archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > General

General Misc. topics.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #4581
statler

Re: Open Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
I actually miss the 1970's and 80's character of North Station and Kenmore Square.
Tough, hungry and unique.
Coming in on the Green-L Train. I miss the upper deck portion of the Train in the area.

Going to the Garden for old Celts or Bruins games you knew the battles were brewing.
Walking to Fenway Park all the sidewalk deals and vendors trying to sell you stuff was awesome.
Yeah, there has been a lot of talk here over the years about good grit vs bad grit, gentrification vs crime & rot, 'realness' vs soullessness, etc.

I really haven't worked out all my feelings on the subject to be honest. Probably never will.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:49 AM   #4582
Beton Brut

^ I've come to believe that society's ever-growing addiction/dependence on mobile technology has bled off the vitality from our streets. Think I'm crazy? Take a walk through downtown at rush hour, or Kenmore an hour before a Sox game. Count the people wearing earbuds, count the people looking at their phones. What does "being present" even mean anymore?

Over a quarter century ago, Wim Wenders made a fabulous mess of a sci-fi movie called Until the End of the World; in it, he coins the term "a disease of images." Though the plot devices are different, what ails the characters at the end of the film isn't so different from Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter...

~ Justin7
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #4583
statler

Do you think that we will see or are seeing a reaction to this new behavior in the built environment?

Be brighter/louder can't be the remedy because I'm sure that you will see the same behavior in places like Times Sq.

Perhaps, buildings need to be more interactive/engaging? What will that look like? How will architects respond to this challenge? (If they do at all)
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:54 PM   #4584
Beton Brut

^^ Someone a whole lot smarter than me will write a dissertation on this; maybe someone already has...

My back-of-the-napkin thoughts have nothing to do with architecture or urbanism, and everything to do with the way that we've rewired ourselves into semi-random, non-linear consumers (of information and goods). We've allowed our senses to be subjugated by algorithms, driven by advertising and sales forecasts.

On the face of it, technology can extend our senses, enhance our productivity, and lengthen our reach to build a "smaller," better world. But has it? And if it hasn't, who thinks it will?

I'm no Luddite. I love that there's a wealth of information available to me when I type a few disjointed search-terms into my phone. I love that I can instantaneously listen to an obscure Sugarcubes remix (that I never had the money to purchase in 1988) on YouTube, Spotify, Pandora, or AmazonMusic. But I also know how to use a library card catalog, or dive in the bins at Nuggets.

I was in San Diego a couple of weeks ago, and spent the day with an old friend; we had lunch, talked about our lives, and I got to meet her kids for the first time. A few hours after we'd went our separate ways, I got a message that we "forgot to take a picture." As if our failure to "document the experience" in some way invalidates its reality...

~ Justin7

Last edited by Beton Brut; 09-07-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:21 AM   #4585
odurandina

though i think brutalist structures are nearly universally ghastly, i appreciate your posts; as they help me see things from the point of view of a genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statler View Post
Do you think that we will see or are seeing a reaction to this new behavior in the built environment?

Be brighter/louder can't be the remedy because I'm sure that you will see the same behavior in places like Times Sq.
dunno but there's a few parcels screaming for flatiron's.

that would add a nice touch.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 05:27 PM   #4586
kz1000ps

What the fuck is going on in the Merrimac Valley? 25+ gas fires?

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/upd...ad08331b4.html
Old 09-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #4587
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
What the fuck is going on in the Merrimac Valley? 25+ gas fires?

http://www.eagletribune.com/news/upd...ad08331b4.html
Now at "60-100." Crazy...
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #4588
datadyne007

Overpressurized main. Main line regulator likely failed, overpressurized the system and then the old pipes & valves at various homes couldn't handle the pressure. Just an epic catastrophe.

People reported hearing gas "sizzling" out of their appliances & meter assemblies. That would be consistent with pressure so high it was leaking out joints and eventually blowing out the valves. Some houses exploded but didn't catch fire, others exploded with fires.

Columbia Gas is currently replacing about 700 miles of their natural gas mains in their service area throughout the Commonwealth.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:25 PM   #4589
Jouhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
Overpressurized main. Main line regulator likely failed, overpressurized the system and then the old pipes & valves at various homes couldn't handle the pressure. Just an epic catastrophe.

People reported hearing gas "sizzling" out of their appliances & meter assemblies. That would be consistent with pressure so high it was leaking out joints and eventually blowing out the valves. Some houses exploded but didn't catch fire, others exploded with fires.

Columbia Gas is currently replacing about 700 miles of their natural gas mains in their service area throughout the Commonwealth.
How the hell is there not a series of relief valves preventing this from happening?!!! Is natural gas pipeline safety THAT poorly regulated?
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 03:43 AM   #4590
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
How the hell is there not a series of relief valves preventing this from happening?!!! Is natural gas pipeline safety THAT poorly regulated?
Well Columbias response was so shitty that Baker basically fired them on live TV.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote