archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #441
DBM

Re: Providence developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolio View Post
Providence really has an amazing opportunity with the recent relocation of I-195. This should be for them what the Big Dig was for Boston... the removal of a hulking elevated highway and its associated mess of ramps to reunite two previously disconnected parts of the city. We're talking a dozen or more blocks here, countless acres of new cityscape. It's practically a blank slate.

Filling it in will knit the downtown back together, and bring massive opportunity to the forlorn Jewelry District. Areas that were the hinterlands before, cowering in the shadow of an elevated highway less than 10 years ago, are now prime real estate. As cool as it would be for the Hope Point tower to come to fruition, I don't think it's necessary. Just filling in the space with five story buildings would make Providence feel twice as big, opening up new areas and bringing foot traffic to previously isolated areas.

I look forward to seeing it all unfold. I think that keeping the scale of the development small will be key. Hopefully they can avoid the massive block-sized developments that we saw quickly fill in Bulfinch Triangle.
Your optimism is laudable and I hope it all comes to pass like you say. However, consider all the surface parking lots pockmarking the prime Downtown core. I count at least a dozen from a quick Google maps survey. Consider:

1.) These surface lots are dead prime Downtown core.
2.) Therefore they would command the highest rents if they were developed into office, retail, residential, hotel, what have you.
3.) Yet they still sit fallow.
4.) Therefore developers have concluded they still aren't worth the risk.
5.) Therefore why would developers bother with the vacant lots opened up by the I-195 realignment, in the Jewelry District, given how the rents those redeveloped parcels would command would be less than the parking lots in the prime Downtown core?

The only potentially hidden subtexts to this that I can foresee is that:

1.) All those surface parking lots in the prime Downtown core are somehow encumbered with terrible handicaps--subsurface toxic sediments, etc.--that make them far less appealing than it would appear superficially, and

2.) Providence development officials would have to--or perhaps already are?-- tip(ping) the scales in favor of giving development prioritization to those newly opened-up Jewelry District parcels--despite the fact that, again, compared to the prime Downtown surface parking lots--they couldn't command as much rent, therefore the buildings built on them wouldn't be as sleek/competitive, therefore they'd be worth less, therefore they'd pay less property taxes, therefore poor policy.

Neither 1.) nor 2.) sounds good to me....
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:57 PM   #442
Poolio

A sobering reality check perhaps, but I do tend to towards optimism. Whether the city is able to capitalize on the opportunity remains to be seen, but the opportunity is there nonetheless.

My optimism extends from the progress already made in a relatively short time. Wexford, South St Landing, the new research building at JWU; Aloft and Chestnut Commons pending soon; all those proposals for parcel 28; the park, the pedestrian bridge. It feels like there's some momentum now that's been lacking for a while.

And while all those surface lots are damning, we are seeing some progress in the downtown core as well with Edge College Hill, Providence Station Commons, Homewood Suites, the Residence Inn over on Fountain St.

The architecture is mostly banal, and the scale modest. But it is this modesty of scale that leads me to think this can be sustainable. Smaller cheaper developments are easier to get off the ground, less of a risk, and feed into that momentum to encourage further investment. And for a beleaguered and underachieving city like Providence, a blank slate and new branding does feel like a shot of optimism.
Poolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:29 PM   #443
Hubman

If they fill the entire empty Iway land with good density and uses they effectively double the size of Providence's CBD.

I'm pretty optimistic. It'll take time, but staggering the development can be good.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #444
stick n move

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
Your optimism is laudable and I hope it all comes to pass like you say. However, consider all the surface parking lots pockmarking the prime Downtown core. I count at least a dozen from a quick Google maps survey. Consider:

1.) These surface lots are dead prime Downtown core.
2.) Therefore they would command the highest rents if they were developed into office, retail, residential, hotel, what have you.
3.) Yet they still sit fallow.
4.) Therefore developers have concluded they still aren't worth the risk.
5.) Therefore why would developers bother with the vacant lots opened up by the I-195 realignment, in the Jewelry District, given how the rents those redeveloped parcels would command would be less than the parking lots in the prime Downtown core?

The only potentially hidden subtexts to this that I can foresee is that:

1.) All those surface parking lots in the prime Downtown core are somehow encumbered with terrible handicaps--subsurface toxic sediments, etc.--that make them far less appealing than it would appear superficially, and

2.) Providence development officials would have to--or perhaps already are?-- tip(ping) the scales in favor of giving development prioritization to those newly opened-up Jewelry District parcels--despite the fact that, again, compared to the prime Downtown surface parking lots--they couldn't command as much rent, therefore the buildings built on them wouldn't be as sleek/competitive, therefore they'd be worth less, therefore they'd pay less property taxes, therefore poor policy.

Neither 1.) nor 2.) sounds good to me....
Theres actually a bunch of new proposals for the i95 lots though. Theyre low rises. Ill go find em, get em gathered up, and then post them in a bit. Im not sure what the hold up had been, but theres a bunch in the pipeline now. If I remember correctly they even named/created a new district, kind of like assembly, or it may be from what was there before 95 was built, I cant remember right now, but Ill go find them and post em soon.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:09 PM   #445
stick n move

-Wait I had posted one of the 195 proposals already in post 437 above in the 3rd link.
http://www.archboston.org/community/...&postcount=437

That third render is one of the projects and the link has more. Theres more projects planned outside of these specific parcels too for the 195 area. These are proposals for the 195 corridor though that were posted above the performing arts building that you guys were distracted by. Ill still find more though as this is not everything either.

Heres the 195 proposals:
http://www.gcpvd.org/2019/03/27/i-19...march-27-2019/

...also if you click on (greater city providence) at the top it will go to the home page of the website with all of the Providence development projects/proposals. That 500 tower is also linked at the bottom of the link above.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #446
Hubman

DMG has good height but it is unfortunately very wide. The other proposals seem OK.

Google Earth just updated for Providence and you can begin to see some stuff filling in.

The Wexford Building is in as far as I know.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #447
stick n move

Heres some more for the 195 corridor.

https://pbn.com/2-additional-develop...-195-district/

And a massing model of what it will look like when filled in.

Old 04-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #448
Poolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
There are three proposals for Parcel 28 depicted in that link, but you have to click through to see the other 2. Here are the links to all five:

DMG
Exeter
Waldorf
Pennrose
Post Road

Edit: Heh, you beat me to the punch, stick. Yep, those are the other two. Just to be clear though, those are all proposals for the same parcel. I haven't seen that massing model before though.
Poolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 07:02 PM   #449
DBM

Thanks for posting all of those, Stick.

I'm impressed with how there's just as much density, apparently, for the proposals on the west side of I-95 trench as there is for the ones on the east side, even though the east side is obviously more favored for not being amputated from the downtown core by the I-95 trench.

That said, regarding those west side proposals--will the Federal Hill community to the north go ballistic (or is it already furious?) about them, given the perception that Federal Hill is a special, perhaps vulnerable, cultural district?

Or maybe they're buffered from Federal Hill in a way I can't perceive. It's tough to tell from this northern birds-eye-view vantage point (as impressive as it is, otherwise)...
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:13 AM   #450
stick n move

78 Fountain st has steel up to the first floor now.

https://pbn.com/site-work-for-new-co...in-providence/
Old 05-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #451
Lrfox

^That's actually one of my favorites in PVD right now. Lots of the new hotels and downtown projects are so boring and generic they make the blandest of Seaport boxes look inspiring.

Also kind of wild to look at just how much room for development there is adjacent to downtown Providence. It should be a prerequisite to show that massing model next to a current aerial at any meeting where people are complaining about "overdevelopment" and lack of space in Providence (and there are plenty).
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote