archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #601
dshoost88

Re: Echelon Seaport | 133-135 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVE View Post
I think the Seaport has objectively failed from a climate change/sea level rise aspect, and that should not be discounted in all of this.
I disagree.

The Seaport has prioritized resilience and adaptive building design. Like the Spaulding Rehab Hospital that opened 6 years ago in Charlestown, much of the coastal development in Boston the last decade has elevated entrances, moved mechanical fixtures high above ground/atop buildings (as oppose to traditionally below ground), and improved landscape architecture along the waterfront with natural plant species that can aid with water absorption during heavy rain/flooding events. The below-ground parking garages are apparently double-protected (double tubbed?) to prevent water intrusion/flooding during king tide events. The net square footage of green roofs, rooftop gardens, park space, and other natural features added as part of the new development is far greater than what previously existed in the neighborhood.

I walked down Pier 4 and Fort Point Channel recently and was pleased to see non-invasive plant species planted along the water to aid with some of these climate action goals. And it looks like the new Pier 4 park will reintroduce coastal wetlands to aid even further (not to mention restoring bird and fish habitat).

The neighborhood is still very young, even comparatively to the Rose Kennedy Greenway. I look at the tree canopy along the Greenway awestruck as it was only 12 years ago I remember first walking it when cute little sticks of trees were planted. The tree canopy throughout the Seaport streets and parks will grow just as impressively in time based on what's been planted already.

It's not perfect; however, it is not a failure, either.
dshoost88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 12:27 PM   #602
odurandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay, AIA View Post
Thanks BKNA. I look forward to sharing the field of battle we call arch boston with you. I will defend my neighborhood with the same blind dedication that every millennial who stands in the hour long line outside of Cisco pop embodies.
Oh, the aB left wingers' anger will boil over for your defiance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
The seaport is wild and not necessarily in a good way. I'm a little biased but I'd rather buy a beautiful 1 bed in a brownstone in the south end for 900k before I lived in that fake neighborhood they call the seaport
Nobody's parking their Ferrari F-12's in the South End mac.
The leftist Bolshevik's would set fire to them. Hey look,
They didn't even need wrecking balls to create Boston's new fake neighborhood.
The Philistines came gentrifying the vacant lots! But, the "1%" screed persists to this day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLine View Post

Last edited by odurandina; 06-07-2019 at 12:51 PM.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #603
Suffolk 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Oh, the aB left wingers' anger will boil over for your defiance....

Nobody's parking their Ferrari F-12's in the South End mac.
The leftist Bolshevik's would set fire to them. Hey look,
They didn't even need wrecking balls to create Boston's new fake neighborhood.
The Philistines came gentrifying the vacant lots! But, the "1%" screed persists to this day.
I wonder if you actually have money or just wish you had money... I'm betting on the latter
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:39 PM   #604
Art Vandelay, AIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
I wonder if you actually have money or just wish you had money... I'm betting on the latter
It's a fake neighborhood though, suffolk! odurandina has STACKS of orange $500 bills and they're legal tender in this fantasy land we call seaport!! Come round suffolk!
Art Vandelay, AIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #605
DZH22

From 6/2. Click in to view larger.

IMG_1970 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1994 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1997 by David Z, on Flickr
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 02:38 PM   #606
estyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
From 6/2. Click in to view larger.

IMG_1970 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1994 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_1997 by David Z, on Flickr
I drove by this the other day and was so impressed. It is huge, but complex and interesting. I'm really looking forward to this being done.
estyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM   #607
BeeLine

Last edited by BeeLine; Yesterday at 02:38 PM.
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #608
Suffolk 83

Nothing groundbreaking but these are quite nice. I enjoy the palette, textures, angles, corners and variations it makes it interesting and refreshing in the seaport. Also I don't think it oversteps
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seaport parcels m1 m2