archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:23 AM   #1041
Tallguy

Re: I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

There is a difference between bad geometry and bad planning. Yes, we can expect better than that. We should expect better than that. We must demand better than that.
And still, the Harvard Line will need SOME way of crossing the Mass Pike. Providing for that now is the only sane thing to do. But we are dealing with people who think that GJs future is CR, not GL. That is physically and politically impossible. It has already been studied. Can't do it without, to paraphrase F Line, a mega-carpocalypse!
Tallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:14 AM   #1042
jklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallguy View Post
But we are dealing with people who think that GJs future is CR, not GL. That is physically and politically impossible.
I don't know you can say that. It's being used by the Commuter Rail now as it is, and you could even run service up there with no modifications, although it wouldn't make sense without a Kendall platform.

I'd actually be worried that Cambridge will use this opportunity to completely dismantle the Junction since you would be talking about 10+ years out of service. I think they would prefer it to be a walking trail.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:53 AM   #1043
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklo View Post
I don't know you can say that. It's being used by the Commuter Rail now as it is, and you could even run service up there with no modifications, although it wouldn't make sense without a Kendall platform.

I'd actually be worried that Cambridge will use this opportunity to completely dismantle the Junction since you would be talking about 10+ years out of service. I think they would prefer it to be a walking trail.
Fortunately for the GJ, the City of Cambridge cannot dismantle it, as it does not own it.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #1044
sm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Fortunately for the GJ, the City of Cambridge cannot dismantle it, as it does not own it.
The City is also designing the Grand Junction path enough room for two tracks for whenever the MBTA is ready to build them.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #1045
Tallguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
The City is also designing the Grand Junction path enough room for two tracks for whenever the MBTA is ready to build them.
Two tracks of LRT. There are several major roadways crossing at grade, including Mass Ave. The occasional
equipment move that goes on now leaves a path of traffic destruction behind it. You just can't do it 4-5x ph every day. And you can't build viaducts over/under because of tight building clearances. LRT is more agile and can climb a much higher grade, making bridge approaches more possible. In the places where you can't eliminate the grade, LRT leaves a much, much smaller footprint on traffic. And the MBTA knows it. Look at the Tim Murray effort a few years ago. GL or BRT are the only possible future for GJ
Old 05-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #1046
Tallguy

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewt...t=285#p1455607
Here is a link to some discussion on the subject on "that other forum"
Old 05-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #1047
jklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
I remember hearing that, but I'm looking at the satellite imagery on Google Maps and that isn't realistic at all. Even two tracks with no path would be a tight fit.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 06:58 PM   #1048
sm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklo View Post
I remember hearing that, but I'm looking at the satellite imagery on Google Maps and that isn't realistic at all. Even two tracks with no path would be a tight fit.
It's not conjecture; the width is already being acquired. The path will be 10-14ft in width with 2ft shoulders on each side and room for two tracks. It's not shovel ready, but aside from the city-owned land, the only takings are MassDOT, MIT and Alexandria land, and the latter two have committed to making a deal as part of mitigation for their nearby construction projects.

https://www.cambridgema.gov/CDD/Proj...unctionPathway
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote