archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #1441
cjbski

Re: What's Happening With Project X?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote137 View Post
Even as a YIMBY, I thought 1 Bromfield was a fucking insult. That one needed serious revision.
What did people hate about it so much?
cjbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #1442
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbski View Post
To me I didn't like the base, the treatment of Bromfield Street, and getting rid of the Payless building. However, the tower portion itself looked bleeping amazing and I stand by that 100%.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #1443
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbski View Post
Foremost: that it destroyed the historic bromfield street-level facade/experience...with, to be frank, an insultingly sterile streetwall that showed no effort to honor the context.

Secondarily: it looked like a giant glass cactus (the one is more debatable)

All of this said, I'd love to see a revised design proposed.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:33 PM   #1444
odurandina

During the period around the time of its unveiling, Datadyne is one of the few commenters who attended the meetings and was on top of the factual shortcomings of what was always going to be a compromised design–if a 700' tower was ever to have been built (re; problems with the lower level cladding, garage/lack of public amenities, retail etc, problems with the garage entrance/exit traffic, vendors, deliveries, sanitation, etc.... there were serious issues). But they were problems that likely could have been solved. DD offered his take--without throwing a fit over the massing, design and height.

The effort was daring, if not inspiring. A lot of thought and consideration went in and was shown in a very advanced stage at the BCDC meeting. i was in attendance and listened to the presentation, and reasons for each aspect of the design. i thought the cactus-shaped design tower was interesting. i neither loved it or hated it–but there were very good reasons for doing it. Admittedly, mostly i loved the 2nd (or third) reasonably tall peak for the skyline and urbanism for DTX. The retail area is still, sleepy, deactivated and blighted. i appreciated how they were trying to keep to a small footprint for the benefit of the street level. The effort and clear possibilities of revision were overshadowed by only-negative actions taken the nimby-biased BCDC, who send mixed messages to the development and design community at large. We have too much shitty architecture, and holes in the City–as a direct outcome of the BCDC's poor messaging.

The site (including shadows) allows for an outcome as expressive and iconic as Accordia's design for Winthrop Square. Killing the height decimated the economics for suitable revisions, and a decisive result.

Blowing up another skyscraper at a site so well suited (albeit challenged) for a 700' tower isn't easy to brush off. The BCDC did not act in Boston's best interests, here. They overreacted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
Foremost: that it destroyed the historic bromfield street-level facade/experience...with, to be frank, an insultingly sterile streetwall that showed no effort to honor the context.
i agree; the design team strongly miscalculated by not preserving the podium. But, the angst seems a bit overblown. Their reasons for doing it were to cloak the above ground garage (itself, a tough pill). It was actually worse: The street level glass would have been only minimally-transparent! It would have looked very close to ridiculous at street level.

Better; "the podium is too generic, and should be distinguished from the tower's upper floors, and bolster the character of the neighborhood, and include more retail space" would have sufficed. And possibly, an elevator garage, with cars going up above the street. It probably would have meant losing 1 or 2 floors of residential space. But, the sentiment to "kick the invaders out of the club" is a bit strong in this town. The residents of 45 Province Streets will have to adjust to life at the top of the real estate investment pyramid in the center of Downtown Boston.

Last edited by odurandina; 08-12-2019 at 02:12 PM.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 01:39 PM   #1445
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post

Secondarily: it looked like a giant glass cactus (the one is more debatable)

All of this said, I'd love to see a revised design proposed.
Mostly this. I actually liked the tower design, but there's absolutely no reason you can't have a beautifully designed tower and also maintain a human scale street level. The absolute destruction of the Bromfield streetwall was way too high a price to pay for a tower that's neat to look at.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:15 PM   #1446
stick n move

I hated that tower. The overhangs were stupid and clashed with literally everything. Its actually kind of scary that one building can ruin an entire skyline like that after hundreds of years of a slow and deliberate crawl towards the nice skyline were finally getting now with MT, then winthrop sq and SST.

In that case business as usual would have actually been good. If it was approved then had a design change but kept the height it would have been a win. It actually probably would have been perfect because the design was extreme so if they simplified it, it could have turned out fine, vs when something starts out as average and then still gets ve’d.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #1447
Gameguy326

Main Street in Cambridge, where the abandoned, MIT-owned buildings are...730-750 Main Street, I think. There's now construction going on in them. Does anybody know what's happening here? Any plans? Looks like some sort of renovation.
Gameguy326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #1448
odurandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
If it was approved then had a design change but kept the height it would have been a win. It actually probably would have been perfect because the design was extreme so if they simplified it, it could have turned out fine, vs when something starts out as average and then still gets ve’d.
They needed to change the shape of the cantilevers. The footprint is too small to sustain a commercially viable tower. The building itself needed to be wider. Developers need to be able to show a breakaway economic viability in order to secure financing. Something you learn by actually speaking to the design team. Yes, this was going to be a very tight, compromised design. If it ever gets built, it may in fact be the most controversial tall building in the City's history--more than even an 800' tower at NSS [no such site] (should a commercially/politically viable proposal eventually come about).
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:52 AM   #1449

Quote:
Boston officials plan codify the state-approved plan outlining the future of development on the city’s 42-acre waterfront into zoning, which would ultimately allow for a 600' tower at the Boston Harbor Garage and a 305' tower at the Hook Lobster site.
https://mobile.twitter.com/BosBizCat...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #1450
Massachoicetts

Are they going back to the drawing board on One Bromfield... or are they completely off the project? Its not really clear what happened after BCDC shut the tower down for its disgusting/offensive street level.

Should we expect a new concept in coming months-years from the same developer?
Massachoicetts is offline   Reply With Quote