archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > Board Issues and Announcements

Board Issues and Announcements Member feedback, board announcements, and any tech issues. Please check regularly.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
Lrfox

Posts being deleted?

I had two posts in the "Biking in Boston" thread disappear over the past few days. Both contained an image hosted on Imgur (which I just started using as a result of photobucket going rogue). The image was pretty basic (the new bike counter on Causeway/Merrimack), and the posts were hardly offensive, so if it's not a technical thing, I'm not sure why they would have been taken down by moderators (usually the moderators let you know why). Anyone else experiencing this?
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
vanshnookenraggen

Re: Posts being deleted?

I've stated many times that images posted that are too large will be deleted. This is a very image heavy website and over sized images slow things down. Keep pictures around monitor size, ie 1600x1000 or around there. Image hosting sites will allow you to resize your images.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #3
datadyne007

Remember in the case of Imgur, you can simply add h at the end of the image link to automatically resize it to a compliant size...

ie: h4Y294qm.jpg --> h4Y294qmh.jpg

Last edited by datadyne007; 07-17-2017 at 05:36 PM.
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Lrfox

^good to know. It's literally my first image on Imgur, so I'm not used to it yet. I'll try the "h" thing.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
^good to know. It's literally my first image on Imgur, so I'm not used to it yet. I'll try the "h" thing.
Imgur will do it automatically for a group of images you are generating links for:

http://www.archboston.org/community/...4&postcount=43

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
You can do it manually like that or let Imgur actually append the suffix on for you in the size dropdown in the generate image links window. Helpful when you have multiple images.

Note: This feature does have a bug where if you select a thumbnail size and then go back to "original" it will append "null" instead of just nothing.
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:58 PM   #6
DZH22

Use flickr for a FREE TERABYTE and the option to post at various sizes. I can't believe I paid photobucket for so long but recently kicked them to the curb in favor of flickr and I couldn't be happier.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
Justin7

If you use flickr, be sure to prepare for your next monthly Yahoo! security breach!
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
Nexis4jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
If you use flickr, be sure to prepare for your next monthly Yahoo! security breach!
Verizon bought them , but recently they had a leak aswell.. But I moved to Smugmug last year and plan on shutting down my Flickr soon. Smugmug ticks all my boxes , and they have great customer service even at 2am.. My only complaint is that they don't have SSL for custom URLs , but that seems to be the case with most web services aside from Independent sites...
Nexis4jersey is offline   Reply With Quote