archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #281
estyle

Re: Roxbury Developments

Roxbury in general seems to suffer from the super block more than other areas of Boston. Probably because they are government projects and people used the latest idea. It is sad that one of the most beautiful areas of Boston, with such great natural topography, has been so badly abused. I hope as those developments age out they are replaced in a way that is more connected, per Whittier and Orient Heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post

Looks like that land was cleared for the interchange (1962). Obviously plans changed as Madison Park/Campus High UR was developed after the interchange was moved.

A small point of interest, I never understood why the small residential section along Melnea Cass had the extra side streets right up against the boulevard. Clearly they were designed when I-695 was still planned and they wanted to keep them separate from the frontage roads. It's a total waste of space today.
estyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:10 PM   #282
vanshnookenraggen

Part of what I'm railing against is that the city isn't doing anything to fix these problems. They are keeping most of the mid-20th Century planning mistakes and just in filling the parts that never got filled or leaving small new sections to developers. I'm not suggesting we go back to the top down planning of old but rather look at the street grid and think of ways for new development to knit the city back together, rather than this suburban sprawl going on.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #283
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
Part of what I'm railing against is that the city isn't doing anything to fix these problems. They are keeping most of the mid-20th Century planning mistakes and just in filling the parts that never got filled or leaving small new sections to developers. I'm not suggesting we go back to the top down planning of old but rather look at the street grid and think of ways for new development to knit the city back together, rather than this suburban sprawl going on.
The barriers separating Roxbury from the rest of the city are significant, and the numerous no outlet street systems that comprise the endless housing projects only reinforce the ghettoization - in the true meaning of that word. The Longwood Medical Area is literally right down the street from Dudley but it's worlds apart.. you've got Columbus Ave + the Orange Line, but the entire east wall of Columbus is superblocks of Roxbury CC, then Madison Park, then the Whittier St development. They'll never repair the street grid through RCC, but I fear there will be little change as re Madison. The Tremont Crossing development looks like maybe there will be some tiny connection, Dudley-ward, but I'm sure it will be some one way BS road or something. And I am sure there will be endless resistance from the neighborhood as well as school to doing what really needs to be done, which is a two way roadway connection from Columbus to Dudley that's between Melnea and Malcolm X.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #284
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
numerous no outlet street systems
I'm totally getting off topic here, but I think this really fucks up traffic in many places. Alewife is so bad because they thought it would be a good idea to drop off a highway into a single city street (Alewife Parkway) and connect it to a bunch of streets that don't have any outlets. It's a recipe for disaster and the worst designed part of the Boston area. Even the transit station is not at all pedestrian friendly.

Roxbury doesn't have the traffic issues of Alewife. But they should definitively try to transform some of the low income housing into mixed income denser developments.

Although to be honest I think the percentage of low income residents needs to be a third or less for it to work the best. Any higher, and the property values of the market rate would be dragged down and the place would still turn into the ghetto that housing projects created when they were built.

I think the city should have pushed harder to include more affordable units in the Seaport rather then pushing it out to poorer areas. A spread of subsidized units is much better then having the units concentrated in certain neighborhoods.
tysmith95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #285
vanshnookenraggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Although to be honest I think the percentage of low income residents needs to be a third or less for it to work the best. Any higher, and the property values of the market rate would be dragged down and the place would still turn into the ghetto that housing projects created when they were built.
This is a fine line to walk because mixing incomes often leaves out services that cater to the poorer residents simply because they themselves cannot afford to be there anymore. Breaking up poor neighborhoods is even more disastrous because the social support system is itself so important and fragile. Middle class residents have more options but poorer residents don't. This means that an area like Dudley Sq needs to be redeveloped more consciously than other, more affluent areas. All I'm saying is we can do that AND create a better urban environment at the same time.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 PM   #286
BeeLine

1065 Tremont Phase II

1004-08 Tremont

Last edited by BeeLine; 06-13-2018 at 10:04 PM.
BeeLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 PM   #287
BeeLine

150 Camden

This is the Madison Melnea Cass Apartment Project.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:52 PM   #288
BeeLine

2489-93 Washington

Old 06-28-2018, 06:37 AM   #289
Suffolk 83

I drove on Washington from Cummings hwy to Melnea Cass for the first time since last summer and wow there's a lot of development on that stretch since then.

Beeline maybe you know whats the large development that has its foundation dug near Boston Latin?
Suffolk 83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 AM   #290
BeeLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk 83 View Post
I drove on Washington from Cummings hwy to Melnea Cass for the first time since last summer and wow there's a lot of development on that stretch since then.

Beeline maybe you know whats the large development that has its foundation dug near Boston Latin?
Responce to your question on the JP Infill thread.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:15 AM   #291
BeeLine

Foundation work has started at 2731 Washington
Old 07-16-2018, 05:23 PM   #292

Quote:
Developer Michael McGough of Dorchester has filed plans with the BPDA to replace a vacant lot on Warren Street at Winthrop Street in Dudley Square with a five-story, 21-studio apartment building - with ground-floor space for a restaurant or shop.

https://www.universalhub.com/2018/st...ant-lot-dudley
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #293
BeeLine

Old 07-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #294
BeeLine

Old 07-28-2018, 11:04 PM   #295
BeeLine

Old 07-28-2018, 11:10 PM   #296
BeeLine

40 Raynor Circle

Old 07-28-2018, 11:17 PM   #297
BeeLine

600 Melena Cass Blvd

Old 08-23-2018, 10:11 PM   #298
BeeLine

2489-93 Washington

Old 08-24-2018, 06:02 AM   #299
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLine View Post
For relatively low cost construction and materials, this building came out pretty nice! There seems to be just enough going on here to make it interesting to look at.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:48 PM   #300
FK4

A Dunkin is big for this area. Great.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote