what, 2 minute headway, there's a lot that it could offer if its scope changed.
If the airport employees were going to the BL, they wouldn't be using the 77 in the first place and rather just a regular terminal circulator bus. The 77's purpose is to get employees to and from the employee garage which is all the way in Chelsea.

And we're not even talking about connecting the 77 to the BL. We're saying it should stop at a random corner with the prospect that someone may want to walk to Wood Island.
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote