archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-24-2017, 03:29 PM   #381
Scipio
Senior Member
 
Scipio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 482
Re: Casey Overpass

Some of the other parkway projects connected to the Arborway aren't making much progress: http://jamaicaplaingazette.com/2017/...rkway-project/
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:08 PM   #382
clayville
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jamaica Plain
Posts: 57
Re: Casey Overpass

It's a very frustrating situation for many locals concerned about ongoing safety issues in the Jamaica Pond-to-Forest Hills corridor, Centre street from the VFW Parkway back to the Murray Circle Rotary and the Parkman Drive/Perkins intersection where a seemingly simple crosswalk has been long sought.

DCR held well-attended public meetings on all three topics in October 2015, promising updates by Spring of 2016. A year later the meeting reported above is all we have despite calls for more from residents, state reps and various stakeholder groups. Roy and the DCR certainly don't seem to be treating the matter with the same urgency as the locals.

I probably posted this upstream here (or maybe in the Bike Infra area) but here's the write-up I did about the October 2015 meeting:
Improving Multi-modal Safety and Access in the Emerald necklace Parkways

And just yesterday Peter Furth did an on camera walkthrough of some of the Worst Intersectiions in Boston on NBC Boston touching on the Jamaicaway at 3:20.
Furth on TV, Jamaicaway discussed at 3:20
clayville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #383
sm89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somerville
Posts: 836
Re: Casey Overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayville View Post
And just yesterday Peter Furth did an on camera walkthrough of some of the Worst Intersectiions in Boston on NBC Boston touching on the Jamaicaway at 3:20.
Furth on TV, Jamaicaway discussed at 3:20
But he didn't mention the most glaring issue there! There are no pedestrian signals across Bynner and Willow Pond (the path). There are only signals for crossing the Jway. Why?!
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:34 PM   #384
clayville
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jamaica Plain
Posts: 57
Re: Casey Overpass

That intersection is bizarre/dangerous in several ways. Southbound vehicles have a longer green light (with no warning signage), so when northbound cars turning left get hung up in the intersection at the light change and assume oncoming cars are going to stop on the same sequence... and then turn left anyway.... BOOM!
clayville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 02:42 PM   #385
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,411
Re: Casey Overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayville View Post
That intersection is bizarre/dangerous in several ways. Southbound vehicles have a longer green light (with no warning signage), so when northbound cars turning left get hung up in the intersection at the light change and assume oncoming cars are going to stop on the same sequence... and then turn left anyway.... BOOM!
Theres an MUTCD sign for that
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #386
Scalziand
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Worcester, MA
Posts: 461
Re: Casey Overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Theres an MUTCD sign for that
__________________
Shadows no longer exist. They will henceforth be known as shade.
Scalziand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #387
clayville
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Jamaica Plain
Posts: 57
Re: Casey Overpass

This project is finally entering its last few months of major construction. There is still work to be done on the new northern plaza and head house, the new upper busway is not yet operational (though the roof has been raised), and the station-side plaza has not *quite* been returned to the public. But the expectation is that those parts of the central project area will be done by the end of 2018. The eastern and western ends have been done for a while. There will also be some spillover landscape plantings in the spring of 2019, mainly in the northern plaza I believe.

Anyone who isn't local or who hasn't lived with all this daily for years now may be interested in my photos of the project progress, offered here in reverse-chronological order (I walk through the project area two or three times a week trying to spot the changes, an obsession drawing to a close).

Casey Arborway construction on Flickr
clayville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:12 PM   #388
vanshnookenraggen
Moderator
 
vanshnookenraggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 6,260
Re: Casey Overpass

Great pictures! I don't even recognize the place.
__________________
http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com | http://futurembta.com | http://hyperrealcartography.tumblr.com
brivx: well, my philosophy is: as designers, we make a good theater, we dont direct the play
vanshnookenraggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #389
FK4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,314
Re: Casey Overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayville View Post
This project is finally entering its last few months of major construction. There is still work to be done on the new northern plaza and head house, the new upper busway is not yet operational (though the roof has been raised), and the station-side plaza has not *quite* been returned to the public. But the expectation is that those parts of the central project area will be done by the end of 2018. The eastern and western ends have been done for a while. There will also be some spillover landscape plantings in the spring of 2019, mainly in the northern plaza I believe.

Anyone who isn't local or who hasn't lived with all this daily for years now may be interested in my photos of the project progress, offered here in reverse-chronological order (I walk through the project area two or three times a week trying to spot the changes, an obsession drawing to a close).

Casey Arborway construction on Flickr
Great pics. Wow, you haven't been on in a while...

I made the move from JP to Roslindale a few months ago. It's been cool to see this project happen, and I feel like it's really started to look finished in the last several weeks...
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bowker Overpass replacement? kz1000ps Transit and Infrastructure 432 08-08-2014 07:40 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.