archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > General

General Misc. topics.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:24 PM   #3641
statler

Re: Open Thread

Quote:
91-year-old James Carr, a lifelong resident of Boston’s Charlestown neighborhood, takes one last ride on the Charlestown Elevated before its demolition in 1975
Source
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #3642
kz1000ps

Anybody have experience dealing with someone slipping into paranoid schizophrenia? An old friend who I've been out of contact with for some time had what appeared to be a near-total meltdown (on Facebook no less) late last night and I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice. I've been googling around on what to say/what not say as I reach out to him for the first time in years and I'd appreciate any and all help I can get. Time is very much of the essence although I fear it may already be too late.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #3643
fattony

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
Anybody have experience dealing with someone slipping into paranoid schizophrenia? An old friend who I've been out of contact with for some time had what appeared to be a near-total meltdown (on Facebook no less) late last night and I'm wondering if anyone can offer any advice. I've been googling around on what to say/what not say as I reach out to him for the first time in years and I'd appreciate any and all help I can get. Time is very much of the essence although I fear it may already be too late.
If you have fallen out of touch, the best idea might be to contact someone closer to him (his family? a more current friend?) and share your concerns with them first. They might know a lot more than you about what is is going on with him and they might stop you from saying or doing the wrong thing that might make things worse. If they think it is a good idea for you to reach out, then you do.

Good luck.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #3644
CSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
If you have fallen out of touch, the best idea might be to contact someone closer to him (his family? a more current friend?) and share your concerns with them first.
I'll second that.

Definitely don't try to show them that what they imagine is not consistent with reality. Just find a way to get them some supervision in the short term, and some help for the long term.

Their family members are a good place to start - even if it means 'cold calling' a parent or sibling. And it may not be easy to get the family / loved one to admit to themselves that what's happening is more than just "him being his kooky self again". Bring some evidence and present it even-handedly.

...And then give the family the opportunity to handle it in privacy, if thats what they wish...
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #3645
kz1000ps

Well the situation is made complicated by the fact that his family kicked him out about 10 years ago. Him and I have gotten back in touch a bit in the past week and I know he sees me as a friend not foe, so I may have misspoken when I said "reach out for the first time in years"; the line of communication is already somewhat open, but only in the form of a few "how ya doing buddy?" exchanges on Facebook this last week.

Also, if he does call me I have no intention of bringing up schizophrenia or anything of the sort; I just want to give him someone to talk to because he's been leading a very lonely life for some time now and I know he could use someone to just vent to, even if it means venting delusional stuff. Frankly, I just want to hear his voice and give him the sense he's not alone.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:47 PM   #3646
datadyne007

Quote:
Well the situation is made complicated by the fact that his family kicked him out about 10 years ago. Him and I have gotten back in touch a bit in the past week and I know he sees me as a friend not foe, so I may have misspoken when I said "reach out for the first time in years"; the line of communication is already somewhat open, but only in the form of a few "how ya doing buddy?" exchanges on Facebook this last week.

Also, if he does call me I have no intention of bringing up schizophrenia or anything of the sort; I just want to give him someone to talk to because he's been leading a very lonely life for some time now and I know he could use someone to just vent to, even if it means venting delusional stuff. Frankly, I just want to hear his voice and give him the sense he's not alone.
Then why not initiate one of those "how ya doing buddy" conversations now and then lead into (very very gently and with careful phrasing) some of the larger issues you've identified based on the way he responds to the how are you prompt. "How come you feel that way?"

Why did it never get past "how ya doing buddy?" the previous times?
Old 08-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #3647
kz1000ps

Because up until 2 am last night I didn't know anything of this paranoia of his. He's always been a little off but I never had cause to suspect something much more serious until I go to Facebook and see he's written a dozen posts in the last 35 minutes talking about incredibly serious stuff. All the sudden there I am at 3 am glued to my screen waiting for and fearing every new post.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:54 PM   #3648
datadyne007

Quote:
Because up until 2 am last night I didn't know anything of this paranoia of his. He's always been a little off but I never had cause to suspect something much more serious until I go to Facebook and see he's written a dozen posts in the last 35 minutes talking about incredibly serious stuff. All the sudden there I am at 3 am glued to my screen waiting for and fearing every new post.
Then it's time for another "how are you" chat that goes further this time.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #3649
kz1000ps

Yes, we have a FB message chat going as I type this...
Old 08-30-2014, 12:03 AM   #3650
Downburst

The very briefest of Boston Minecraft updates...

Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #3651
Justin7

Quote:
Yes, we have a FB message chat going as I type this...
Hope that turned out all right. If you literally mean paranoid schizophrenia than there's a good chance he is off his meds and needs to get back on them or see someone to reevaluate what he is taking.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #3652
kz1000ps

I kept a chat going with him for almost 48 hours... you know, writing back and forth every hour or two, and he was totally fine. So I haven't pursued anything any further, and I guess it's just a matter of checking in every so often and hoping for the best. And just knowing his lifestyle I doubt he's been taking any meds, which is probably a big part of the problem. But again I don't know for sure.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #3653
Nexis4jersey

Does he have violent tendencies?
Nexis4jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #3654
kz1000ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4jersey View Post
Does he have violent tendencies?
Well, I'll put it this way: he's the kind that wouldn't harm a fly or another person, but for as long as I've known him he's been a risk to himself, not in the form of violent/suicidal tendencies but just general self-defeating actions. he's been scraping by at the bottom of the socio-economic barrel for a solid 10 years now and doesn't surround himself with the best of people; one or two missteps on his part and he'll be homeless (he actually just got kicked out of his former living situation and didn't have a home for a couple of days--no idea how or why) and with a medical condition that isn't being treated, in which case he'll end up being just another one of those crazy street hobos that nobody cares about. I'm truly scared that will be his fate.

And as a sort of update, he just apologized yesterday on Facebook for some of the things he's written, so at least he understands he was saying some crazy shit:

I doubt there's truly a new beginning underway, but we'll see. I'm continuing to chat with him and trying to be a constant positive presence in his life.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #3655
statler

From the Onion's Best Cities for Millennials:

Quote:
4. BOSTON

Dialect: Shouting

City Nickname: [unintelligible]

Open Coxswain Positions: 78,000

Cultural Heritage: Exaggeratedly Irish

Number Of People Currently On Candlepin Bowling First Dates: 800,000

Days It Takes To Do It All: 2.73

Popular Interests: New York
Old 09-17-2014, 06:52 AM   #3656
cozzyd

I'm trying to figure out what town is depicted in #5 .

EDIT: apparently it's Montpelier, VT (http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-1853...l=77643-108110 )
cozzyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:45 PM   #3657
kmp1284

Anyone hear any talk of who might be on a shortlist for MFA director?
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #3658
JohnAKeith

No.
JohnAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:20 PM   #3659
statler

Stupid question.

What was on the lot where the Edward W. Brooke Courthouse now sits prior to it's construction? I am trying to find photo of the area, but coming up blank.
Was it parking lots between the razing of the West End and the construction, or did some old West End buildings survive on that lot until the courthouse was built?
Old 09-29-2014, 10:32 PM   #3660
commuter guy

I arrived here in 1993 and it was a gravel parking lot surrounded by chain link fence until the courthouse was built. An interesting side note about the lot, when the grateful dead was in town, the dead heads, took over the lot and made it into an urban campground.
commuter guy is offline   Reply With Quote