archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #341
Equilibria

Re: Providence developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Exactly. Also, why not take advantage of the river frontage and build a promenade or public park (so the space is publicly accessible 24/7 which would help ownership's case for how this benefits the community) instead of building a driveway and surface lot.

And why place the least activated side of the park (the towering blank wall) along Main St. Why not spin it so home plate is closest to the corner of Main and Broadway so the most active areas (box office, team shop, dining, retail, gates to the stands, etc.) are all right on the street?

And for emphasis- "build the damn thing yourself" is right.
The orientation of ballparks to face NE is actually in the MLB rules:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/lost-in...k-orientation/

Now, that doesn't mean the final design should have a towering blank wall there. Once you're in the ballpark, it doesn't really matter what corner "home" is. Fenway's home plate is at Yawkey and Van Ness, but most people would intuitively guess that it's at Yawkey and Brookline. You can put a grand entrance in the outfield just fine.

I agree with you that they've rendered the right site in the wrong way. I hope that if they actually hire an architect they'll get something better . Otherwise, it'll end up like Manchester.

Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #342
kingofsheeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post

http://www.hardballtimes.com/lost-in...k-orientation/

Now, that doesn't mean the final design should have a towering blank wall there. Once you're in the ballpark, it doesn't really matter what corner "home" is. Fenway's home plate is at Yawkey and Van Ness, but most people would intuitively guess that it's at Yawkey and Brookline. You can put a grand entrance in the outfield just fine.

I agree with you that they've rendered the right site in the wrong way. I hope that if they actually hire an architect they'll get something better . Otherwise, it'll end up like Manchester.

Oh, gawd. Northeast Delta Dental Stadium is an eyesore. Every time I see it on my way up to work, I cringe.
kingofsheeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:32 PM   #343
Equilibria

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...yaN/story.html

At least they're trying...
Old 04-20-2017, 11:38 AM   #344
Hubman

Quote:
Sports is so much like a religion.
Hubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #345
Equilibria

Apparently, proposal was made yesterday.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...twM/story.html

Larry's lined up public support from the Mayor and Governor. Name is "Ballpark at Slater Mill", though the financing plan of course includes naming rights.

http://www.rifuture.org/ballpark-at-slater-mill/

Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 AM   #346
Lrfox

^Apart from the surface parking, that's... that's not terrible. Especially if the development across the street ends up looking like the rendering (at least the scale).

Surface parking along the waterfront is, ehem, a big swing and a miss though. If I were in Pawtucket, I'd fight that aspect of the development tooth and nail. I think the requested investment from the city/state for a "publicly owned park" is pretty fair. However, Rhode Islander's are understandably sensitive and skeptical about these sorts of things. Coincidentally, the combined public investment (city/state) is $38 Million Dollars. 38 was Curt Schilling's number and part of the name of his failed Rhode Island company (38 Studios)- the poster child for bad Rhode Island investments. #Conspiracy #Illuminati
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:56 AM   #347
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
^Apart from the surface parking, that's... that's not terrible. Especially if the development across the street ends up looking like the rendering (at least the scale).

Surface parking along the waterfront is, ehem, a big swing and a miss though. If I were in Pawtucket, I'd fight that aspect of the development tooth and nail. I think the requested investment from the city/state for a "publicly owned park" is pretty fair. However, Rhode Islander's are understandably sensitive and skeptical about these sorts of things. Coincidentally, the combined public investment (city/state) is $38 Million Dollars. 38 was Curt Schilling's number and part of the name of his failed Rhode Island company (38 Studios)- the poster child for bad Rhode Island investments. #Conspiracy #Illuminati
Thing is, structured parking is expensive. Pawtucket does not yet have a Commuter Rail stop and this site is right on I-95, so people are driving to these games, potentially from a long distance. If you built a garage, that just tacks on to the required public spending.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #348
Lrfox

Quote:
Thing is, structured parking is expensive. Pawtucket does not yet have a Commuter Rail stop and this site is right on I-95, so people are driving to these games, potentially from a long distance. If you built a garage, that just tacks on to the required public spending.
I know- I completely understand why it is that way. I just don't like it. I hope that, in the future, a garage is on the table. Surface parking is an extreme waste of prime real estate.

Even with commuter rail (the proposed stop is about a mile away and the walk meanders through some ugly, not necessarily pedestrian friendly areas) and a decent bus system, the vast majority of fans will be arriving by car. So parking- and plenty of it- is a necessary evil here and likely always will be. I just wish they'd build a garage.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #349
Poolio

I was in Providence this past weekend and noticed a large crane perched on Canal Street. A little digging found that this 15 story apartment building by DBVW Architects has begun construction at 169 Canal Street. Also called Edge College Hill, the building will feature 200+ micro apartments, first floor commercial space, and a fitness center. Construction is scheduled for completion in summer 2018.

Link: Construction starts at Edge College Hill

Here are some earlier renderings that show the building as originally proposed at 13 stories, before a height variance was requested and evidently approved:

Poolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #350
Lrfox

^Thanks. I think there are a few projects downcity that have broken ground recently or are about to. Including a few hotels. None of them are particularly wonderful in terms of design, though.

As someone who lived there, Downtown Providence is so frustrating. The city itself is awesome. My favorite city in New England to eat/drink outside of Boston/Cambridge/Somerville, and many of the neighborhoods are vibrant, fun, and full of cool places. While downcity is improving, I can't get over how many gaps in the streetwall, and empty storefronts still exist. The focus on apartments/condos is great. And hopefully that will help, but I hate how de-centralized all of the activity is. I took my girlfriend (who is from the Burlington VT area) down there a few weeks ago and she loved it, but also remarked on how dead downtown was. It's the opposite of places like Burlington with most of the active retail/dining corridors outside of downtown. To see the best of Providence, you have to go to Federal Hill, College Hill, Broadway, Fox Pint, etc. It'd be a hell of a lot nicer if they complimented a more vibrant downtown.