archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
ablarc

Gropius House, Lincoln

GROPIUS HOUSE, Lincoln, Mass.

A beautiful house said to be designed by Marcel Breuer.

Though he was Dean at Harvard?s Graduate School of Design, Gropius wasn?t much with a pencil.

He made sure he always had a partner with design talent.

His first partner was Adolf Meyer, who designed the Bauhaus and established Gropius? reputation.

Breuer was even more talented. He?s noted for his chairs and later Brutalist architecture.

Arguably Breuer?s best known work: the Whitney Museum, New York.

Arguably Gropius? best known American building: Pan Am (now MetLife) Building, Park Avenue, New York, probably by Pietro Belluschi.

Gropius? best known Boston Building: JFK Federal Building, Government Center.

He lived a successful and bucolic life.

ablarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
Beton Brut

Thanks for posting these ablarc...Though I'm not really a fan of Gropius, I've always wanted to to go out and visit this house...Its austere serenity presages the L.A. work of Neutra, Soriano and Frey (all better architects than Gropius)...I understand that the interior is interesting, with a German Expressionist vibe (i.e. the light fixture over the dining table illuminates only the table's surface, but not the faces of those seated at the table)...

Though I agree that he was a lazy fraud as an architect, Gropius was a pretty good educator -- Paul Rudolph studied with him, and Rudolph went on to teach the likes of Norman Foster and Robert A.M. Stern...Ironically, Rudolph was an astonishingly good draftsman...

It's a shame that Breuer and Belluschi are only know for buildings that most people dislike...Breuer designed some wonderful homes, and Belluschi's churches on the West Coast are beautiful, inspiring spaces...
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
ezcheese

they did a quick walk-through of the gropius house on the last season of this old house. they showed parts of the interior as well. my favorite feature was the little deck off of the daughter's room.
ezcheese is offline   Reply With Quote