archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #1
Equilibria

Under Construction 112 Shawmut Avenue | South End

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...9-5565207fa2d9

150 feet, facadectomy and apartments (from what I can tell, the non-facade parts of this building aren't special anyway). Perspectives begin on p.158.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #2
Suffolk 83

Re: 112 Shawmut Avenue | South End

I dont understand why go thru the expense of a facadectomy and not go bigger in this location? I think the neighborhood wouldnt even push back much
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
I dont understand why go thru the expense of a facadectomy and not go bigger in this location? I think the neighborhood wouldnt even push back much
Look at Figure 1-12 on page 26 (that's the page # as pagination of the pdf is counted). It's got some massing illustrations that show only about 20% of the footprint of the old building being torn down, the rest of it remains. And the new building is then up above parts of it. That doesn't look like a pure facadectomy to me.

Having said that, I'm sure they have to seriously gut the old building to provide structural support for that portion of the new building rising up above it. So much of the old building that "remains" will indeed be gutted to the point that it does sort of approach a facadectomy.

Anyhow, this looks like something of a grey zone between extreme facadectomy at one end of the extreme, versus an adaptive reuse with an expansion tacked on.

And setting aside whether this is or isn't a facadectomy (I don't care so much), I like the overall proposed design. The design elements of the new building plays off the old facade's design elements pretty well, while still having their own modern flair. And while they're doing some of the now-popular thing of having arbitrarily differing patterns of materials / fenestration, they haven't gone completely bonkers with it like some architects do. It doesn't look so crazily over-designed and cluttered like some recent designs. I like it.

As for your point on going bigger? I'm one of the ones who sometimes complains about the height fetishists around aB, but ...... OK, I admit it: this is in a location where I agree it could have gone taller and I'd even argue should have, for the sake of getting more units in play within walking distance of downtown / Back Bay / multi-line T access.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by West View Post
Look at Figure 1-12 on page 26 (that's the page # as pagination of the pdf is counted). It's got some massing illustrations that show only about 20% of the footprint of the old building being torn down, the rest of it remains. And the new building is then up above parts of it. That doesn't look like a pure facadectomy to me.
From p.1-2:

Quote:
The existing building on the Project Site will be partially demolished, with the exception of the street-facing facades which will be incorporated into the Project design (see Figure 1-12).
Old 09-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #5
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
This is being fit within the Harrison Albany Corridor zoning for the area -- heavily negotiated with the surrounding neighborhoods. It won't be allowed to go bigger -- this is exactly the height and massing allowed in a PDA in that zoning area (redone in 2013). (PDA has been created in conjunction with the Boston Chinatown Evangelical Church and CCBA who control abutting parcels.)
Old 09-01-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
bakgwailo

That is going to be one weird block now with this facadectomy and the Church.... thing... next door.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Boston-based Davis Cos. is partnering with two South End organizations on a development plan for three South End properties with plans for 517 housing units.
http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/20...source=twitter
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #8
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...9-5565207fa2d9

150 feet, facadectomy and apartments (from what I can tell, the non-facade parts of this building aren't special anyway). Perspectives begin on p.158.
I'm digging it.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #9
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
There's a diagram on p.2-30 that shows all 3 in plan view. It's the only one I could find.

With a view to that, though, maybe we already want to change the thread title to "Davis Cos Residential Development | Shawmut and Herald | South End".
Old 09-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
JohnAKeith

So glad to hear the market is going away. A vestige (?) to another time. Plenty of options for those who shop there but bigger / better uses coming.
JohnAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 05:13 AM   #11
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAKeith View Post
So glad to hear the market is going away. A vestige (?) to another time. Plenty of options for those who shop there but bigger / better uses coming.
This development does not touch the C-Mart. It fills in the parking lot behind 112 Shawmut.

The C-Mart (50 Herald Street) is controlled by CCBA. We are probably 4-5 years away from that being developed -- C-Mart has a lease through 2023. Word is that buy-out of that lease only starts looking attractive around 2021.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #12
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
From p.1-2:
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #13
JohnAKeith

Jeff, thanks. I based my comments on this sliver of the B&T article.

"And a 9- to 14-story building with 302 housing units and 14,200 square feet of ground floor commercial space would be built on the CCBA property, which currently contains a single-story supermarket."

If it's not going away, those new tenants are gonna have to put up with one nasty stink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
This development does not touch the C-Mart. It fills in the parking lot behind 112 Shawmut.

The C-Mart (50 Herald Street) is controlled by CCBA. We are probably 4-5 years away from that being developed -- C-Mart has a lease through 2023. Word is that buy-out of that lease only starts looking attractive around 2021.
JohnAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:18 AM   #14
elemenoh

I'm hoping that someday the BRA will actually require street-level pedestrian renders of buildings so you can get some idea of what these things will look like if you're not a bird. This kind of looks okay, but you can't tell if the ground floor works without a proper streetscape render.
elemenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 11:57 AM   #15
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAKeith View Post
Jeff, thanks. I based my comments on this sliver of the B&T article.

"And a 9- to 14-story building with 302 housing units and 14,200 square feet of ground floor commercial space would be built on the CCBA property, which currently contains a single-story supermarket."

If it's not going away, those new tenants are gonna have to put up with one nasty stink!
50 Herald Street (C-Mart) and 112 Shawmut share a common PDA (with the former South Cove Manor building on Shawmut owned by the Boston Chinatown Evangelical Church), but the timing for each development portion will be very different. CCBA is no where close to getting started. And 50 Herald Street is supposed to be dominantly affordable housing, so that will be challenging to finance.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
Equilibria

Conceptual plans for the Boston Chinese Evangelical Church (120 Shawmut) begin on p.100.

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...c-7ee0efb81955
Old 11-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #17
Equilibria

The latest:

http://www.bostonplans.org/documents...114-2017-11-17
Old 04-18-2018, 01:22 PM   #18
Equilibria

Another update on the whole block (pretty pictures on p.50):

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...d-a2a828e4d575
Old 04-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #19
cadetcarl

So. Much. Gray.
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #20
BostonDrew

They've already started gutting the existing brick building and the parking lot behind it is closed.
BostonDrew is offline   Reply With Quote