archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2018, 07:19 AM   #1
Justin7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,580
Cancelled 1000 Boylston Street | MassDOT Parcel 15 | Back Bay



BPDA Project Site

Project Description (from BPDA): The Proposed Project consists of a single condominium tower containing up to approximately 108 condominium units, rising from a Podium base containing approximately 45,500 square feet of first and second-story retail and restaurant space fronting on Dalton, Boylston and St. Cecilia Streets, a two-story above-grade parking garage containing approximately 175 spaces, and an amenities floor. A greenspace and outdoor amenity area for the condominium unit owners will be located on the roof level of the Podium.

Architect: Elkus Manredi

BPDA Project Manager: Michael Rooney

Current Street View: https://goo.gl/maps/H2FoSdgAp3p

(See past discussion here: http://www.archboston.org/community/...ead.php?t=2347)






Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post















__________________
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."

Last edited by Justin7; 08-09-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #2
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,203
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Wow there are a ton of great renders here! It's tough to complain much about this one, except that given what a great design it is they should have made it taller.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #3
meddlepal
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,296
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Huge win for the area. Now the other side of the street just needs to get its act together and this part of Boylston will be booming.
meddlepal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #4
34f34f
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 197
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddlepal View Post
Huge win for the area. Now the other side of the street just needs to get its act together and this part of Boylston will be booming.
Yep--ground level is the best part of the project:


vs. current:
https://goo.gl/maps/zVvtexW3qNG2
34f34f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #5
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Fenway
Posts: 1,959
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Since the "MassDOT Pike Parcels 12-15" thread is 48 pages of 95% discussion of this project (Parcel 15), can we just rename that as the Parcel 15 thread and get rid of this one? With both of these threads open we're going to get parallel and duplicative conversation.

Maybe we can make a separate Parcel 12 thread, as that is farther down the road and hasn't been discussed much in the "MassDOT Pike Parcels 12-15" thread?
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
DZH22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 5,203
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
Since the "MassDOT Pike Parcels 12-15" thread is 48 pages of 95% discussion of this project (Parcel 15), can we just rename that as the Parcel 15 thread and get rid of this one? With both of these threads open we're going to get parallel and duplicative conversation.

Maybe we can make a separate Parcel 12 thread, as that is farther down the road and hasn't been discussed much in the "MassDOT Pike Parcels 12-15" thread?
Personally, I like having all the renders in the first post instead of having to click through 48 pages to find the current ones.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Fenway
Posts: 1,959
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Personally, I like having all the renders in the first post instead of having to click through 48 pages to find the current ones.
That's not enough reason to have multiple threads for the same project
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
Justin7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,580
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
Since the "MassDOT Pike Parcels 12-15" thread is 48 pages of 95% discussion of this project (Parcel 15), can we just rename that as the Parcel 15 thread and get rid of this one? With both of these threads open we're going to get parallel and duplicative conversation.

Maybe we can make a separate Parcel 12 thread, as that is farther down the road and hasn't been discussed much in the "MassDOT Pike Parcels 12-15" thread?
That thread covers multiple iterations of 4 distinct buildings. Now that 1000 Boylston is a defined project and has its own thread there is no longer a a reason to discuss it there and no reason for parallel discussions.

If an admin wants to move the past few days of discussion relating to 1000 Boylston over to this thread that would be ideal.
__________________
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:47 AM   #9
FenwayResident
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 760
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Why not just change the big thread to be discussion for Parcels 12-14? Then any time one of the parcels gets fully approved it gets its own thread.
FenwayResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
JumboBuc
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Fenway
Posts: 1,959
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayResident View Post
Why not just change the big thread to be discussion for Parcels 12-14? Then any time one of the parcels gets fully approved it gets its own thread.
Parcel 13 has been approved; it's the "Viola" project. Parcel 14 is a tiny traffic island that will never be developed.

I'd support breaking up the "12-15" thread into a thread for 12, a thread for 13 ("The Viola"), and this thread for 15. But it's silly to keep both this and "12-15" active. At a minimum, the recent Parcel 15 discussion (i.e., at least the last year's worth, since around post #766) should be moved into this thread if this one is to stay active.

Last edited by JumboBuc; 03-16-2018 at 10:19 AM.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
FK4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,358
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

^
I've griped about this on the other thread forever - the 12-15 thread HAS to be broken up - if anything, at least into the two major projects (Viola, and this [isn't Parcel 15 the same project as the building that will go over the Pike and have a new bus station for the MBTA 1?])

I think we get carried away sometimes breaking up every little component of a multibuilding project on here, but I can definitely also see splitting up the parcels on this one even further, since each one is so consequential.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:53 AM   #12
FenwayResident
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 760
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
Parcel 13 has been approved; it's the "Viola" project. Parcel 14 is a tiny traffic island that will never be developed.

I'd support breaking up the "12-15" thread into a thread for 12, a thread for 13 ("The Viola"), and this thread for 15. But it's silly to keep both this and "12-15" active. At a minimum, the recent Parcel 15 discussion (i.e., at least the last year's worth, since around post #766) should be moved into this thread if this one is to stay active.
That seems entirely reasonable. At this point they're all separate projects so why not have separate threads?
FenwayResident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #13
stick n move
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dorchester
Posts: 5,999
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

The view across the charles is amazing. I love the angles. Much better than the taller version imo. Plus I like the step down effect.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #14
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,766
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayResident View Post
That seems entirely reasonable. At this point they're all separate projects so why not have separate threads?
Okay, but just to satisfy my pet peeve - it's "MassDOT".
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #15
Shepard
Senior Member
 
Shepard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,467
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

This is a great design. And a big deal.

Some time in the next 5 - 10 years you'll experience continuous urbanism/streetwall from Copley, past the Pru, out to and around the Fens, and straight through Fenway's miracle mile to Landmark Center. The current dead zone around MassAve/Boylston/Pike very much crimps the feeling of continuous urbanity.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #16
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4,718
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Globe;

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...aiI/story.html
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:12 PM   #17
Mike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Weymouth
Posts: 1,036
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Are they serious about fall groundbreaking? How is this different than everything else that has failed since the 80's? Size of parcel?
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:13 PM   #18
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,473
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Hot Damn. Love it.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #19
citylover94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: White River Jct.
Posts: 1,096
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Are they serious about fall groundbreaking? How is this different than everything else that has failed since the 80's? Size of parcel?
The main difference is that the tower itself is mostly over solid ground or has plenty of space to place supports between the rail line and the mass pike as well as Cambria Street.

The tower will go over the open grassy area, Cambria Street and the rail line on the western half of the parcel with the low rise being placed over the other section which will be harder to put large supports on making this a much easier project than all of the other recent air rights parcels that had the majority of each tower being suspended over the pike itself.

citylover94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #20
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 854
Re: 1000 Boylston Street | MassDot Pike Parcel 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylover94 View Post
The main difference is that the tower itself is mostly over solid ground or has plenty of space to place supports between the rail line and the mass pike as well as Cambria Street.

The tower will go over the open grassy area, Cambria Street and the rail line on the western half of the parcel with the low rise being placed over the other section which will be harder to put large supports on making this a much easier project than all of the other recent air rights parcels that had the majority of each tower being suspended over the pike itself.
Wish they could have done something similar for the Fenway/Kenmore parcels instead of letting the developer get away with only the terra firma phase of the development and no decking over the pike.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parcel 12 | Massachusetts Avenue at Boylston Street | Back Bay Equilibria Development Projects 191 Yesterday 03:18 PM
Boston Properties Office Tower | 888 Boylston Street | Back Bay Rick Development Projects 1180 07-08-2019 06:59 AM
Shreve, Crump & Low Redevelopment | 334-364 Boylston Street | Back Bay statler Development Projects 766 02-09-2019 12:01 PM
MassDOT Pike Parcels 12 - 15 | Boylston St. and Mass. Ave | Back Bay Mike Development Projects 987 11-13-2018 12:38 PM
Public Alley 444 | 939 Boylston Street | Back Bay Hutchison Development Projects 17 09-03-2018 09:51 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.