archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 03-07-2017, 09:56 AM   #3361
BuilditDenser

Re: Logan Flight Additions

Providence is getting 2x weekly service to Bergen Oslo through october. Right now they are having a sweet intro deal for $89 each way. Norwegian is sure changing PVD!

This is a redeye flight taking off at 8:50 pm and landing at 10:05 AM.

I am also skeptical about range without reduce payload on the return flight. interesting to see how the Max will handle it

https://www.norwegian.com/NewRouteUSA-Bergen
BuilditDenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #3362
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilditDenser View Post
Providence is getting 2x weekly service to Bergen Oslo through october. Right now they are having a sweet intro deal for $89 each way. Norwegian is sure changing PVD!

This is a redeye flight taking off at 8:50 pm and landing at 10:05 AM.

I am also skeptical about range without reduce payload on the return flight. interesting to see how the Max will handle it

https://www.norwegian.com/NewRouteUSA-Bergen
SAS flies a 737-700 between CPH and BOS. The distance between Providence and Bergen is actually shorter. I'm guessing that they shouldn't have too much trouble.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #3363
Jouhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
SAS flies a 737-700 between CPH and BOS. The distance between Providence and Bergen is actually shorter. I'm guessing that they shouldn't have too much trouble.
That SAS flight is "reduced payload". However despite the airliners.net banter about whether this distance is too far, it seems to me the max8 will have just enough range to make it both east and west.
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:06 AM   #3364
adamh8297

Air Canada to launch Boston-Vancouver for summer season: June 23rd to September 4.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=1116
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 12:44 PM   #3365
LH421

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post
Air Canada to launch Boston-Vancouver for summer season: June 23rd to September 4.

Nice hopefully they can go yearround or have winter seasonal for us skiers.
LH421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:07 PM   #3366
LH421

jetBlue held their session today at the JP Morgan Aviation and Transports conference in New York:

Webcast: https://jpmorgan.metameetings.net/ev...general_signin

Deck: http://blueir.investproductions.com/...erence-pdf.pdf

Overall tone is positive, Mint has been a success and targeted growth at Logan will continue.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #3367
BosDevelop

Quote:

Very interesting. With summer flights they are obviously angling for the leisure traveler. Is there that much demand for summer travel to Vancouver? Alaskan cruises? I would think there would be just as much demand in the winter when you combine the skiers heading to Whistler (and the other superb newer BC resorts that are gaining in popularity) and regular winter business travelers.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:17 PM   #3368
millerm277

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosDevelop View Post
Very interesting. With summer flights they are obviously angling for the leisure traveler. Is there that much demand for summer travel to Vancouver? Alaskan cruises? I would think there would be just as much demand in the winter when you combine the skiers heading to Whistler (and the other superb newer BC resorts that are gaining in popularity) and regular winter business travelers.
Might be an equipment availability reason? Air Canada runs a lot of winter seasonal flights to warm places, they have to do something with those aircraft in the summer.

It's also worth noting that with exchange rates as they are at the moment, flying to Canada is pretty cheap for Americans. I recently was doing a bit of a road trip in the region, it was significantly cheaper to fly into Vancouver and rent a car there than to start it in Seattle.
millerm277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:28 AM   #3369
Jouhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LH421 View Post
jetBlue held their session today at the JP Morgan Aviation and Transports conference in New York:

Webcast: https://jpmorgan.metameetings.net/ev...general_signin

Deck: http://blueir.investproductions.com/...erence-pdf.pdf

Overall tone is positive, Mint has been a success and targeted growth at Logan will continue.
I'm cringing at their continued moves towards being like the big us3.

Also yay YVR finally. I think summer seasonal is because AC are not big risk takers and they want to see how it goes before committing.
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #3370
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
I'm cringing at their continued moves towards being like the big us3.

Also yay YVR finally. I think summer seasonal is because AC are not big risk takers and they want to see how it goes before committing.
I talked to an AC FA two weeks ago on a CPH-YYZ flight who said AC is close to making some big decisions on new routes and nixing old ones. We got on the topic because our a333 had over 100 empty seats (which is how I ended up in the bulkhead across from her) and she said the route had been trending that way for some time and she's expecting reduced frequencies soon. She said they're expecting delivery on a lot of new aircraft soon and routes will be changing quite a bit. I mean, take that with a grain of salt; but it was interesting. Hopefully it means markets like YVR, YWG, YYC and potentially others become potentially viable from BOS.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #3371
datadyne007

Lufthansa has begun A350 service to/from Boston <> Munich!

Lufthansa USA‏ @Lufthansa_USA

Our second #LHA350 arrived at @BostonLogan last night and is now serving @MUC_Airport daily. Welcome to Boston, D-AIXB!

https://twitter.com/Lufthansa_USA/st...95594752704515

datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #3372
bigpicture7

^ love how the 350 has that mask-of-Zoro bandana sorta thing around the flight deck windows. Always special to spot one of these : )
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #3373
adamh8297

OAG thread on airliners has some good news.

Boston-Mexico City going daily as of September 1 though it will be daily most of the summer as well.

Boston-Istanbul going from 4 to 5 weekly in off-peak.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:06 PM   #3374
atlantaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
^ love how the 350 has that mask-of-Zoro bandana sorta thing around the flight deck windows. Always special to spot one of these : )

The 350 is the Cedar Waxwing of the sky! 😉
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:35 AM   #3375
jass

Quote:
OAG thread on airliners has some good news.

Boston-Mexico City going daily as of September 1 though it will be daily most of the summer as well.
What has it been?

Glad to hear it has been successful.

Unfortunately, it is still always significantly, cheaper to fly via Miami (AA) or Houston (UA). Jetlue is cheaper as well, but the 12 hour transfer in Ft Lauderdale only works if you want a beach day.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #3376
adamh8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
What has it been?

Glad to hear it has been successful.

Unfortunately, it is still always significantly, cheaper to fly via Miami (AA) or Houston (UA). Jetlue is cheaper as well, but the 12 hour transfer in Ft Lauderdale only works if you want a beach day.

Its been 5-6 weekly depending on time of year. It always seems to be the low fare carrier booking far in advance. Were you looking at flights closer in or during peak times (Christmas, Spring Break etc? )
Old 03-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #3377
tysmith95

Mexico City is an extremely underrated destination. Beautiful architecture and it's very affordable. Hell I got a 7 dolor filet mignon when I was there. The subway rides are 20 cents and the Uber rates are about 1/6th what they are here. Plus you can get a nice hotel for 50 bucks a night.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #3378
jass

Quote:
Its been 5-6 weekly depending on time of year. It always seems to be the low fare carrier booking far in advance. Were you looking at flights closer in or during peak times (Christmas, Spring Break etc? )
2-3 weeks in advance
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #3379
LH421

Quote:
The NY (JFK/EWR) routes have historically had similar average fares to their MIA/FLL counterparts but on a much longer stage length, so overall yields are lower. Obviously NY is a network necessity for many of these carriers, but there is a good reason we have relatively limited capacity and B6 has focused their Caribbean operation in FLL.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:03 PM   #3380
atlantaden

https://www.businesstraveller.com/ne...ester-flights/

Not sure if this news has already been posted but Virgin Atlantic begins new service to Manchester starting 3/29. This service is seasonal with two flights weekly.
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote