archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 02-20-2019, 12:11 PM   #41
Equilibria

Re: MGH Expansion | 275 Cambridge Street | West End

PNF (but no good new renders):

http://www.bostonplans.org/documents...ilding-project
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #42
Equilibria

BCDC:

http://www.bostonplans.org/documents...ing-2019-05-07

The design is attractive enough, but it still needs provision for a Blue Line headhouse.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:04 PM   #43
DZH22

220', hyper dense, interesting enough design for a hospital. For that location, I'll take it.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #44
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
BCDC:

http://www.bostonplans.org/documents...ing-2019-05-07

The design is attractive enough, but it still needs provision for a Blue Line headhouse.
Yeah. “Provision” being the operative word, but hopefully the city and meeting attendees can agitate for this.

I’m curious about what is going on with the apparent plans for the Bartlett building.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #45
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
Yeah. “Provision” being the operative word, but hopefully the city and meeting attendees can agitate for this.

I’m curious about what is going on with the apparent plans for the Bartlett building.
Since the MGH initially proposed this, the MBTA has gotten much more serious about RBX. Hopefully it will be less than 5 years between completion of this building and the new Blue Line station. But yes, just a provision until the project is fully in design.
Old 05-08-2019, 07:29 PM   #46
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Since the MGH initially proposed this, the MBTA has gotten much more serious about RBX. Hopefully it will be less than 5 years between completion of this building and the new Blue Line station. But yes, just a provision until the project is fully in design.
To clarify, I meant that I think it's reasonable to ask that MGH build or leave space for a headhouse, but not that they partially fund the BLX/RBX itself, as I think had been suggested upthread at some point.
Old 07-26-2019, 07:50 AM   #47
Equilibria

BCDC:

http://www.bostonplans.org/documents...ing-2019-07-23

Still no mention of RBX or a possibility of a headhouse (not that I was expecting anything until someone twists an arm. Looks like they'd need to give up valet parking circulation space on the first basement level.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #48
tangent

It would have been relatively easy and preferable to plan on keeping the MGH professional office building (or at least the Cambridge St Facade) and just build behind it.

I really dislike that the plan is to knock down one of the nicer looking buildings on their property in order to replace it with a less nice (shoddy) looking building that doesn't blend in with the beacon hill architecture as well.

I mean replacing the parking lot and garage is great, but it seems like a step backwards from the Cambridge St ground level perspective. I wouldn't protest or anything about it, but it just seems like bad architectural design. And it bodes ill that the MGH block is just going further down the path of becoming an amorphous blob of steel and glass.
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #49
stick n move

stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #50
FK4

Interesting that the Wang building is not red… I know there are long-term plans to replace that building as well, but not sure if this is just a render error, or if they plan to re-clad the building, or what.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:54 AM   #51
atlantaden

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post

Lovin the seemly random bump-outs, inserts, and various angles in these two buildings. Here's hoping the more proportional bump-outs in the Hub on Causeway office building will look as good! I'm optomistic!
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #52
tangent

I understand there are a lot of moving functional pieces that make it difficult for a hospital complex to have great campus planning... just wish we could see planning support better preservation of the Bullfinch building and restoration of a real functional quad with Bullfinch as a backdrop. Undoing a hundred years of architectural encroachment would be worth some consideration.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:13 PM   #53
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent View Post
I understand there are a lot of moving functional pieces that make it difficult for a hospital complex to have great campus planning... just wish we could see planning support better preservation of the Bullfinch building and restoration of a real functional quad with Bullfinch as a backdrop. Undoing a hundred years of architectural encroachment would be worth some consideration.
Totally agree.

Interesting to note that although there was historically more of a green in front of Bullfinch, it's never had that much space in front of it — as it was always walled off from Cambridge Street even in the beginning.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:48 PM   #54
tangent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
Totally agree.

Interesting to note that although there was historically more of a green in front of Bullfinch, it's never had that much space in front of it — as it was always walled off from Cambridge Street even in the beginning.
Yes, that Bullfinch and the green are walled off from Cambridge St are completely fine in my view. Just for a green to be functional (for aesthetic value and for value as a gathering place.) then it should have some good amount of grass sufficiently away from roads and paths that people can stop without getting in the way or feeling overwhelmed by cars. And being loomed over by buildings doesn't help. Even having large trees in front of the ether dome interrupts sight lines and makes the area too shady in part. Again with enough space you can have shaded areas and sunny spots and good sight lines with mature trees.

I know the consideration has to be functional for the hospital, but with enough long term planning and a focus on Bullfinch then I think they can really do some sensible restoration along the way.

And I know there are a lot of people that will want to preserve the White building, but I think it should eventually be replaced (or pushed back on the Bullfinch side) in favor of the Bullfinch Green if possible.

Also eventually replacing the parking garage and Wang as well as street reconfiguration/infill could go a long way towards giving MGH the flexibility build a great green in front of Bullfinch. Even as-is sacrificing a small number of parking spaces would go a long way.

And I have to say the idea of having the medical museum in a small building along Cambridge is silly when you have the operating theater of Bullfinch as one of the most historically significant sites in medical history just around the corner. Last time I was there, years ago, it felt a bit neglected.

To me this is a great example of a very functional green as it was in front of Bullfinch, reminiscent of Killian Court at MIT, unlike what you see at MGH today.

Old 08-15-2019, 11:28 PM   #55
FK4

^^^
Great pic, nice elms.

The hospital really should make the green a long term goal. But it will take a lot of time to get there - all the ugly research buildings on Blossom, as well as Wang, and maybe White (tho that’s manageable) need to be torn down and redesigned.

The Ether Dome is heavily used... it’s in good shape, just sparse in the usual crusty New England antique way. But neither the Dome nor Bullfinch would ever accommodate the museum well; I think the building of the museum was a little bit of an odd decision, but overall it’s a nice space with a nice little viewing platform on the roof that’s worth visiting.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:47 PM   #56
BeeLine

Just so I have this correct, they will be demolishing these buildings and are replacing it with the northern building. The southern building goes where the gas station once was plus they demo a bunch of small buildings behind the current parking lot.

Last edited by BeeLine; 08-16-2019 at 01:59 PM.
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #57
shmessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent View Post
I think the official name for that entire area is "Claustrophobia".
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote