archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 05-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #1

Proposed Kindred Hospital Site Redevelopment | 1515 Commonwealth Ave. | Brighton

Quote:
Boston-based real estate development firm The Davis Cos. intends to develop a 330-unit residential building with a 200-space, above-ground parking garage at the site of a shuttered Kindred Care hospital in Brighton.
https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/n..._news_headline
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 01:49 PM   #2
FK4

Re: Kindred Care hospital redevelopment

Was there something planned for this site several years ago that fell through? I remember something along this stretch where that happened.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
bigpicture7

^We'd discussed this previously in the Allston-Brighton thread here.

The sale of the property was reported a bit over a year ago; since then it has been used as a satellite parking lot for the Franciscan Children's hospital nearby, I believe. This activity is more recent then you're recalling. The hospital was in regular operation through mid/late 2017.

Given that this will be 300+ units, I agree it deserves its on thread.

However, Mods, can we please correct the title to:
Kindred Hospital Site Redevelopment | 1515 Commonwealth Ave. | Brighton
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #4
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
^We'd discussed this previously in the Allston-Brighton thread here.

The sale of the property was reported a bit over a year ago; since then it has been used as a satellite parking lot for the Franciscan Children's hospital nearby, I believe. This activity is more recent then you're recalling. The hospital was in regular operation through mid/late 2017.
Then I'm thinking of another site along that uphill, outbound side of Comm, that I thought was healthcare-related. Several years ago, something was planned, then nothing happened (and maybe eventually did? but don't remember details).
Old 05-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #5
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
Then I'm thinking of another site along that uphill, outbound side of Comm, that I thought was healthcare-related. Several years ago, something was planned, then nothing happened (and maybe eventually did? but don't remember details).
Indeed there are at least two other recent "healthcare-related site redevelopment" projects along this same hill.

One was the medical office building that was recently gut-renovated into an apartment building (1505 Comm. Ave.) Discussed in the Allston-Brighton thread.

The other was a portion of the Brighton Marine campus that is being redeveloped into veterans' housing (1465 Comm. Ave.). Dedicate aB thread here.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #6
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
Indeed there are at least two other recent "healthcare-related site redevelopment" projects along this same hill.

One was the medical office building that was recently gut-renovated into an apartment building (1505 Comm. Ave.) Discussed in the Allston-Brighton thread.

The other was a portion of the Brighton Marine campus that is being redeveloped into veterans' housing (1465 Comm. Ave.). Dedicate aB thread here.
Might have been the former, def not the latter. Doesn't really matter, I just recall several years ago there being a planned dev up on that hill that went quiet for a while, maybe eventually got built. It's a weird little area that I never find myself in.

Edit - by weird, I just mean it's a decent chunk of space but there's no reason anyone would go there unless it was a destination. Since I've traversed almost all of Brookline, Allston and Brighton constantly for years, it's an odd little black box to me and I've probably only been in the neighborhoods off of that northern carriageway on either side of Washington less than five times.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
BeeLine

Current state of the site.

W face and front entrance.

SE corner
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLine View Post
Current state of the site.

SE corner
From this perspective, there’s something awesome about this building.
Old 05-07-2019, 06:13 AM   #9
bigpicture7

Mods, can we correct the thread title?
should be something like:

Kindred Hospital Site Redevelopment | 1515 Commonwealth Ave. | Brighton