archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Miscellaneous > Board Issues and Announcements

Board Issues and Announcements Member feedback, board announcements, and any tech issues. Please check regularly.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #81
Beton Brut

Re: New Forum Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by found5dollar View Post
I think as we are rethinking this community and how it is structured we should also think of how we want to treat each other.
I actually took a few moments to research the dust-up you had last year, and it's a good example of what I've become increasingly mindful of during the past couple of years. I say this being conscious of my own transgressions here and elsewhere.

At the end of the day, it's not the best form to type something in an online forum that would get you punched in the face if you said it to someone on a street corner.

Also up for consideration is that the lack of new membership may have had a chilling effect to our level of discourse. New ideas are mind-broadening if we open ourselves to them. The challenge of conflicting ideas expressed with facts, principles, and good intentions demands that we reflect upon our positions as we seek to defend them. It's deeply human to react viscerally; it's deeply humane to respond reasonably. I love good fight, but no one needs to go home with a bloody nose.

In my travels, I've had the good fortune to interact with a few writers, documentary filmmakers, academics, activists, and public officials. Even if we were able to add new members today, I'm not sure all of them would feel welcome here. I only ask that we think a bit about fixing that for everyone's benefit.

~ Justin7

Last edited by Beton Brut; 04-20-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Beton Brut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:57 PM   #82
markhb

I agree that the current situation is untenable. My suggestion would be not to get too hung up in details like trying to archive the site via screen-scraping, etc; without the keys to the database any attempt to do that is going to be less than what you really want, and we shouldn't view archiving the current as a blocker to getting a new site up and running. The code-of-conduct discussion, on the other hand, is vital.

For the software, forum tools are a commodity. I would suggest that we don't truly need anything beyond what we currently have, so then treat everything else as nice-to-haves and rank them accordingly.

For me, all I really want is for Portland to have its own subforum .
Old 04-21-2019, 04:38 PM   #83
DominusNovus

Personally, Iím partial to shock therapy: just pull the bandaid and get it done. If we need to reference threads on this forum for quite awhile, so be it.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:05 AM   #84
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhb View Post
I agree that the current situation is untenable. My suggestion would be not to get too hung up in details like trying to archive the site via screen-scraping, etc; without the keys to the database any attempt to do that is going to be less than what you really want, and we shouldn't view archiving the current as a blocker to getting a new site up and running. The code-of-conduct discussion, on the other hand, is vital.

For the software, forum tools are a commodity. I would suggest that we don't truly need anything beyond what we currently have, so then treat everything else as nice-to-haves and rank them accordingly.

For me, all I really want is for Portland to have its own subforum .
Yah, Portland is the most active part of this site outside of Boston.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:15 AM   #85
BosDevelop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
bosdevelopment should be disinvited from the new forum for sure.
Fine with me, just please don't confuse us!!! I have been here for a LONG time.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #86
Josh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Yah, Portland is the most active part of this site outside of Boston.
Go Portland
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:31 AM   #87
Jouhou

Uh, so Briv went MIA again? How long has it been since he last stopped in this time?
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:45 AM   #88
bobthebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
Uh, so Briv went MIA again? How long has it been since he last stopped in this time?
Take a look at the member's list. Looks like the last time he was here was August 2018
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #89
statler

Hey guys.

As you all know by now, briv is back. This, of course, is excellent news.

There has been some discussion regarding new admins/mods, new software, etc behind the scenes. I know everyone is anxious to move forward and hopefully we will soon.

I have just been granted some extended admin powers. There is a bit of a learning curve to some of the features and to be honest I haven't had a lot of time to go through and learn everything. I don't want to just start mashing buttons to see what they do.

I thought I had figured out how to approve new members but none of the members I have approved have shown up on the new member list yet, so there may be another step. I will continue to investigate. In the mean time if you are reading this and are still waiting to be approved to post, please try sending me another PM. There were 806 members awaiting approval when I first looked. Most of those are spam accounts but the ones I received PMs from I knew were probably legit, so more PMs I get the more I can approve.
On that note, if you do get a spam PM or see spam on the boards please let me know immediately. Thanks.

Oh, I did figure out how to fix the emojis, so yay?

Hopefully things will be moving quickly soon. Thank you for all your patience and offers to help, it makes all of this much easier. I will keep you updated with whatever new information I receive. Thanks again.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #90
etik

Hi everyone, newly approved member here. I'm excited to finally join the conversation and wanted to say hello and thank you for keeping the shut-out members in mind as you weighed transitioning to a new forum.

Statler, hopefully this post helps you figure out if the approvals are working
etik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:00 PM   #91
statler

Ah! Thank you etik!

And welcome aboard!
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #92
Czervik.Construction

I have never been to this wing of AB. Is the forum moving / undergoing a massive change? AB is one of my happy places and hope it continues.
Czervik.Construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #93
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czervik.Construction View Post
I have never been to this wing of AB. Is the forum moving / undergoing a massive change? AB is one of my happy places and hope it continues.
Briv was absent for a year, so no new members were approved and we worried about the continuing availability of this form.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:46 PM   #94
TheMagicMan

Should we consider the moderators to read all the posts before they are actually posted?

It could prevent outbursts like this below.

Quote:
Not with idiots and/or fascists, no.

Didn't you literally just say in the same post you are pro-free speech? So yes, I reserve my right to call trash trash.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #95
bobthebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
Should we consider the moderators to read all the posts before they are actually posted?

It could prevent outbursts like this below.
That is a terrible idea and would only stifle conversation.

It works fine for comments on a site like UHub, but this is a discussion based forum and works just fine by allowing conversation to flow freely and remove those comments/users that are a problem.
bobthebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 06:00 PM   #96
BarbaricManchurian

Odurandina (or however you spell it) deleted his inflammatory posts after I responded, like the snowflake he is. If I was in charge, I would exclude any chronically disruptive users, and yes that includes you TheMagicMan.
BarbaricManchurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 10:07 AM   #97
KentXie

Yeah Barbaric has been here for years and I never seen him go on random outburst unless some forumer said something extremely stupid so he's not the problem.

While people seem to be highly against permanently banning troublemakers, perhaps putting a temporary ban could be a suitable middle ground.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #98
Equilibria

Quote:
Odurandina (or however you spell it) deleted his inflammatory posts after I responded, like the snowflake he is. If I was in charge, I would exclude any chronically disruptive users, and yes that includes you TheMagicMan.
People deleting inflammatory posts isn't an indicator of character, it's an indicator that they're willing to move on.

We've all been in a nasty interaction on AB. I know I have. Folks need to be willing to move things into PMs if it's personal, and mods need to be ready to control a thread that's out of control. That's not a "review every post" thing, it's a "have enough mods that someone can respond to a thread that's off the rails" thing.

We now have the ability to expand our moderator team. That's a very good thing.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:14 PM   #99
TheMagicMan

Quote:
Maybe the moderators should review the posts and approve what they believe should be appropriate what to say on the site.

I heard Rifleman was PM and threatening everybody which resulted in his banishment.
Granted the moderators do nothing about attacks like this
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotdude78 View Post
SHUT UP and go away. This is a idiotic discussion to have. STOP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Indeed... Don't feed the trolls

I think we should ban Odurandina for that type of thinking.
TheMagicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #100
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicMan View Post
Maybe the moderators should review the posts and approve what they believe should be appropriate what to say on the site.

I heard Rifleman was PM and threatening everybody which resulted in his banishment. But granted the moderators do nothing about posts like this

I think we should ban Odurandina for that type of thinking.

But for some reason the moderators think these attacks are okay.
Disagree. That's way to much work for the mods and would disrupt discussion. We should have freedom of speech, and deal with problem posters when the need arises.