archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 02-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #3041
sm89

Re: Biking in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
Boston also posted a great page about their experiences with separated bike lanes so far, focusing on winter maintenance: https://www.boston.gov/news/how-were...e-lanes-winter

Small differences between Beacon Street and Mass Ave are being tested against each other, such as having the flex posts in different parts of the buffer zone, and how they are attached to the asphalt. Beacon Street (posts in the middle of the buffer space and with bases paved into the asphalt) is winning it seems. Most of the Mass Ave posts got plowed away during the first storm back in January.
It's not a test. They needed 10ft between the curb and flex post for street sweepers, etc. They had that room on Beacon, but not Mass.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:58 AM   #3042
Scipio

Ah, thanks for the correction. The page read like they were doing A/B testing.
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:57 PM   #3043
Joel N. Weber II

Re: Beacon St Somerville Cycle Track

The new eastbound Beacon St cycle track in Somerville had some ice on it earlier this evening; I have no idea whether the city is planning to improve snow / ice clearing in the future.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #3044
Arlington

Tower-dwellers and office workers: If your building has a front desk or maintenance person, ask to borrow their snow shovel and dig out 3 bike spaces on the sidewalk in front of your building. We can do this.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:39 PM   #3045
Scipio

Here's a plan from Northeastern to put bike lanes on the very constrained part of Longwood Ave through the Longwood Medical Area:

Can't say that I love it, but it's probably the best that can be done while still keeping two-way traffic moving along the street.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #3046
Joel N. Weber II

Longwood Ave bicycle infrastructure

Assuming that they did accurately measure the street width and figure out how much can fit there, then yes, I think that Longwood Ave bike lane proposal is about as good as can be done if we assume a project scope that excludes the possibility of rebuilding curbs or building a protected cycle track, and therefore the paint they recommend should be applied as soon as the snow plowing season is over.

If negotiating with private property owners and rebuilding curbs and such is potentially in scope in the somewhat longer term, then note that just to the west of Brookline Ave on Longwood Ave, the building to the south has a very wide sidewalk, and it might be possible to convert some of that sidewalk to a cycle track, and on the north side of Longwood Ave is a parking lot; moving that fence wouldn't be all that physically difficult if the owners of that lot were willing to let it shrink a bit. But whether a protected cycle track could interact well with the intersection is an open question.

A first phase of a Longwood Ave protected cycle track project might want to consider focusing on Muddy River path to Brookline Ave, although I'm also not sure how well the current condition of the Muddy River path accomodates biking.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #3047
jass

Re: Longwood Ave bicycle infrastructure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel N. Weber II View Post
Assuming that they did accurately measure the street width and figure out how much can fit there, then yes, I think that Longwood Ave bike lane proposal is about as good as can be done
Not exactly. Some project managers will demand 11 foot lanes. others will go to 9.5 feet
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:16 PM   #3048
Scipio

Boston posted their design for the South Bay Harbor Trail:

https://www.boston.gov/sites/default...ail_design.pdf

The basics are an inbound buffered bike lane over the Fourth Street bridge, an outbound buffered bike lane over the Broadway bridge, a two-way multiuse path that connects to the Albany Street bike lanes, new bike lanes on Dot Ave and an odd jughandle offramp cycle track to connect the Broadway bridge to the existing Harborwalk by Gilette.

At first glance I was pretty confused looking at the plans and so hope there is a great system of signs to direct people through the area. Just based on where it is there's no way this will be a pleasant experience due to the highway ramps and high-speed traffic on the bridges. But it's a safer link between South Boston and the South End as long as people understand how to use it.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 AM   #3049
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
Boston posted their design for the South Bay Harbor Trail:

https://www.boston.gov/sites/default...ail_design.pdf

The basics are an inbound buffered bike lane over the Fourth Street bridge, an outbound buffered bike lane over the Broadway bridge, a two-way multiuse path that connects to the Albany Street bike lanes, new bike lanes on Dot Ave and an odd jughandle offramp cycle track to connect the Broadway bridge to the existing Harborwalk by Gilette.

At first glance I was pretty confused looking at the plans and so hope there is a great system of signs to direct people through the area. Just based on where it is there's no way this will be a pleasant experience due to the highway ramps and high-speed traffic on the bridges. But it's a safer link between South Boston and the South End as long as people understand how to use it.
I bike through that area all the time.

I really don't have any issues crossing either bridge in traffic. It is not the most pleasant ride in the world, but it is not particularly dangerous either. The drivers are pretty well behaved with bikes in the flow.

I do question the utility of marked bike lanes without some kind of separation (which is how I am reading the diagram). I think cars will just drive right over them (like they do on D Street in Southie).
Old 03-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #3050
Shepard

Is that a new overpass coming into Albany St? EDIT: or, underpass I guess?
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 09:51 AM   #3051
BKNA

correct, under 93. there is a connection between the 2 Frontage Roads there. the bike path will be to the south of the existing road.
BKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:04 PM   #3052
JeffDowntown

^ You think about it, this is an impressive amount of bike and pedestrian friendly infrastructure.

I think we are really headed for critical mass where this all starts to work together.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #3053
stevebikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
I bike through that area all the time.

I really don't have any issues crossing either bridge in traffic. It is not the most pleasant ride in the world, but it is not particularly dangerous either. The drivers are pretty well behaved with bikes in the flow.

I do question the utility of marked bike lanes without some kind of separation (which is how I am reading the diagram). I think cars will just drive right over them (like they do on D Street in Southie).
I went to the meeting about this a couple of months ago. A lot of people were disappointed with the lanes on the bridges, but the upshot is they only have so much money right now, and they need to spend it quickly before they lose it, so they can't do much more than paint new lanes on the bridges. They want to get something in now, and then revisit once the bigger Melnea Cass project happens.
stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:06 PM   #3054
sm89

The current South Bay Harbor Trail drawings are an example of a designer "falling in love with their project". They are so focused on making the SBHT great, that they propose ruining or at least very negatively impacting every other cross bike connection that doesn't need it. Why on Earth would they build the bridge's bike lane forcing all bikes onto SBHT? A majority are heading down Berkeley into the Back Bay. There's a maze of lanes circling Foundry St, but what about bikes to and from W Broadway? The path itself looks great, but all of the connections to it are horrible and counterproductive.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:18 AM   #3055
cden4

Totally agree. It shouldn't be difficult to do both. The Boston Bikes Network Plan shows protected bike lanes on the Broadway Bridge and standard bike lanes on the W 4th St Bridge. A 2-way protected bike lane on the south side of the Broadway Bridge could serve as the main connector for the SBHT and also allow bikes to continue west on Traveler St avoiding the awkward traffic pattern for cars that disallows this. Two one-way bike lanes on the W 4th St Bridge would serve the cross-town bike traffic really nicely.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #3056
Joel N. Weber II

Re: Longwood Ave bicycle infrastructure

I'm wondering whether protected bicycle lanes along Longwood Ave from the Muddy River path to Avenue Louis Pasteur and then along Avenue Louis Pasteur from Longwood to the Muddy River path would be feasible.

There is a bit of a pinch point on Longwood just east of Brookline Ave, where eastbound traffic really wants both a travel lane and a bus stop, and westbound traffic seems to want three lanes; maybe the westbound right turns onto Brookline Ave could be diverted away from that intersection via Binney to physically remove that dedicated right turn lane from that intersection (and make the right lane on the narrowed road permit both right turns and straight through movements)?