archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:05 PM   #3381
sm89

Re: Biking in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
Putting a bike lane on the MOS driveway was evaluated, and discarded:
(1) The grades are too steep to meet engineering standards
(2) The MOS doesn't want it there
(3) It doesn't go the full length of Charles River Dam Road
It's definitely a better end product to have it buffered/flex posted in the roadway for the sake of continuity and ease of use, but on the flip side, I know of no engineering standards related to the pitch of a bike lane, and the driveway isn't a driveway, it's actually a carriage road owned by DCR.

One of the big reasons why this won't effect vehicular traffic throughput is because it doesn't change the capacity (number of lanes) at any of the intersections. It just takes a lane in between. There is less queuing capacity in the general vicinity, but the same number of cars are making it through the intersections.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #3382
ceo

The plan for the replacement commuter rail drawbridges includes a bike/pedestrian crossing. Once that's built (whenever that actually happens), there will be an off-street connection from downtown Boston to North Point and the Somerville Community Path. In order to avoid the dam, yesterday I rode across the North Washington St Bridge and then over the North Bank Bridge to North Point Blvd and that was much nicer (even the NWSB, which has no bike lanes but the right lane is pretty wide).
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #3383
34f34f

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
34f34f, not all of what I was saying was directed at you. There was some other semi-inflammatory stuff by others I was referring to.

You obviously are pro-bike so I assumed you agree with all the other reasons to support bike infrastructure improvements (that was also directed at others, not you). We are basically on the same page. But, I do think it's important to be careful about citing evidence and studies... in many cases, there's no evidence even needed. This stretch needed bike safety, regardless of whether you are socio-culturally pro- or anti-bike. On the other hand, whatever your cultural/political leanings toward cars and highways is, this roadway is a critical connector not just for travelers between Cambridge and Boston, but also between many other points... so, if you're going from the Galleria to North Station, it's faster and more efficient by bike, but that ignores the fact that this road fulfills many purposes, specifically, that it's a key arterial (again, a fact that may or may not be palatable to one's personal bent). Arguments on whether a road is more efficient when used by cars or bikes has much more relevance when thinking about smaller stretches of local-use-only roads.
Sure thing—and thank you for the thoughtful response. It's important for all of us to keep multiple uses and different users in mind.
34f34f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:42 PM   #3384
millerm277

Found the actual 5/1/19 striping plan: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents..._roll_plan.pdf

And presentation: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...esentation.pdf

That resolves most of my concerns raised by the way the project was described in the article.

I do believe the outbound Land Blvd intersection may need to be tweaked with which lanes go where (perhaps a left + straight, rather than straight only for the 2nd lane), but I think the 4 lanes is workable.
millerm277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #3385
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
Found the actual 5/1/19 striping plan: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents..._roll_plan.pdf

And presentation: https://www.mass.gov/files/documents...esentation.pdf

That resolves most of my concerns raised by the way the project was described in the article.

I do believe the outbound Land Blvd intersection may need to be tweaked with which lanes go where (perhaps a left + straight, rather than straight only for the 2nd lane), but I think the 4 lanes is workable.
It doesn't look like it loses too much, which is a relief. It does look like the confusion problem remains at the Museum Way intersection, as the lanes shift but there aren't any dotted lines making sure drivers know this! (as an aside, there's a similar but even worse problem when entering Kenmore via Beacon Street, heading West)

Hopefully this tinker doesn't result in the traffic Armageddon that I was expecting before I viewed the diagram.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:10 PM   #3386
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shore View Post
It's that condescending attitude that only contributes to the animosity between bicyclists and motorists.
Nope, its the "fuck you Ive got mine" attitude of people who have access to 99% of the roadway network and throw a hissy fit at the idea of 1% being allocated to another use. Thats what creates animosity.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #3387
Arlington

I would like to see the painting and striping to include green paint in the bike lane including through (alongside) the cross-hatched boxes
Old 05-16-2019, 10:17 AM   #3388
ceo

Is there any push going on to build a cycletrack down the Rose Kennedy Greenway? The existing bike lanes on Atlantic Ave/Cross St are OK, but a cycletrack would make it much less hairy to get north-south along the corridor. (I use the Commercial St cycletrack around the North End, even though it's a detour, because it's so much more pleasant than fighting downtown traffic.)
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #3389
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo View Post
Is there any push going on to build a cycletrack down the Rose Kennedy Greenway? The existing bike lanes on Atlantic Ave/Cross St are OK, but a cycletrack would make it much less hairy to get north-south along the corridor. (I use the Commercial St cycletrack around the North End, even though it's a detour, because it's so much more pleasant than fighting downtown traffic.)
I doubt it... there isn't any space for it. Also, for the portion you are bypassing on Commercial Street, there isn't much "greenway" - it's all exit ramps and then developed lots. I usually ride, illegally, on the greenway itself... slowly.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #3390
HelloBostonHi

Quote:
I'd much rather see them limit traffic on Atlantic Ave/Cross St/Surface Rd, maybe a complete streets redesign of them. The noise and speeds of cars down those roads make the Greenway quite unpleasant to sit and relax in
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:39 AM   #3391
HenryAlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBostonHi View Post
I'd much rather see them limit traffic on Atlantic Ave/Cross St/Surface Rd, maybe a complete streets redesign of them. The noise and speeds of cars down those roads make the Greenway quite unpleasant to sit and relax in
Exactly. The Greenway serves a non transportation purpose. The roads on either side of it are over built, especially when you consider they are located directly above an Interstate Highway. Road diet on the surface, add a cycle track there, but leave the Greenway intact as is.
HenryAlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #3392
Arlington

I'd like to see a better bike tie-in between the Harborwalk and the Connect Historic Boston trail (perimeter of North End).
Old 05-17-2019, 02:39 PM   #3393
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Exactly. The Greenway serves a non transportation purpose. The roads on either side of it are over built, especially when you consider they are located directly above an Interstate Highway. Road diet on the surface, add a cycle track there, but leave the Greenway intact as is.
The surface roads are only overbuild in some sections. There are two conditions that completely slam the surface roads (and make it hard to lane drop):

Near where they feed the O'Neill Tunnel entrances/exits.

Where tour buses stop (park) effectively an informal lane drop.

Road dieting has to take into account these conditions.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:50 AM   #3394
stevebikes

Quote:
The originally-promised Connect Historic Boston cycle track was meant to be a figure eight, including Atlantic Ave:

stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote