archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:08 PM   #21
DZH22

Re: South Weymouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
That tall twisty tower would be iconic for the area. There's also a miniature version of the Millennium Place complex in there. (still 20+ stories for the taller one) What are the prospects that any of these big ones get built?

EDIT: These are the types of developments I was hoping we would get in Quincy when they originally razed half of the center. It's kind of a strange location for such a massive undertaking.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:01 PM   #22
Equilibria

Just noticed that Union Point has bought naming rights for a new bar area at Gillette Stadium... seems like they're serious.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:21 PM   #23
CBCArch61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Just noticed that Union Point has bought naming rights for a new bar area at Gillette Stadium... seems like they're serious.
I saw this too and I saw the interview with the CEO on the sideline. I ended up going and doing some digging, and really couldn't find much other then their site plan.
CBCArch61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #24
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCArch61 View Post
I saw this too and I saw the interview with the CEO on the sideline. I ended up going and doing some digging, and really couldn't find much other then their site plan.
The most recent Google imagery has a decent amount of construction toward the T station, and the Delahunt Parkway is finally complete across the site. There's reasons to be optimistic.

Could we get a title change, btw? "Union Point | Former South Weymouth NAS | Weymouth"
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:39 AM   #25
mdd

Re: Union Point | Former South Weymouth NAS | Weymouth

This is really cool, but it's never going to happen.
mdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #26
BosDevelop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
seems like they're serious.
Yeah, probably serious about their principles getting plenty of Pats tickets included as part of the naming rights deal.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:16 AM   #27
BostonDrew

Another fire has destroyed a wood-framed building close to it's opening:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...DNK/story.html

Building is likely a total loss.

BostonDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:55 PM   #28
Sprngh2o

^whats this? Number 3 in a few months, Dorchester,Waltham now this. Coincidence?
Sprngh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #29
Bergeron37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprngh2o View Post
^whats this? Number 3 in a few months, Dorchester,Waltham now this. Coincidence?
Dorchester was ruled to be a construction/architect defect on the exhaust pipe. Waltham was arson and this one is too soon to rule. The arson in Waltham is what sticks out to me because Callahan is the largest non-union GC in the state and they are doing a ton of high profile projects. That, to me, says the unions are to blame for the arson. Pulte was building this one in Weymouth, they are probably the largest home builder in the county and I will be curious to see how the state fire marshal rules this one.
Bergeron37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:25 PM   #30
TomOfBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron37 View Post
Dorchester was ruled to be a construction/architect defect on the exhaust pipe. Waltham was arson and this one is too soon to rule. The arson in Waltham is what sticks out to me because Callahan is the largest non-union GC in the state and they are doing a ton of high profile projects. That, to me, says the unions are to blame for the arson. Pulte was building this one in Weymouth, they are probably the largest home builder in the county and I will be curious to see how the state fire marshal rules this one.
Arson or not this building was essentially completed. If the fire had broken out after occupancy it could have been tragic.
TomOfBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #31
Reznor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron37 View Post
Waltham was arson and this one is too soon to rule. The arson in Waltham is what sticks out to me because Callahan is the largest non-union GC in the state and they are doing a ton of high profile projects. That, to me, says the unions are to blame for the arson.
I am not a union cheerleader by any means but accusing local unions of arson is quite a claim.
Reznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #32
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
Arson or not this building was essentially completed. If the fire had broken out after occupancy it could have been tragic.
We've been over this a hundred times: if the building were occupied the fire (in all likelihood) wouldn't have broken out. When a building is under construction it is particularly susceptible to fire because the fire proofing / fire protection systems aren't installed / active yet. But all that stuff is in place before people move in.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #33
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOfBoston View Post
Yah, the sprinklers were not operational yet.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 05:25 AM   #34
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
We've been over this a hundred times: if the building were occupied the fire (in all likelihood) wouldn't have broken out. When a building is under construction it is particularly susceptible to fire because the fire proofing / fire protection systems aren't installed / active yet. But all that stuff is in place before people move in.
Yes, but because this was another building just weeks away from occupancy it still demonstrates how poor the passive fire safety measures are in these buildings.

This construction method is totally dependent on active measures like the sprinklers, which from an risk engineering perspective is a big mistake. Active systems fail due to poor maintenance -- which you know happens.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #35
Jouhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
Yes, but because this was another building just weeks away from occupancy it still demonstrates how poor the passive fire safety measures are in these buildings.

This construction method is totally dependent on active measures like the sprinklers, which from an risk engineering perspective is a big mistake. Active systems fail due to poor maintenance -- which you know happens.
I agree with this. I wonder if the lumber tariffs and the increasing prices will dissuade developers from being such cheap asses.
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #36
CBCArch61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
I agree with this. I wonder if the lumber tariffs and the increasing prices will dissuade developers from being such cheap asses.
With have to be careful here. Not only are you talking about unfairly taxing a building material, but you are also talking about taxing the sustainable building material. Wood is becoming more and more common, because yes it is cheaper, but thermally it has better characteristics then your typical metal stud.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:58 AM   #37
CBCArch61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
The better question may be, how do we increase the safety of these buildings throughout the entire life cycle. We have post occupancy down with active systems, but how do we improve the pre occupancy safety?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #38
stellarfun

This fire seemed to originate in, and was largely confined to the peaked roof. As a matter of general practice, are these sort of roofs sprinklered? They generally don't sprinkler cocklofts to my knowledge, which is why firestops are essential.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #39
Brad Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDrew View Post
Vinyl siding, on plywood, in a grossly fake colonial style. Did they have a chance to install the pressure-treated railings, plastic shutters, and the vinyl white picket fence before this tragedy? When will America finally move beyond all this delusional and perverse nostalgia to something that actually elevates the human spirit instead of drowning it in old-timey schlock?
Brad Plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:45 AM   #40
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Plaid View Post
Vinyl siding, on plywood, in a grossly fake colonial style....When will America finally move beyond all this delusional and perverse nostalgia...?
When vinyl siding is available in styles that mimic beton brut and alucobond?

Tags
new community, south weymouth