archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:31 PM   #121
fattony

Re: Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial | Boston Common | Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbrat View Post
final execution of the sculpture, placement, and maintenance will be everything with this, of course, but i recall many in chicago HATING "the bean" to begin with and now it's an iconic and beloved signature element of that city. it may be too much to hope for precisely the same outcome with this project, but i don't think it's entirely outside of the realm of possibility. the sculpture is pretty daring and it's scope is substantial. i say: tone down the negativity and get behind this thing.
People take their picture reflected (along with the skyline) in Chicago's bean. They take photos under the Philly LOVE sign, often kissing. How cool would it be for it become "a thing" to take pictures standing under Boston's Embrace hugging your friends, family, strangers, etc. This is just the type of sculpture that can reach that sort of icon status.
fattony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #122
chrisbrat

exactly! here's hoping this is executed, situated, and maintained in such a way as to do precisely that.
chrisbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #123
stick n move

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
People take their picture reflected (along with the skyline) in Chicago's bean. They take photos under the Philly LOVE sign, often kissing. How cool would it be for it become "a thing" to take pictures standing under Boston's Embrace hugging your friends, family, strangers, etc. This is just the type of sculpture that can reach that sort of icon status.
I absolutely see this happening. Everyone knows what the bean in Chicago is, because of the interaction it gets. Everyone will know that this sculpture in Boston is the MLK memorial, where you hug your s/o and take a picture. This is going to be a must-see spot in Boston, drawing more people to enjoy our common, and becoming an instant classic and icon. Things that cause you to interact with them in a positive way, and are also “instagram-able”, and fun are huge hits with people. Then all of those people will be tagging that they are at the Boston MLK memorial... spreading it to more and more people. Something that comes with a fun tradition like hugging your s/o in a picture causing interaction and positive feelings are what separate your run of the mill statue from a bean. Many additions to the public realm in all different cities have been chided at first, only to become excellent additions that you cant imagine the city without. This is going to be one of them.

Note the guy sitting down playing the sax haha. I hope this comes with a dedicated saxophone player...thatd be badass.

Last edited by stick n move; 03-07-2019 at 03:14 AM.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #124
BarbaricManchurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
too big p/c garbage in the wrong place.

put a normal sized statue of him on the Common, Liberty Tree site, or other place.
What exactly is pc about this? Get your hateful white nationalist bullshit out of here. Not sure why we let racist political trolls run rampant on a development discussion forum.
BarbaricManchurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #125
vanshnookenraggen

Chicago is going to give you so much crap for ripping off the Bean.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:36 AM   #126
Sprngh2o

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaricManchurian View Post
What exactly is pc about this? Get your hateful white nationalist bullshit out of here. Not sure why we let racist political trolls run rampant on a development discussion forum.
When in doubt play race card.
Sprngh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #127
BarbaricManchurian

So why is this "pc" again?
Old 03-08-2019, 08:56 AM   #128
goody

Am I the only one that hates the pavement treatment here? It looks dated already.

I also feel like the plaza they are creating needs more activation/seating. How is that space going to be used?
goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:09 AM   #129
awood91

Send a message via AIM to awood91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprngh2o View Post
Your objection is bullshit when you know full well how defining race is in regards to social and economic status in this country. If that conversation triggers you it says much more about you than anything or anyone else. Take your bitching elsewhere.
awood91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:12 AM   #130
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprngh2o View Post
Can we break off an aggrieved white dude thread so the aggrieved white dudes can discuss their persecution without clogging up other threads? Seemed to mostly work for the height fetishism.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #131
statler

The pavement design isn't great, plus in the renderings it looks like there are large gaps between the panels? I'm sure it just the way it is rendered.

(BTW I've found if you replace the phrase "PC" with some form of the word "kindness" "compassion" or "empathy" it works about 99% of the time)
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #132
Money

Quote:
So why is this "pc" again?
You can always block him instead of spewing vitriol and further derailing the thread; that's what I did recently, and it's done wonders for my blood pressure.

Half the time his comments are ambiguous and/or incoherent...you shouldn't even attempt to try and understand him.
Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #133
BarbaricManchurian

Well why the fuck are we tolerating this? This is a forum on development, not a place to spew alt-right intolerance. So anyone whose purpose here is to espouse those views should be shown the door like Rifleman.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #134
jass

Quote:
Well why the fuck are we tolerating this? This is a forum on development, not a place to spew alt-right intolerance. So anyone whose purpose here is to espouse those views should be shown the door like Rifleman.
Agreed.
jass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #135
nm88

Quote:
Seconded.
nm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #136
nm88

And yes, hope the pavement treatment gets refined.
nm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #137
Padre Mike

I love this sculpture. Right size, right placement, right color/finish, right material and most of all, the right abstraction to offer remembrance and tribute to MLK. He embraced all of humanity to encourage our better selves. This is the message I hope all will get.
Padre Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #138
stick n move

https://archpaper.com/2019/03/hank-w...lery-0-slide-3
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:20 PM   #139
tobyjug

If the paving cam be improved and the sculpture kept polished and shiny, I'll like it at that spot!
tobyjug is offline   Reply With Quote