archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 PM   #2081
F-Line to Dudley

Re: Assembly Row (Assembly Sq Redevelopment) | Assembly Square | Somerville

Puma's Westford HQ is a little less than 5 miles from the Littleton stop on the Fitchburg Line, and MRTA has a bus route out of the station hitting Puma, IBM, and downtown Littleton. So their employees have long been able to enjoy car-free or car-few commutes.

Biggest problem with the Assembly relocation for existing employees is that the Littleton and North Billerica lots and Lowell garage are amongst the most perennially overstuffed on the entire northside.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #2082
jklo

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
Puma's Westford HQ is a little less than 5 miles from the Littleton stop on the Fitchburg Line, and MRTA has a bus route out of the station hitting Puma, IBM, and downtown Littleton. So their employees have long been able to enjoy car-free or car-few commutes.
Using the trip planner, just the commuter rail ride from the Littleton stop plus the orange line transfer is 1:05 for the South Acton Express and 1:20 for the regular stops. Plus you have to account for ensuring you make it, delays, etc, not to mention the drive time.

The existing workers aren't going to find any comparable job near Westford, so regardless whether they get laid off or not, they will need to move.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #2083
RandomWalk

Even with a shuttle to a transit station, a suburban office park is stiflingly isolated. If you are jammed up with a problem, you donít have many alternatives to clear your head. At Assembly Square you could hop on the Orange Line, get lunch at a hole in the wall downtown, and come back with a new perspective.

I remember my short time in the office parks near Raytheonís HQ in Waltham as an awful experience.
RandomWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:41 AM   #2084
Ruairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWalk View Post
Even with a shuttle to a transit station, a suburban office park is stiflingly isolated. If you are jammed up with a problem, you donít have many alternatives to clear your head. At Assembly Square you could hop on the Orange Line, get lunch at a hole in the wall downtown, and come back with a new perspective.

I remember my short time in the office parks near Raytheonís HQ in Waltham as an awful experience.
Or, just walk 10 mins and grab Taco Loco in east Somerville.
I know some progress is being made with trying to tie Assembly to East Somerville, but christ, it seems to move at a snails pace given the amount of private investment happening.
Ruairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:11 PM   #2085
DigitalSciGuy

We're talking about transit access to office parks 'near' Littleton like they were TOD... Let's not delude ourselves: these people likely drive to their current office in Westford at the end of 'Lyberty Way' (what a name 🙄 ) amidst a cluster of car-oriented stuff off the same 495 exit.

I mean, look at that 4-story car park podium in the Puma office like it's straight out of Sanford, Connecticut! There's an expectation that these people might follow Puma into AR right off I-93 and we're certainly encouraging it for the foreseeable decades to come. How full is Partners' massive 2k+ space garage on a daily basis? Is there no way for them to set up shared parking arrangements?

How full are any of the garages built into the housing for that matter? I'm going to keep beating this drum because now that we're almost a decade into this area redevelopment, Somerville ought to pause and review parking utilisation rates and rethink what they've got left in the bank here. People will continue to work, shop, and live here even if there were no parking here. We're past the tipping point of the island effect. Seattle would KILL for a rapid transit line like the Orange Line and it's led the nation with its zero-parking TOD zoning.
DigitalSciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #2086
tysmith95

Don't have pictures, but it looks like a lot of construction going on at parcel 8 (at least from the orange line).
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #2087
stick n move

Federal Realty

Curbed has a render with parcels 5B and 8.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #2088
DigitalSciGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Don't have pictures, but it looks like a lot of construction going on at parcel 8 (at least from the orange line).
Looks like its mainly pile work for the foundation.
DigitalSciGuy is offline   Reply With Quote